April 25, 2024, 10:23:21 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Canbus Specific Battery Charger

Started by Nastytls, January 29, 2020, 05:12:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nastytls

I just saw a Canbus specific trickle charger from Optimate, I wasn't aware that such a thing existed. Anyone know what the difference is? Is it entirely necessary? What can happen if you use a regular trickle charger?

I use an HD branded charger for my RG because it came with it,  and I use a regular trickle on my Canbus BMW R9T. Neither one has any designation of Canbus compatibility.

smoserx1

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Dealerships use "Batterytender" Brand around the world.
Tom

Karl H.

HD-LAN doesn't communicate with the charger via Canbus. No need to use a Canbus specific charger!

Karl
Dyna Wide Glide '03, Softail Deluxe '13, Street Glide '14, Sportster 883R '15

PoorUB

Like the link states, it is a BMW  thing, IF you are charging through a Powerlet port only. The BMW Powerlet port shuts off after a few seconds and goes dead. The Canbus equipped charged tells the ECM  to keep the Powerlet port active.

If you connect your charging cable right to the battery it is not needed on any brand.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

rageglide

As PoorUB said, BMW and maybe others, charging thru the oem power ports is a problem.  Best to use a pigtail off the battery and no worries.

Nastytls

Sounds good. I charge both through a pigtail, so I guess, no worries for me.