April 24, 2024, 03:37:20 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Tell me about my new to me 2013 Dyna Switchback

Started by twincamzz, February 02, 2020, 05:00:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twincamzz

I just bought a 2013 Dyna Switchback with the 103 & 6 speed. It will be delivered in the next 2-3 weeks so I am trying to learn all I can about my "new to me" motorcycle while I wait for it to arrive. I have owned several twincams in the past, but nothing newer than 2005.
I understand the 2013 has quite a few differences from the early ones, hydraulic cam chain tensioners being one. I read alot on here about compensator problems but not sure which years are trouble. Hoping y'all  could educate me some about my new motorcycle.  Any other items I need to be aware of please let me know... I'm all ears. I have factory service manual on the way & will have motor oil / filter , transmission & primary fluid & air filter waiting when the motorcycle arrives.
Appreciate any information y'all have to offer ! Thanks in advance.
not all who wander are lost...

smoserx1

That is a nice looking bike...a Dyna that looks like a Road King.  Yes it will have Hydraulic tensioners and I hope no compensator problems (seems like I read they were mostly ironed out by then) but I am not sure.  Anyway, congrats!

dirty jim

twincamzz

Quote from: dirty jim on February 02, 2020, 06:54:37 AM
Get a parts book too...knowledge is power.

I go to Ronnie's HD & look 'em all up there for free !

Hossamania

I hate to say it, but you may find the bags too small, if you use them quite a bit.
As far as compensator, I believe the stock one you have is part of the problem years. Unless it has been changed, at some point you may have to change to the latest version. Keep an ear on it.
They are nice looking, nice riding bikes.
How many miles on it?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

twincamzz

Quote from: Hossamania on February 02, 2020, 07:03:48 AM
I hate to say it, but you may find the bags too small, if you use them quite a bit.
As far as compensator, I believe the stock one you have is part of the problem years. Unless it has been changed, at some point you may have to change to the latest version. Keep an ear on it.
They are nice looking, nice riding bikes.
How many miles on it?

I agree about the saddlebags Hoss, but nowadays the wife & I don't  tour the USA like we used to, so I think they will do fine for me. I was really hoping that by 2013 the compensator issues were taken care of... main reason I mentioned it. Motorcycle only has 9167 miles on it. Not bad for a 7 year old machine. I put over 15000 miles  on my Sportster in the 18 months I have owned it ... Hahaha !

Rusticwater

February 02, 2020, 07:55:55 AM #6 Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 10:07:53 AM by Rusticwater
The 2012 model year Dyna line (and all Big Twins actually) changed to the SE comp as stock, but it is not the setup that involved the primary cover oil deflector that came in the 2014 model year.

Your bike's fuel injection system controlled by the ECM is designed for closed loop operation, with heated oxygen sensors in the exhaust.

Another big change that took place in the 2012 model year for the Dyna line was a change to HD-LAN (Canbus) wiring, so the entire electrical system of your bike will be much different. No fuse box, much less wiring, everything controlled by a BCM.

One of the biggest issues the Switchbacks had dealt with vibration from the stock exhaust, which was unique to the Switchback model. There is a service bulletin (M-1384 {edit} M-1324 available in the library here) that deals with Dyna vibration but what most Switchback owners did was something involving adding washers and a clevis. Google "Switchback clevis pin mod" or similar.
Support the Maine lobster industry

twincamzz

Thank you Rusticwater ! Just the sort of information I am looking for. Appreciate it much sir.

twincamzz

Quote from: Rusticwater on February 02, 2020, 07:55:55 AM
The 2012 model year Dyna line (and all Big Twins actually) changed to the SE comp as stock, but it is not the setup that involved the primary cover oil deflector that came in the 2014 model year.

Your bike's fuel injection system controlled by the ECM is designed for closed loop operation, with heated oxygen sensors in the exhaust.

Another big change that took place in the 2012 model year for the Dyna line was a change to HD-LAN (Canbus) wiring, so the entire electrical system of your bike will be much different. No fuse box, much less wiring, everything controlled by a BCM.

