March 28, 2024, 03:41:05 PM

News:

Issue with a lifter bleeding down

Started by Iron horse, February 11, 2020, 05:59:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iron horse

I have a 2005 Deuce with 35,000 miles on it that I open up today . To replace the cam tensioner shoes . After removing the four lifters and placing them upright in a box . I filled the cup on the top of each unit . Three of the lifters don't drain down , but one of them drains down in about 3 mins . So should I start by taking it apart and cleaning it ? Or should I just bite the bullet and buy 4 new ones .

road-dawgs1

35k on the lifters? I'd buy all new ones.
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

smoserx1

Dan89flstc

US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

IronButt70

No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

Iron horse

I took all 4 apart and cleaned them , primed them up and filled the up cups with oil and they held for 24 hours . So I'm going to reinstall them . Thanks

Screamin beagle

I was going to buy some new underwear but then I realized that I can just turn them inside out and start all over again...nothing wrong with that either right? 35k on stock lifters??? Consider yourself victorious and buy new lifters...s and s standards can be found for 130 bucks,  WFO Larry has some great options that are priced right too. Do you really want to risk wiping out your motor over 130 bucks? It does happen. Time is my most valuable commodity...its about the only thing you can't buy more of. Think about having to go back in to replace the lifters in a few months...going to waste 3 or 4 hours. Isn't your time worth more than 130 bucks. I'm throwing out a set of s and s standards as we speak, they have 25k on them and there's no way I'm pushing my luck over 130 bucks...i went with Larry's slow leakdown with pin oiling this time, nice looking lifter. You should seriously consider replacing them.

kd

KD

Hossamania

It may be too late, but I also would replace them.
If they do fail, who are you going to be mad at? The lifter, HD for making a product that failed, or yourself?
As mentioned, it might not just be the lifter that fails,, but possibly the whole motor.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Ohio HD

Stock cams and valve springs?

Those are 'B' lifters, they'll probably run a long long time.

Hossamania

Ohio you're right, I kept thinking C lifters for some reason. 50/50 on changing them, then. For me, anyway.

roadkingdresser

had 1 of my  stock lifters go at 20,000 . the roller bearings left loose wiped the front cam out. $329 for new cams plus gaskets and down time took 3 weeks on back order-i'd change those lifters.

roadkingdresser

Ohio HD

Just out of curiosity, do you change the lifters now every 15,000 miles to prevent damage?

04 SE Deuce

Quote from: Ohio HD on February 22, 2020, 08:06:34 AM

Replaced the original/stock lifters in my unmodified 04 Deuce at 80,000 miles.

roadkingdresser

Yep cheaper than cams-s&s premiums now.
roadkingdresser

Ohio HD

Quote from: 04 SE DEUCE on February 22, 2020, 11:36:17 AM

Most likely with out issue, just was in there?

Hossamania

I do have 90,000 miles on my B lifters, gear drive cams so no other reason to go in there. I guess I don't have a leg to stand on giving lifter advice.

motorhogman

Just changed my B lifters. They had no known issues but with 60,000 mi I decided it was time.

Figured those little roller bearings had seen enough miles.

Got mine from WFO Larry

Great service and Great price..
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

04 SE Deuce

Quote from: Ohio HD on February 22, 2020, 11:50:47 AM
Quote from: 04 SE DEUCE on February 22, 2020, 11:36:17 AM

Most likely with out issue, just was in there?

Yes, replacing cam chain tensioners that were done.  Lifters looked fine.  I'd bet most B-lifters are good for 50K in stock cam/spring apps.

Ohio HD

I have 'B' lifters with S&S limiters on top of an S&S 625 cam set, and heavy duty valve springs. I have no plans to rush them out of there.