April 19, 2024, 08:51:47 PM

News:

Ring compressor tool

Started by Adam76, January 27, 2023, 10:03:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam76

Apologies for uploading photos against the HTT rules.

Just looking for advice on a good ring compressor tool for my 4.125" CP pistons.

I've used different types in the past for my Evo and TC builds, but never liked them.

Fixed, tapered, adjustable?
Cheers

JSD

Snap on in OZ . Excellent tool. Has 6 sizes IMM serves 

JSD

I payed about $ 250 Adam has ratchet and clamps. I have other brands but this is the best i found in OZ

rigidthumper

I've used one of these for decades.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

calif phil

Ohio HD

Make that three, I have the KD Tools version. I bought this in the early 80's.

KD Tools number 850.

kd

I also have the KD version but often use my fingers and a popsicle stick.  I keep some in my tool box drawer.  I like to know the ring gap placement exactly and can watch the ring clearing the rim of the cylinder.  Especially the oil ring set.  I don't mind taking the time to do that.
KD

bump

Have one for car rings and it is easier to use the widest worm gear clamp the parts had and big enough to to fit piston ring and use popsicle sticks.

Adam76

Thanks guys, I got myself a copy of the Snap On tool and I think it will work nicely.

I don't trust myself using the popsicle stick method  :teeth:

hrdtail78

I have a set from Rowe (snap on style) and KD.  The KD box is on top of the Rowe box in my drawer so I guess I use them more.  Would be only reason because they work the same.

BUT three cheers to the cylinder guys that take the time and put a nice chamfer on the spigot.  Makes all the difference. 
Semper Fi

rigidthumper

Use lots of lube. It's a lot easier to wipe excess lube than to replace broken rings.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

jmorton10

HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

kd

January 29, 2023, 08:26:17 AM #12 Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 08:32:38 AM by kd
Quote from: rigidthumper on January 29, 2023, 07:09:47 AMUse lots of lube. It's a lot easier to wipe excess lube than to replace broken rings.

:agree: .... or distorted oil ring scrapers.  Of course there are several choices of lube that is manufactured specifically for assembly.  I find an easy light lube to be 2 stroke oil as it has built in properties that will aid the pistons and rings at first start-up.
KD

Ohio HD

Quote from: hrdtail78 on January 29, 2023, 06:44:29 AMBUT three cheers to the cylinder guys that take the time and put a nice chamfer on the spigot.  Makes all the difference. 

100%    :up:     They almost fall in with a good bevel on the bottom.

Adam76

Quote from: hrdtail78 on January 29, 2023, 06:44:29 AMI have a set from Rowe (snap on style) and KD.  The KD box is on top of the Rowe box in my drawer so I guess I use them more.  Would be only reason because they work the same.

BUT three cheers to the cylinder guys that take the time and put a nice chamfer on the spigot.  Makes all the difference. 
Quote from: rigidthumper on January 29, 2023, 07:09:47 AMUse lots of lube. It's a lot easier to wipe excess lube than to replace broken rings.
Quote from: Ohio HD on January 29, 2023, 08:28:38 AM
Quote from: hrdtail78 on January 29, 2023, 06:44:29 AMBUT three cheers to the cylinder guys that take the time and put a nice chamfer on the spigot.  Makes all the difference. 

100%    :up:     They almost fall in with a good bevel on the bottom.

Thanks guys, that's awesome info.

What do I ask the machine shop to do to get the bevel you are taking about?

And what's the best lube? Engine oil or assembly lube?

Thanks

Ohio HD

Either will work for assembly. I prefer assembly lube.

Just ask the guy to make a 45° bevel at the bottom of the bore. How he does it is up to him and what equipment he has.

You cannot see attachments on this board.

Adam76

Thanks for the tip on the 45* bevel.... That will definitely make things easier. I wish I knew this the first few times I did top end rebuilds.  :doh:

Ohio HD

hrdtail78 brought it up, I just agreed with him. It helps a lot.