One of the biggest issues the Switchbacks had dealt with vibration from the stock exhaust, which was unique to the Switchback model. There is a service bulletin (M-1384, available in the library here) that deals with Dyna vibration but what most Switchback owners did was something involving adding washers and a clevis. Google "Switchback clevis pin mod" or similar.

I went to check out the service bulletin you mentioned & M-1384 is for 2015 HD Street fuel tank recall. M-1324 is the one I needed. Probably just a fat finger moment...happens to us all !  :SM:  Thanks again for the information  !

Rusticwater

Quote from: twincamzz on February 02, 2020, 08:39:52 AM
I went to check out the service bulletin you mentioned & M-1384 is for 2015 HD Street fuel tank recall. M-1324 is the one I needed. Probably just a fat finger moment...happens to us all !  :SM:  Thanks again for the information  !

Sorry, guess I gotta get new glasses!  :smiled:
Support the Maine lobster industry

1workinman

Quote from: twincamzz on February 02, 2020, 05:00:46 AM
I just bought a 2013 Dyna Switchback with the 103 & 6 speed. It will be delivered in the next 2-3 weeks so I am trying to learn all I can about my "new to me" motorcycle while I wait for it to arrive. I have owned several twincams in the past, but nothing newer than 2005.
I understand the 2013 has quite a few differences from the early ones, hydraulic cam chain tensioners being one. I read alot on here about compensator problems but not sure which years are trouble. Hoping y'all  could educate me some about my new motorcycle.  Any other items I need to be aware of please let me know... I'm all ears. I have factory service manual on the way & will have motor oil / filter , transmission & primary fluid & air filter waiting when the motorcycle arrives.
Not sure what condition your bike is in probably good as it is low miles but I caution you that just because a dealer checked it out does not mean a lot or it does not to me as I got bit once believing that crap never again lol . if it was mine and I missed a deal like that and it was sold when I went back to get another look lol , I would put it on the lift and give it a good looking over checking bolts exhaust hangers cables ect . Pull off the primary cover and give every thing a good inspection . Does not cost much to do these things . Like how does the spokes look on the compensator , how tight is the chain ect . Probably a great bike but a good going over is worth some thing

john1ellis

Be careful with the saddle bags! They don't always latch closed properly. Also, be sure they are securely mounted to the bike. I had one fall off. I was riding down a very rough rode and I saw something black go flying by in my mirror. At first I thought it was a crow or something but then I heard a swishing sound and realized it was my saddlebag. It ended up in a deep, water filled ditch. It's a good thing I saw and heard it because it was midway through my 20 mile commute and I would have never found it afterwards. Fortunately it slid on the back side of the bag and there was little noticeable damage. As others have noted, the bags are a bit small. I have a 2018 Heritage Classic now and the bags are much larger and more secure, both in mounting and closing.

twincamzz

February 03, 2020, 02:33:32 PM #12 Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 02:41:17 PM by twincamzz
Quote from: john1ellis on February 03, 2020, 01:53:30 PM
Be careful with the saddle bags! They don't always latch closed properly. Also, be sure they are securely mounted to the bike. I had one fall off. I was riding down a very rough rode and I saw something black go flying by in my mirror. At first I thought it was a crow or something but then I heard a swishing sound and realized it was my saddlebag. It ended up in a deep, water filled ditch. It's a good thing I saw and heard it because it was midway through my 20 mile commute and I would have never found it afterwards. Fortunately it slid on the back side of the bag and there was little noticeable damage. As others have noted, the bags are a bit small. I have a 2018 Heritage Classic now and the bags are much larger and more secure, both in mounting and closing.

Thanks for the advice about the saddlebags coming loose. I had read this can be a problem. I have no experience with how these detach, always had conventional dresser bags. I have never actually seen "how" these detach. Will definitely keep my eye on them though.

twincamzz

Quote from: 1workinman on February 02, 2020, 03:29:36 PM
Quote from: twincamzz on February 02, 2020, 05:00:46 AM
Not sure what condition your bike is in probably good as it is low miles but I caution you that just because a dealer checked it out does not mean a lot or it does not to me as I got bit once believing that crap never again lol . if it was mine and I missed a deal like that and it was sold when I went back to get another look lol , I would put it on the lift and give it a good looking over checking bolts exhaust hangers cables ect . Pull off the primary cover and give every thing a good inspection . Does not cost much to do these things . Like how does the spokes look on the compensator , how tight is the chain ect . Probably a great bike but a good going over is worth some thing

