April 25, 2024, 03:02:40 AM

News:

2019 Road Glide wont start

Started by Burch, February 09, 2020, 02:01:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burch

I need some help.

I posted earlier about hand grips...figured it would be a nice project for a Sunday afternoon.

Well...now bike wont start.

I did turn on ignition with key fob out of range.

With key fob in range, the radio and lights come on, but tach and speedo are dead.

My guess is I broke a wire or someting on the clutch side?

When I turn ignition to off, turn signals blink twice.

Any ideas would be awesome!

Not missing a ride, its snowing and 30 degrees here.

Thanks,

Burch
Burch

Leed

Silly question but did you check the kill switch?  I won't mention why that came to mind.  :embarrassed:

Burch

I will check that, thanks!

The fuel pump comes on...but no gauges at all. I also notice that fuel gauge and volt meter are not working...battery has been on tender, so my guess is that is good...?

No turn signals, no high/low beam control.

Radio and lights work...and fuel pump comes on...that is about it

Burch
Burch

Coyote

I don't have a '19 manual but I looked at the '18. Did you check your fuses?

Burch

Thanks! I have not checked fuses, but I will.

Must have pinched a wire and maybe blew a fuse?
Burch

Phu Cat

Battery in the key fob?   Sometimes a weak key fob battery can be overcome by putting the key fob close to the plastic side cover where the antenna is.  If the bike starts then, you know it's the fob battery.

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

Boe Cole

I'm assuming you replaced the grips.  When you split the switch assembly, you may have pinched a wire putting it back together and possibly caused a short.  Suggest you split the assembly and take a look.
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

fleetmechanic

February 09, 2020, 06:21:18 PM #7 Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 06:25:31 PM by fleetmechanic
Quote from: Boe Cole on February 09, 2020, 06:00:23 PM
I'm assuming you replaced the grips.  When you split the switch assembly, you may have pinched a wire putting it back together and possibly caused a short.  Suggest you split the assembly and take a look.
:agree::Done that a couple of times while installing heated grips.  An easy mistake to make that guarantees a blown fuse.
Right side more likely.

Burch

Thanks for all the help!

I found a blown fuse tonight. I also realized I should have pulled the main 50A fuse before I started.

I replaced the fuse, and all is back to normal.

Before I wrap it all up I will go back and see what may have caused the issue in the first place.

I also got a service manual which I have always had for my other bikes, just had not picked one up yet for the new bike.

Thanks Again! :up:
Burch

Coyote

Quote from: Burch on February 10, 2020, 03:45:27 PM
Thanks for all the help!

I found a blown fuse tonight. I also realized I should have pulled the main 50A fuse before I started.

I replaced the fuse, and all is back to normal.

Before I wrap it all up I will go back and see what may have caused the issue in the first place.

I also got a service manual which I have always had for my other bikes, just had not picked one up yet for the new bike.

Thanks Again! :up:

Who would have guess that?   :wink:
Glad you are up and running.

Burch

Yep, nailed it for sure!

Always get good help here at HTT.

I am sure I will have more questions, and maybe contribute here and there...
Burch