April 24, 2024, 06:03:59 PM

News:

Case leak

Started by Cstmhd, February 11, 2020, 08:47:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cstmhd

Hi guys

Have a leak from the seam on the lower engine cases. 2008 SG

The two allen bolts were finger loose so I'm hoping by tightening these two bolts it will stop my leak.  Does Anyone know the torque specs ? I Couldn't find it in the manual. If tightening doesn't work do you guys think ultra black will work along that seam ?

I def don't want to tear this engine apart.

rigidthumper

Spec is listed under "crankcase bolts"- if reassembling the cases, initial is 10 foot pounds in sequence, final torque is 15-19 foot pounds in sequence.
I'd set the torque wrench to 15# and see how it feels- this is one place where "too much" can be disastrous, as over tightening can distort the cases.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Cstmhd

Thanks !   Def don't want to disassemble so I'm hoping tightening bolts works if not Than I'll try a sealant. Don't really want to split cases etc.

Cstmhd

So

The leak is definitely coming from the seam.

Has anyone had any luck using ultra black/grey ?

I tightened the bolts which were loose to 18 ft lbs not leaking as bad but still leaking.

Any ideas other than splitting cases.

Thanks

Boe Cole

My solution was to put cardboard under the bike when parked.  Too much effort/cost for a couple drips - just lazy i guess..........
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

PoorUB

IMO, either put up with the leak, or split the cases. You might stop it for a while with silicone, but not permanently.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

kd

If it's not leaking badly it may just be residual oil in the seam and may eventually dry up.
KD

Hossamania

Besides, in the long run it's really not leaking that bad...

[attach=0]
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

kd

:hyst: :hyst:  The cardboard king.  :SM:
KD

Hossamania

Quote from: kd on February 14, 2020, 12:56:56 PM
:hyst: :hyst:  The cardboard king.  :SM:

Got any old boxes I can get from you?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

motorplex88

Just use the cardboard your oil comes in.  :teeth:

kd

I get mine from the liquor store.   Do you ever go there?   :smiled:
KD

Cstmhd

Lol I'm running out of cardboard so.

Splitting cases at this time unfortunately isn't a option at this time.

jsachs1

Quote from: Cstmhd on February 14, 2020, 10:00:32 AM
So

The leak is definitely coming from the seam.

Has anyone had any luck using ultra black/grey ?

I tightened the bolts which were loose to 18 ft lbs not leaking as bad but still leaking.

Any ideas other than splitting cases.

Thanks
I use black or gray when assembling engine cases. Sometimes it's like an assembly line here. Never a leak or problem. Actually whenever I remove cylinders, I give a light wipe of black or gray from the top of the case seam to the case area under the spark plug. Reason for that is, I find the pad area isn't always 100 % flat. O-rings aren't always magic. :wink:
John

koko3052

What I would try is use some brake clean & compressed air to try to clean the oil out of the seam, then a couple coats of spray paint. :nix:

72fl

There is also a Product by Permatex Spray Sealant, Your call, I'm not saying it's what to do but it's worth a shot.

kd

I remembered this discussion from before.  You'll find a couple of good ideas in it.

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,106528.msg1264151.html#msg1264151
KD

hardheaded

Flex -Seal,  Why not ?

Mule

Because it is not OIL resistant! Flex seal is a water borne acrylic elastomeric