Good advice for sure. I have never purchased a motorcycle online before. Always been able to "kick the tires" before making a decision.  I fully intend to inspect the machine from top to bottom when it gets here.  If by chance I see something that does not meet my approval  I have 3 days / 150 miles to say NO to the deal & get a full refund.

biggzed

Good luck on the bike. I hope it is everything you want it to be. Following up on the bags topic. If you find they are just to small for your needs check out Leather Pros Retro bags for Dyna. They have a lot more capacity then the stock bag, but look right at home on the Switchback. Nice product at a reasonable price IMO.

Zach

1workinman

Quote from: twincamzz on February 03, 2020, 02:33:32 PM

Thanks for the advice about the saddlebags coming loose. I had read this can be a problem. I have no experience with how these detach, always had conventional dresser bags. I have never actually seen "how" these detach. Will definitely keep my eye on them though.
On both of my money pits a 12 Street Glide which has the newer bags and I installed the better fasteners, the later models , and the 13 Road Glide I just installed the later fasteners also . I don't think there as big a problem coming loose hope lol . I was told to use a small bungee cord to connect the older style fasteners to keep them from loosening 

twincamzz

Quote from: 1workinman on February 03, 2020, 04:39:06 PM
Quote from: twincamzz on February 03, 2020, 02:33:32 PM

On both of my money pits a 12 Street Glide which has the newer bags and I installed the better fasteners, the later models , and the 13 Road Glide I just installed the later fasteners also . I don't think there as big a problem coming loose hope lol . I was told to use a small bungee cord to connect the older style fasteners to keep them from loosening

I had a 2017 Limited which had the new style fasteners compared to the old style with the twist lock spring clip & agree hands down the new style is better.
  But don't  think that is the issue with the switchback.  The way I understand it is that when saddlebags are removed all that is left  on the fender are the "docking points" . When reattaching saddlebags I have been told you have to be careful about getting  them correctly seated on docking points. I do see inside bags there appears to be a twist knob of some sort, I assume to be part of securing the saddlebags.  I don't really know if that fastener is old style or new.
Like I said earlier,  I have never owned a Switchback...I've seen  a few around, but never actually laid my hands on one. I know y'all  are good people  here at HTT so I always appreciate the advice & information .

Propflux01

WE have one in our stall, a 2015. Fun bike to ride, lightweight, bags are small, but they still hold quite a bit. It does have a fusebox, but only 3 fuses, a 40A main, and two 15A. I think you will be happy with it.
A Shovel And A 55-Gallon Drum Can Solve Alot Of Life's Little "Issues"...

Bike31

If you experience vibration due to the stock muffler the SE replacement can help (https://www.harley-davidson.com/store/nightstick-2-into-1-slip-on-muffler#). Another is letting the stock can "float" a bit in its mounts via various changes that are searchable online. I had one and enjoyed it.
2017 Sportster 1200 C #79 since 1960

twincamzz

Thanks to every one of y'all  for sharing your experiences with the Switchback.  I bought my motorcycle on February 1, so I have had lots of time to plan what I want to do first, what parts fit, etc. I finally got a delivery date of February  24...only 6 more agonizing days to wait !
Meanwhile the suspense is killing me.  :SM:
So far I have acquired a Harley Davidson service manual along with air filter, oil, transmission, primary & brake fluid so that when Sybil finally arrives I can do a proper service & inspection. Already got a set of tires ready to install. I'm starting to get a nice little pile of stuff that I've  bought over the last couple of weeks.
  I also have a few parts that are " take - offs" from some of my past motorcycles.

Last but not least, I have a set of genuine Harley Davidson 1958 Fuel Tank  emblems as that is the year I was born. Can't  forget the Duo-Glide emblems for the front fender. The front fender tip & side spears will be here next week, along with a set of the oil tank decals I always called "lightning bolt H's". All this in tribute to my old Panhead Norma Jean.
I will post more pictures as I get some of this stuff installed.