March 28, 2024, 10:34:01 AM

News:

Reversed polarity

Started by Bsmith153, February 07, 2020, 02:48:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bsmith153

My Buddy has a 2005 Iron Horse LMC.  He hooked the battery up backwards, and tried to start it, which it didnt. Hd tells me it wont start with the new battery, i saw what he did and hooked everything up the right way. The bike started right up, idles fine, but after a few miles it starts breaking up on acceleration, but still idles fine.  I ve checked a few things but figured Id see if anyone dealt with this issue before. 
I dont race because I think im the fastest
I race because its Fun!

HogMike

Check the voltage with engine off should be 12+volts at battery.
Start bike and check again, should be about 14+ volts
May have a bad regulator and / or stator.
:nix:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

Coyote

Seen this on an HD before. Most items are pretty well protected but doing this will destroy the regulator so plan on changing that first thing.

calif phil

Could it be a plugged jet in the carb?   Has it been sitting?  AIH had lots of issues with the igniter going bad.

Bsmith153

I dont believe its the carb because it ran fine before the battery incident.  I was afraid the stator would be a suggestion.  The bike has one Breaker between the battery and either the ignition or the  RHC controller, i cant remember right now,   anyvchance  it weakened this breaker?     
I race because its Fun!

Coyote

It won't have damaged the stator and I doubt the breaker.

Bsmith153

Just wishful thinking on my part. Lol.  I almost had him getting rid of this damn thing until 2 people at wawa said " cool chopper man" .   Now he thinks hes cool riding it.  I always felt choppers were Artistic  not functional.   just my opinion I know,  but Ill keep my comfy bagger with the radio and the 124". Lol
I race because its Fun!

smoserx1

I wonder if it could have damaged the ignition module?

Bsmith153

Figured I would give an update on this topic. Choppers back on the road, about 50miles on it with no issues. Found some wires slightly burnt in coil harness, replaced those. The breaker was replaced but only due to the fact that it was a 50amp andthe specs called for  a 30 amp.  That seemed like abad situation to me. Everything else was left alone, so in this case it seems it didnt damage any major components. 
I race because its Fun!

Helmwurst

Quote from: HOGMIKE on February 07, 2020, 05:10:12 PM
Check the voltage with engine off should be 12+volts at battery.
Start bike and check again, should be about 14+ volts
May have a bad regulator and / or stator.
:nix:
Do this first. Easy to do and is most likely the issue. Charging systems do not like reverse polarity !