May 06, 2024, 03:18:24 AM

News:

Rear axle moves

Started by 60wt, February 23, 2020, 10:58:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

60wt

07 Road King...Been having trouble with rear axle rotating and causing belt adjustment to be loose..Torque nut to 100lb with lock tight, nut is always tight but I can see my pencil mark on axle has moved...whaddya think???
I'm going nucking futs

kd

Known problem and discussed on here several times.  Stop gettin on it so hard  :hyst: 

The best fix is an aftermarket adjuster.  Failing that, (while you're looking for one  :wink: ), clean the oil film off of the washers and swingarm contact points, reassemble and torque to 125#.

Here's a couple of options in a recent ongoing thread and I'm sure others will chime in with a couple of aftermarket adjusters that are available.

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,111527.0/all.html
KD

PoorUB

February 23, 2020, 12:13:34 PM #2 Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 07:43:03 PM by PoorUB
KD pretty much covered it.
If you are using anti-seize on the axle you want to make sure the swing arm and the back side of the adjuster washers are spotless on final assembly. I shove the axle almost all the way in then take brake clean on a towel and keep wiping the back side of the washers and swing arm until clean. I will also torque the axle to about 50 ftlbs, then adjust the belt. I find the axle moves to easy at the factory recommendation. Final torque, 125 ftlbs. The 2020 touring bikes got a new axle and my understanding it is a direct swap. The adjustment cams changed, plus torque went up to 135-145 ftlbs.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Admiral Akbar

While the discussion in the other thread is pretty interesting (funny) and HD seems to have wandered of the deep end to fix it, the main issue is that the sides of the swingarm where the axle and spacers clamp is likely not flat on your bike. Squeezing it down with new cams and higher torque seems to be hds answer.

Boe Cole

On my 11 rgu, i've found that after adjusting the belt and tightening the lock nut to 100, the axle can still be relatively easily adjusted further.  100lbs does not cut it but since I take it easy for the most part, its been adequate but I think I'll crank it down to 120 for safety sake.  Should be able to handle it.
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

HogMike

When the service department replaced the axle on my 2019 cvo they also replaced the swing arm.
I was told the swing arm has a new part number along with the axle.
Haven't verified it yet but I now have a new swing arm, axle, wheel and assorted parts for the rear.
There MAY have been an issue with this bike as the wheel bearings went south at 6000 miles.

My 2017 cvo had major issues with the FRONT wheel. After multiple visits to the dealer the front wheel, rotors and assorted parts were replaced.

Harley is using a new vendor for wheels I'm told.

As a side note, I was changing tires on my 2000 heritage and noticed the rim had a stamp "made in Italy"!
:missed: :potstir:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

motorhogman

As a side note, I was changing tires on my 2000 heritage and noticed the rim had a stamp "made in Italy"!

Wheels on my 01 FLHT are made in Australia....
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor