Does it REALLY matter which direction rear axle is installed on 2013 Dyna ?

Started by twincamzz, February 06, 2020, 05:05:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twincamzz

6 agonizing days ago I purchased a 2013 Dyna Switchback  that will not be delivered for another week, maybe more. In the meantime I have ordered the HD Service manual along with all filters & fluids so I can perform maintenance & inspect everything well. Been reading all I can about my "new to me " motorcycle.  Like a kid waitin'  on Christmas !!   :SM:
Service manual came today & reading the instructions for rear wheel removal it says to remove shocks & lower swingarm because axle needs to come out that side & without doing so there is not enough  clearance from the muffler. Okay, I get that.
So, the question is this... any problem with installing axle from the other direction so I don't  have to lower swingarm next time ? I honestly can't  see it being a problem as long as it is properly torqued to spec & the lock clip is in place.
What do y'all  think ?

* I plan on removing stock muffler the first time anyways because I am installing a Vance & Hines muffler while I'm  at it, just wonder about installing axle from other direction.
not all who wander are lost...

Coyote

A question that has been asked over the ages. The technical reason for how it is stock is that the axial nut won't spin off if the axial slips. If you change the axial direction, it might. But almost everyone swaps it with no issues. When I had my Softail, I did as well. There was an E Clip to safeguard the nut as well so I didn't see it as a problem.

Personally, I'd turn the axial around for the same reasons you want to.

twincamzz

Quote from: Coyote on February 06, 2020, 05:11:42 PM
A question that has been asked over the ages. The technical reason for how it is stock is that the axial nut won't spin off if the axial slips. If you change the axial direction, it might. But almost everyone swaps it with no issues. When I had my Softail, I did as well. There was an E Clip to safeguard the nut as well so I didn't see it as a problem.

Personally, I'd turn the axial around for the same reasons you want to.

Thank you sir !  :up:
not all who wander are lost...

chopper

Got a case of dynamite, I could hold out here all night

kd

If you run a sidecar you'd be switching it also.   You still have to check that the live end (with the nut and threads on it) doesn't stick out so far it hits your exhaust on bad bumps.
KD

rigidthumper

I had an axle back out in the mountains of west VA, 33 years ago,and the only thing that kept it in place ( and the wheel on the bike) was the muffler. Ever since then, I've always put em in the way the book says...
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

rageglide

Yep every bike Harley ships has the nut on the left so you can't remove the axle without removing the pipe (most bikes).   Flip the axle at every tire change.  Newer bikes usually have a C-clip on the axle, older bikes were mix of lockwasher or castle nut.  Never once had one loosen up...

Coyote

Quote from: rigidthumper on February 06, 2020, 07:08:28 PM
I had an axle back out in the mountains of west VA, 33 years ago,and the only thing that kept it in place ( and the wheel on the bike) was the muffler. Ever since then, I've always put em in the way the book says...

First I've heard of an issue. Have to respect your experience tho.   :up:

Scotty

Quote from: rigidthumper on February 06, 2020, 07:08:28 PM

I do remember someone else having that happen on a shovel and it was found to be caused by over tightening the axle bolt and the bearings being damaged from memory.
If you had the axle in the right way it would get hot and smoke but if you had axle in the wrong way the nut would spin off and axle would come out.

chaos901

OK.....so in that case the axle was actually spinning (some) with the wheel and just unscrewed the nut.  That could end ugly.
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

rbabos

Boils down to engineering. Seized bearing is the only thing that can grab the axle enough to loosen the nut if placed from left to right. By then unless you are brain dead, you will have a loose belt and alignment issues that would be noticeable, not to mention the noise from a seized bearing. How much more warning does one need before investigating? One engineering example solution for worst case. Some others might use this method also.  Due to the mufflers on the v rod on the right side, axle removal isn't possible unless on of the cans are removed. Needless pain in the ass extra task.  Instead, they run the nut on the right side but have a snap ring groove to prevent the nut from backing off too far. Also , I doubt very much with the cams on the axle, it would rotate enough to back the nut off.
Ron

hogpipes1

Been doing the axle flip sense 70'd with sporty and super glides, or any other bike and knowing the reason why, and the F-UP if not done right. Good greased bearing are a must,along with nut torqued right  and the c -clip or cotter pin .

Scotty

Quote from: rbabos on February 07, 2020, 07:48:51 AM
Boils down to engineering. Seized bearing is the only thing that can grab the axle enough to loosen the nut if placed from left to right. By then unless you are brain dead, you will have a loose belt and alignment issues that would be noticeable, not to mention the noise from a seized bearing. How much more warning does one need before investigating?

I don't think it is a common occurrence as I only saw it once and I wasn't on actual ride but saw the aftermath.
New wheel, bearings and axle were all required to get it back on the road.
But you are right there would have been something noticeable prior to it happening but well you know some people just keep going  :hyst:

rbabos

Quote from: Scotty on February 07, 2020, 01:00:05 PM
Quote from: rbabos on February 07, 2020, 07:48:51 AM
Boils down to engineering. Seized bearing is the only thing that can grab the axle enough to loosen the nut if placed from left to right. By then unless you are brain dead, you will have a loose belt and alignment issues that would be noticeable, not to mention the noise from a seized bearing. How much more warning does one need before investigating?

I don't think it is a common occurrence as I only saw it once and I wasn't on actual ride but saw the aftermath.
New wheel, bearings and axle were all required to get it back on the road.
But you are right there would have been something noticeable prior to it happening but well you know some people just keep going  :hyst:
That's true. Radios on bikes are dangerous. :potstir:
Ron