April 18, 2024, 05:48:47 PM

News:

Belt drive?

Started by Lone Ranger, February 04, 2020, 01:36:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lone Ranger

I don't know much about Shovel Head bikes other than they're way cool. Did they have any factory belt drive or are they all chain?

PC_Hater

Google FXB Sturgis, a shovelhead with primary belt and rear belt.
Somebody out there will do some sort of kit to fit a rear belt to any shovelhead.
The primary belt proved to be either troublesome or too expensive so that started and ended with the FXB.

1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

fbn ent

'83/84 FLHs have a final belt.
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

JW113

Take a look up top in the stickys, under History-Highlights at a glance. Should answer your question.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Lone Ranger

Thanks for all your replies.

yarddogg77

Not sure if you are looking for OEM, but I found a 1 1/2" BDL primary belt drive with a lock up dry clutch for my Shovel on E-Bay, that was a few years ago, I spent around $700.
My shop has a grass floor and really high ceiling... Yard - Dogg

bump

I have been running a 1 1/2" belt in primary with dry clutch for 35 years. Replaced the belt about 3 times. I don't run any oil in primary cover. Belt is a gates HTD 30853 x 1 1/2.  Belt is 132 tooth, 9mm.

kink04fxd

Quote from: fbn ent on February 04, 2020, 02:44:22 PM
'83/84 FLHs have a final belt.

My 82 FLH is a final belt from the factory.
2000 FLHTCI (now carb)<br />1982 FLH

Winston Wolf

FXDG Twin Belt Wide Glide!!

Racepres

Quote from: Lone Ranger on February 04, 2020, 01:36:42 PM
I don't know much about Shovel Head bikes other than they're way cool. Did they have any factory belt drive or are they all chain?

A select Few came with 2 Belts [Sturgis] ...
lots of them from 1982 on with Final Belt!!!
Seems Odd but the old FLH got it first... even when the FXR/FLT/FLHT was stuck on Chain!!!!

david lee

Quote from: bump on February 12, 2020, 10:16:08 AM
I have been running a 1 1/2" belt in primary with dry clutch for 35 years. Replaced the belt about 3 times. I don't run any oil in primary cover. Belt is a gates HTD 30853 x 1 1/2.  Belt is 132 tooth, 9mm.
does your clutch rattle when engaged ? thanks

bump

The clutch rattles a little when setting at stop light with clutch pulled in but you have to be trying to hear it rattle. Usually if clutch rattles loud it is not adjusted right, will also be hard to pull lever in.

Racepres

Quote from: bump on March 01, 2020, 03:18:44 AM
The clutch rattles a little when setting at stop light with clutch pulled in but you have to be trying to hear it rattle. Usually if clutch rattles loud it is not adjusted right, will also be hard to pull lever in.

If the "rattle" gets too intense... Ensure you have a RammJett retainer... I always use one with a primary Belt!!!

Burnout

The rattle is caused by the clutch not being loaded and at low RPMs the crank speeds up and slows down with every firing pulse and is normal.
Factory steels had spring loaded cushions to limit the rattle but they don't hold up well.

I always use long rollers and a RamJet retainer to help control the basket and limit clutch drag.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

david lee

i have the retainer which came with the long roller bearings and  primo belt set up.plates are good.the rattle tells me the plates are separating when engaged.also the derby cover has holes drilled in it like a drilled brake disc for venting so maybe thats why i can hear the rattle.thanks

Racepres

Just gonna Note... I hate the long Rollers...and will Not be doing that again... the Ramm Jett??? I love it!!!

david lee

Quote from: Racepres on March 01, 2020, 05:06:03 PM
Just gonna Note... I hate the long Rollers...and will Not be doing that again... the Ramm Jett??? I love it!!!
why is that. just interested

crock

Quote from: david lee on March 02, 2020, 02:47:49 AM

I believe the long rollers can  to cock sideways a little causing the basket to crawl and result in all kinds of crazy things
Crock

Racepres

Quote from: crock on March 02, 2020, 04:49:10 AM
Quote from: david lee on March 02, 2020, 02:47:49 AM

I believe the long rollers can  to cock sideways a little causing the basket to crawl and result in all kinds of crazy things

Maybe what was happening... IDK...Could Not get the Clutch Right......  Didn't take me long to "Potty mouth" can the long rollers and go back to Stock!!!

Burnout

Racepres

Burnout

I'm thinking small rollers might not be picky about lube and dirt?

76shuvlinoff

QuoteCould Not get the Clutch Right......  Didn't take me long to "Potty mouth" can the long rollers and go back to Stock!!!

I think the long rollers work better for a well worn in application. I put them in a new basket and it was too tight even with leaving some out.  Too much drag for me.

I eventually installed a Rivera clutch and never looked back.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

david lee

Quote from: 76shuvlinoff on March 03, 2020, 12:52:48 AM
QuoteCould Not get the Clutch Right......  Didn't take me long to "Potty mouth" can the long rollers and go back to Stock!!!

I think the long rollers work better for a well worn in application. I put them in a new basket and it was too tight even with leaving some out.  Too much drag for me.

I eventually installed a Rivera clutch and never looked back.
when i installed mine yrs ago i had to ream out the clutch hub as it was to tight to spin

76shuvlinoff

Quotewhen i installed mine yrs ago i had to ream out the clutch hub as it was to tight to spin

I started down that path then I realized the long rollers were to take up slop and I was installing slop for the long rollers. I am not sure now if I gave them away or if they're still in a bag in the basement.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway