Is it safe to clean IAC with MAss Air Flow Sensor Cleaner?

Started by Terrymcq, February 08, 2020, 09:32:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terrymcq

I don't want to do more damage than good but I think a problem I have with engine stalling whenever I slow down and down shift is possibly linked to a gummed up IAC and if safe a cheap fix is to spray the gunk out. I'm no expert which is why I'm asking for help. I used to clean automotive carbs all the time with ether/carb cleaners but I'm new to working on my bike (only been riding a couple years). I am concerned if spray cleaners could damage small IAC or push gunk past seals inside which it you don't want contaminants getting past.

Thanks for any help.

Ohio HD

rigidthumper

I open the butterfly, and stuff a red rag into the intake, to catch the excess. I use Q-tips and CRC products to clean the IAC pintle and opening. When done, remove the red rag and and any residue, and slow cycle the key switch a couple times (with the run/stop switch in the run position) to reset IAC Zero.

The other thing that can cause an issue with stalling on slowdown/stopping is the Vehicle Speed Sensor. Might pull it and see if it's contaminated.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Terrymcq

Rigid, thanks, i am replacing the speed sensor and i will clean the IAC. I also had a code come up after i got my bike to limp home for the crank position sensor and am changing that too.

Scooterfish

Good video  :up: The 2:00-2:20 minute mark is very important. NEVER use carb or brake cleaner .
Northern Indiana