April 19, 2024, 03:41:31 PM

News:

124" with T-Man cylinders

Started by FL103Dave, February 02, 2020, 10:08:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FL103Dave

Does anyone have experience with the 124" using T-Man bored out SE cylinders?  Evidently they modify the spigots so they are not as fragile but I'm a bit gun shy - I had a 124 with the bored out SE cylinders (4.060" to 4.125").  It ran great until the front spigot cracked.

Currently running a 120" that is starting to get noisy and I'll probably be pulling it down soon.  Looking for options on what the next build might be.  Right now it's a 120 (4 5/8" X 4.070") SE 257 cams, HDSP 110" heads and Fat Cat exhaust.

Thanks...

Don D

February 02, 2020, 04:27:44 PM #1 Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 04:33:04 PM by HD Street Performance
All that needs to happen is the spigot radiused at the root.
I am not a fan.
I am now using S&S cylinders that I bore and hone. Much better life and generous spigots, not too thin.
Going to 124 using KB 117" forged pistons has been a very good solution too. Using a longer cylinder. Pistons need a little added relief at the base but that is easy to do. The LCA KB pistons are very nice and last plus run quiet with the Line2Line coating.

FL103Dave

Thanks Don,

Do you think these SE cylinders are stable at the 4.060" X 4 5/8" (120 R) configuration? 

How about the 117" 4.125" (SE) x 4 3/8"?

What is the OD of the S&S spigots compared to the SE pieces? 

TIA!

Hillside Motorcycle

We've used those pistons from T-Man to build 124"s from 120"s.
TR shared the spigot machining with us.
No known issues with the ones we have built.
Last one went 146 hp, 144 ft/lbs using his 662 cam, our CVO Stage II Heads, FM exhaust he had, 64mm HD t/body the client had already in place.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

prodrag1320

Don D

Dave 4.330 nominal, takes a case bore. But the generous spigots are very stable.

jmorton10

HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

FL103Dave

My latest thought is going with a 117".  I haven't had great luck or durability with the longer stroke.  I started at 124" and broke a spigot then two different 120" builds that seem to develop piston noise early on.  I have the 4 3/8" flywheels for the 117.  The 113" I had for years was bullet proof and lasted 50K miles before I took it apart.  Any suggestions on the 117?  Am I still better with the S&S cylinders or would the T-Man mod work with shorter stroke/longer skirts?

Ohio HD

117" or 124", use S&S cylinders, order them unfinished without pistons. Use CP or Diamond pistons, have a competent Harley Davidson machinist (not meaning at the dealer) that has experience with getting them straight and round as possible.

Both my 117" and 124" are no noisier than a stock motor. The 124" may be a little quieter.

FL103Dave

This makes sense.  I will probably go with the S&S, it just means case boring but, oh well!

The last few sets of pistons/cylinders were setup by Randy at Hyperformance. 

Ohio HD

Randy can do it for sure, that man has lots of experience.   :up:

He's my source for CP pistons.

A few dollars more, better pistons, and the proper machining, and it makes a difference.

Hillside Motorcycle

Dedicated spigot length dimension if using the S/E cylinder.
Not a big thrust load at BDC.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

FL103Dave

What do you mean by dedicated spigot length?

I agree there is not much thrust at BDC, but is there maybe something with  the piston rocking as the rod changed sides?  Especially with the short skits associated with the 4 5/8" wheels?

Hillside Motorcycle

T-Man has found a dedicated spigot length dimension that they use.