May 04, 2024, 04:32:17 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Finally back together and...

Started by motorhogman, February 26, 2020, 08:11:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rking1550

I only read some of the responses,  so if I missed this , sorry.
I know  exhaust gaskets were mentioned. But if your pulling the exhaust I'd replace the snap ring that holds the flanges on. I've seen more that one bend/ flex and then won't pull the pipe in tight enough. I know some guys even suggest doubling up on them. I've never doubled them. Never had to with new ones.
124"@ 11.1 to 1, T-man 662-2, T-man thumper, woods CV 51 carb,  Bassini RR

kd

KD

motorhogman

Quote from: Rockout Rocker Products on February 29, 2020, 09:00:02 AM
Quote from: motorhogman on February 27, 2020, 07:02:09 AM

Yea... for sure.. To me that exhaust system is the worst part of the job...LOL...

Same on my Limited with Power Duals. There is a +/-2 degree tolerance on the angle needed to get them to go on.  :banghead:

Geeesh  Ya.. I used my Black n Decker laser to get it all lined up within that +/- 2 degee window.  :wink: Got it all installed nicely.. Went for a test ride and no more exhaust leak.  :bike:
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

motorhogman

Quote from: Hossamania on February 29, 2020, 11:53:03 AM
It's funny how I struggle to get my exhaust header to go on, fight it every which way, and then suddenly it drops right on like I cut it to fit.

The second time on this project they lined right up with almost no problem... Makes me miss my old staggered duals on the old shovel though.

motorhogman

Quote from: rking1550 on February 29, 2020, 02:10:10 PM
I only read some of the responses,  so if I missed this , sorry.
I know  exhaust gaskets were mentioned. But if your pulling the exhaust I'd replace the snap ring that holds the flanges on. I've seen more that one bend/ flex and then won't pull the pipe in tight enough. I know some guys even suggest doubling up on them. I've never doubled them. Never had to with new ones.

I tried doubling up on those rings a while back, with OEM gaskets had a hard time getting the  flange nuts started.  It's always worked fine with a single ring until I put those skinny gaskets it. again...I  :banghead:

motorhogman

Quote from: kd on February 29, 2020, 03:10:50 PM
Doubling up is a good thing.  :wink:

Maybe it was just where the moon and stars were sitting that day..  but I have tried doubling them and had a real hard time getting the flange nuts started using OEM exhaust gaskets.