April 30, 2024, 03:10:10 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

TPS for '99 Touring

Started by djl, June 17, 2020, 06:58:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djl

A friend is have a devil of a time looking for one.  PN 27271-95 may be discontinued. dunno but he is running out of options.  Any suggestions, perhaps the aftemarket?

MikeL

The dreaded M/M Fuel Injection. Carb conversion may be the best way to go. I did my 2000 RKC and never looked back.

MIKE

Finn

-83 GS1000G | -84 GSX1100EF | -97 FLHR | -98 FLSTS | -16 Triumph Tiger Explorer XRT 1200

djl

Thanks Finn.  My buddy has looked for used; no luck.  Checked out the link provided and it appears  promising but I couldn't figure out how to order.

cheech

DJI, Be sure of what you get!
The original is a PF4C. And it is slotted. If I remember right, in order to dial in the voltage per the service manual.
The Milwaukee gasket link won't load for me. But the second link it's a PF1C, no slots. Will it work?  :nix:
I did come across this Drag part # 1022-0212 S&S part:  https://www.dragspecialties.com/products/?productId=503766&partNumber=10220212

A pic below of my original from when I sold it on Ebay 10 years ago.
[attach=0]

Don D

Adjustment is critical on those. Wire probe to set the voltage.

Ajayrk

From the picture I could not tell if it was slotted or not.  The Drag one looks like the m/m TPS.

When I find the setting instructions I will post it.
AJ

Ajayrk

First, back out the warm and cold idle screws so they're not affecting anything. Then disconnect the ISC actuator.
Backprobe (with a pin or anything small like that) the right-most wire Gray/Violet on the TPS connector. Connect the positive lead of your multi-meter to that pin; ground the negative lead. With the ignition on and the engine cold, rotate the TPS until you get a voltage reading of .275. Tighten the screws being careful not to change the reading.
Next, turn the cold idle screw in until you get a reading of .60 to .64 volts.
Next, turn the warm idle screw in enough so the bike will idle. Warm the engine, and adjust warm idle to taste (about 1000 rpm's).
AJ

djl

Thanks for all the help.  My buddy has received an email from Milwaukee Gaskets advising that they are out of stock because of "high demand" :unsure: and that the part will be available in two weeks.  I also  passed on the Drag link and the instructions Ajayrk posted.  The guy has always ridden metrics and this bone stock early touring model is his first Harley and he is hooked.  He has considered the carb conversion which I have encouraged.  He only got to ride the bike for about a month before the sensor went tits up and the bike has been down for two weeks; he is desperate to get back on it; fun to watch.

Thanks again. :up:

Ratfade

A little late and an to a question that wasn't asked, but here's another vote for carb conversion. Oh, how I remember screwing with that TPS on my 2000 FLHTC. Mercifully, it totaled itself.

Don D

Standard Motor Parts, MC1414

PC_Hater

If all else fails I still have all the bits for MM EFI after I went to carb.
I'm 3,000 miles away in the UK, but if he insists on sticking with EFI...
I never had much bother with the TPS, every 6 months or so I would do that reset procedure thing to keep tickover under control.
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S