May 06, 2024, 12:31:33 AM

News:

Adjustable shock leaked... is it okay?

Started by HighCountry, February 07, 2020, 07:59:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HighCountry

I have a take-off shock (part # 54000094) that I'd like to re-use on a different bike... unfortunately it was left in a box and appears to have leaked??? Is there any way to check it to make sure it's okay? If it has leaked, is it rechargeable?
Thanks!
'19 Gray Denim FLHSX, '18 Twisted Cherry FLHR & '03 Silver & Black FLSTCI

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Is it serviceable? Harley says NO.

I say YES. I still service the Air Shocks on Baggers that "can't be serviced". Did two just this week.

HOWEVER, I do not know the amount of fluid or wt required for the Emulsion System. Perhaps a Google search could turn something up. My curiosity is up so I'll look as well.
Tom

PoorUB

The shock he is asking about is not the old HD air shocks, he is asking about the new Premium adjustable shocks.

To the OP, in my opinion, if it is leaking fluid, it is garbage.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Quote from: PoorUB on February 07, 2020, 06:46:40 PM
The shock he is asking about is not the old HD air shocks, he is asking about the new Premium adjustable shocks.

I know. I said  the "Emulsion System"
Tom

PoorUB

Quote from: Pirsch Fire Wagon on February 07, 2020, 06:49:38 PM
Quote from: PoorUB on February 07, 2020, 06:46:40 PM

I know. I said  the "Emulsion System"

so what value is that info to the OP?

HighCountry

Thanks for the replies! I appreciate the help... OK, for a little more clarification, it looks like the little screw behind the adjustment knob loosened and the fluid leaked there. I would think if I could find the right fluid in the right amount, it should be serviceable, right???   :scratch:

kd

I suspect so.  There's folks on here have changed or topped up oil in the air shocks before and I don't see why these shocks would be any different under those circumstances.

Search No Cents threads for a home built tool he made or maybe he will chime in with the pics.
KD

PoorUB

Any idea how much oil it has lost? An ounce or two might make any difference.

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Do they have a manufacturer on them somewhere? I looked the MSDS up and doesn't show anything other than an Oil Hazard in H-D-Net. As soon as I find the manufacturer I'll call them.
Tom

Jim Bronson

Quote from: Pirsch Fire Wagon on February 08, 2020, 09:59:40 AM
Do they have a manufacturer on them somewhere? I looked the MSDS up and doesn't show anything other than an Oil Hazard in H-D-Net. As soon as I find the manufacturer I'll call them.
I purchased mine from the P&A catalog, and they're branded Showa. There is a warning sticker on the rebound shock (right side) about the shock being under high pressure. I don't know if that's true on the left side compression shock. If the left side is under pressure, and the fill port screw is already loose, then much of the nitrogen has already escaped, and adding oil wouldn't do any good unless there is some way to re-pressurize it.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

HighCountry

They are definitely Showa brand and there are a bunch of numbers on the label

B0YMA4 ( I think that's a zero and not the letter O)
54000094/G5K32-00 L

Looking at how these are put together makes me think the pressurized gas filled portion is actually separate from the oil filled adjustable portion. The right side shock just has the factory sealed pressurized chamber.
Unfortunately, I don't know how much leaked since it was soaked up by the box. I would have to drain what's left and subtract it from the amount they are supposed to be filled with... Anyone know???

Jim Bronson

As mentioned above, they're emulsion shocks with the nitrogen mixed with oil in the same tube.

From the P&A catalog:

Experience the ultimate in superior ride quality with these Premium Touring Shocks. These shocks utilize a single tube, nitrogen charged emulsion design.

Maybe there are two versions of them.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

HighCountry

Well, that's why I check with the experts... if it's all one chamber, then it would have lost pressure for sure. And in that case I'm guessing it's shot.

speedzter

From the photo, it looks like it has hydraulically adjustable spring preload.
It may only be the fluid from the preload ram that has leaked.
If so, an easy fix.

HighCountry

Speedzter you may have nailed it.  The main cylinder of both the left and right shocks seem to be factory sealed in the same manner. The left shock just has the additional preload chamber used to adjust for the weight of the rider and passenger/gear... I wouldn't think the manufacturer would risk maintaining a high pressure cylinder with just that tiny screw.