April 18, 2024, 08:17:24 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Spark Plugs

Started by freddie_ray, February 11, 2020, 04:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

98fxstc

Quote from: Dan89flstc on February 15, 2020, 06:39:36 AM
Let`s read on some more...

The 2019 Service Manual says threads to be clean and dry.

From a legitimate Factory Service Manual, 2019:

Factory Service Manual is first item I buy after getting a bike.
Accept it as gospel ?    Naah !

Scotty

One day when your threads from the head come out with the spark plug you will wish you had put some anti-seize on the threads  :hyst:

Dan89flstc

Quote from: Scotty on February 15, 2020, 01:56:49 PM
One day when your threads from the head come out with the spark plug you will wish you had put some anti-seize on the threads  :hyst:

I use it when the service manual says to, and I don`t use it when it specifically calls for clean dry threads...

I`ll take my chances and follow the service manual.

US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

Coyote

The service manual is probably assuming you're installing new plugs which don't need it. If re installing used plugs, I always use a dab.

Dan89flstc

February 16, 2020, 06:04:37 AM #29 Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 06:16:07 AM by Dan89flstc

Quote from: Coyote on February 15, 2020, 03:13:31 PM
The service manual is probably assuming you're installing new plugs which don't need it. If re installing used plugs, I always use a dab.

The service manual is clear:

The first step says: Verify proper gap before installing new or used spark plugs.

The second step says: Verify threads are clean and dry.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

smoserx1

February 16, 2020, 07:15:00 AM #30 Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 07:23:11 AM by smoserx1
This thread is really splitting hairs, almost to the point of ridiculousness.  My 99 SM does not address the issue at all.  I have a PDF version of a 2006 touring manual and it says to use the antisieze.  Anyway I looked other places for some information on the internet and found a plethora of opinions, blogs etc. but here are some things that seem like they might be valid.  NGK claims the trivalent coating does not require antizieze and can throw off the torque values by 20% but they also say the coating is sacrificed when the plug is removed.  If you remove them you might want to use a little antisiese and if you torque them go to 83% of the value.  I think that math is right as 1/1.2 = .83.  Autolight also does not recommend it but they say it is possible to contaminate the electrode.  They also mention the torque issue.  But I did find one article that recommends using antisieze on plugs with black metal threads.  I know I have seen some like that (AC Delco) maybe because these don't have any plating on the threads.  I still think you will be fine using just a little of it on any of them and being careful with your torque procedure.  I have never used a torque wrench installing plugs.  And I also don't believe everything I read in my service manual as gospel, especially when I find contradictory information in other sources.

98fxstc

Quote from: smoserx1 on February 16, 2020, 07:15:00 AM
This thread is really splitting hairs, almost to the point of ridiculousness.  My 99 SM does not address the issue at all.  I have a PDF version of a 2006 touring manual and it says to use the antisieze.  Anyway I looked other places for some information on the internet and found a plethora of opinions, blogs etc. but here are some things that seem like they might be valid.  NGK claims the trivalent coating does not require antizieze and can throw off the torque values by 20% but they also say the coating is sacrificed when the plug is removed.  If you remove them you might want to use a little antisiese and if you torque them go to 83% of the value.  I think that math is right as 1/1.2 = .83.  Autolight also does not recommend it but they say it is possible to contaminate the electrode.  They also mention the torque issue.  But I did find one article that recommends using antisieze on plugs with black metal threads.  I know I have seen some like that (AC Delco) maybe because these don't have any plating on the threads.  I still think you will be fine using just a little of it on any of them and being careful with your torque procedure.  I have never used a torque wrench installing plugs.  And I also don't believe everything I read in my service manual as gospel, especially when I find contradictory information in other sources.

:up:
good post

service manual refers to a bike in stock condition with stock parts
spark plug gaps refer to stock plugs
tire pressures relate to OEM tires
fluid quantities relate to zero modification chambers
torque specs relate to OEM parts
instructions in a service manual do not always translate to a different year/model

A service manual is a guide not a bible

kink04fxd

Anti seize, seat the plug, 1/4 turn. Come out easy and never get loose.
2000 FLHTCI (now carb)<br />1982 FLH