May 05, 2024, 01:49:58 PM

News:

2000 FLHT front tire

Started by Barefoot, February 06, 2020, 10:34:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barefoot

Ran continental milestones for 20 yrs and now cant find them...guess a 20 yr old bike is not popular anymore
Would appreciate suggestion(s) for a front tire...at 73 I am a more mellow rider today...
thanks for your help :scoot:

Hossamania

Dunlop American Elites are a very popular choice, decent price, good wear and grip. I run them on my '01 FLHR.
20 year old bikes are plenty popular, there are many tire choices out there. How old are your tires? The Milestones have probably been replaced by another Michelin model, perhaps the Continental Tour ll.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

92flhtcu

That Milestone is now called the Conti-Legend
They did up their game and came out with the Conti-Tour that is a decent tire
Need a bigger garage

fleetmechanic

On our older bikes with the 16" front wheels we run both the Dunlop D402 that was the OEM tire as well as some American Elites.  Both work fine.   AEs are usually a little cheaper.

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Quote from: fleetmechanic on February 06, 2020, 04:24:57 PM
On our older bikes with the 16" front wheels we run both the Dunlop D402 that was the OEM tire as well as some American Elites.  Both work fine.   AEs are usually a little cheaper.

I too am an OE for Tires.

I have one customer who is a total Geek that literally bought just about every tire on the planet until he hit 100,000 miles on his 17 FLT (Which he did in two years! Greg RIDES!).

In the end he looked at everything and said when comparing price to longevity, fuel mileage, handling, they're all about the same. One thing he did point out is the majority are NOT made in the U.S.. I forget which brands but I think only two were Made in the USA -

Like I said, he's an Engineer. Way more than I would EVER do to find something out. He bored the crap out of me for 20 minutes. I just drink coffee, Smoke Cigarettes, and stare into space. But he is a very dependable and loyal customer for 10 years! And the nicest Guy you'll ever meet.

Tom

smoserx1

February 08, 2020, 04:38:50 AM #5 Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 04:43:37 AM by smoserx1
QuoteI too am an OE for Tires.

Me too.  I used to be like your engineer friend before I got my FLHT.  On the previous bikes I had I would always try different tires and what I found was usually some brand would do something really well but fail in many other areas.  Bridgestone Spitfires were fantastic in the rain but wore out quick.  One Metzeler I had lasted a long time but was so slick in the rain it was almost scary.  A set of Continentals I tried developed dry rot cracks in the sidewalls almost when new.  Almost none of these tires were round...you could spin the wheel and see excursions in the tires.  Some of the tires would instantly go sideways if the rear skidded at all.  Most caused handlebar shimmy after just a few thousand miles.  The D402 is all I have ever had on my FLHT.  I have never had one do anything bad.  Some I have changed myself and ran with no balance weight.  One I bought from a friend was 6 years when I bought it old and did fine...no cracking in the rubber.  I have never had one that appeared the least bit out of round.  I have probably had 20 rear ones and 8 to 10 front ones and never had one iota of trouble with one.  The last front one I had was almost bald before any handlebar shimmy became evident.  Why would I even consider running anything else? (which I won't)

Hossamania

I've never had any problem with OE tires either, ran them for well over 20 years until the last two sets of AE's, which do last longer and don't give up much grip as far as I can tell.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

fbn ent

The D402s have a far superior grip on the rim which could come in handy in a flat/bow out situation. I can't remember if the AEs have the same. I run AVON but have been thinking of trying the AEs because I'm bored....
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta