April 25, 2024, 08:56:32 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Michelin Commander III?

Started by Finn, February 13, 2020, 03:20:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Finn

Do you by any chance happen to have any experiences of the Michelin Commander III yet?
-83 GS1000G | -84 GSX1100EF | -97 FLHR | -98 FLSTS | -16 Triumph Tiger Explorer XRT 1200

IronButt70

Quote from: Finn on February 13, 2020, 03:20:48 AM
Do you by any chance happen to have any experiences of the Michelin Commander III yet?
They only became available here last month so not much data to go on yet. They will be my next set. By then there should be some stats. The IIs have done very well for me.
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

calif phil

To early to tell. They have a really nice look to the sidewall.  They have to be an improvement over the CII as I was not a fan of those. 

Finn

Thanks, guys. I didn't quite realize those are so recent product.

-83 GS1000G | -84 GSX1100EF | -97 FLHR | -98 FLSTS | -16 Triumph Tiger Explorer XRT 1200

screem

i am close to need both F&R for my softail, and i real interested in the III's... i have been running metzlers for the couple sets... poor wear for the rear tire.. so looking to change, will need them by May..

Finn

February 15, 2020, 09:52:23 PM #5 Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 09:56:25 PM by Finn
So, there are two alternatives of the Michelin Commander III available:

Michelin Commander III Cruiser

https://motorcycle.michelinman.com/motorbike/tyres/michelin-commander-iii-cruiser

"Exceptional Wet Grip for Cruiser Bikes"

and

Michelin Commander III Touring

https://motorcycle.michelinman.com/motorbike/tyres/michelin-commander-iii-touring

"Class-Leading Mileage for Touring Bikes"

SE Road King

Commander III is a touring tire, you can run them on any wheel that it fits, but, don't expect a touring tire to perform as the high-end sporting tires do. And, there is a reason that Wingers only run that "granite-like" tire made for them, it's the suspension. Every M/C tire is constructed for a purpose. Except for the very lightweights, there are no general-purpose tires for M/C's. In many instances, you can't do better than Michelin. Also, I've been forced to cut a lot of Harley tires off of my bikes over the last 45 years.
I've run a dozen or more of the Commander II's and mounted more than that for others without a complaint about touring in Texas. Marketing pressures always begin in the bean counter's den. So, unless processes have marked improvements, I would keep an eye out. Look between your fists for a lesson there. In my experience with Michelin, I expect them to prove out well. There are many quality manufacturers for M/C tires.
All motorcycle tires require aggressive visual and technical maintenance. You will only be missed by the ones that love you, love them back and do the work.
Cedar Creek Lake, Texas
Rock Stock 2017 FLHR, Vivid Black

r0de_runr

Quote from: SE Road King on February 16, 2020, 04:47:30 AM
Commander III is a touring tire, you can run them on any wheel that it fits, but, don't expect a touring tire to perform as the high-end sporting tires do. And, there is a reason that Wingers only run that "granite-like" tire made for them, it's the suspension. Every M/C tire is constructed for a purpose. Except for the very lightweights, there are no general-purpose tires for M/C's. In many instances, you can't do better than Michelin. Also, I've been forced to cut a lot of Harley tires off of my bikes over the last 45 years.
I've run a dozen or more of the Commander II's and mounted more than that for others without a complaint about touring in Texas. Marketing pressures always begin in the bean counter's den. So, unless processes have marked improvements, I would keep an eye out. Look between your fists for a lesson there. In my experience with Michelin, I expect them to prove out well. There are many quality manufacturers for M/C tires.
All motorcycle tires require aggressive visual and technical maintenance. You will only be missed by the ones that love you, love them back and do the work.

Reading this gave me a headache. 
Teach your son to ride, shoot and always speak the truth.

C#

Quote from: Finn on February 15, 2020, 09:52:23 PM
So, there are two alternatives of the Michelin Commander III available:

Michelin Commander III Cruiser

https://motorcycle.michelinman.com/motorbike/tyres/michelin-commander-iii-cruiser

"Exceptional Wet Grip for Cruiser Bikes"

and

Michelin Commander III Touring

https://motorcycle.michelinman.com/motorbike/tyres/michelin-commander-iii-touring

"Class-Leading Mileage for Touring Bikes"

There appears to be very few, if any, dealers for these tires when you put in a city.

SP33DY

Drag Specialties stocks 27 items in the Michelin Commander III line. They have stock in all but 4 selections. Your local Indy /Drag dealer should be able to help you out.

Finn

Been wondering which one of the new Commander IIIs, Cruiser or Touring, is "comparable" with Commander II.  :scratch:

It looks like the Touring is available in MT90B16 and MU85B16 (my FLSTC sizes) whereas Cruiser sizes would be 130/90B16 and 150/80B16 for my bike.

Finn

Thank you for contacting MICHELIN Consumer Care.

The MICHELIN Commander III Cruiser would be the direct replacement for the MICHELIN Commander II.

It really depends on the motorbike you have and the riding you plan on doing.

The main differences between the Cruiser and Touring versions are:

•   The MICHELIN Commander III Touring is designed to withstand heavy luggage for long periods of time, with no compromise on durability..
•   The MICHELIN Commander III Touring is designed to provide excellent longevity with enhanced wet grip with its new tread compounds 100% silica.
•   The MICHELIN Commander III Cruiser is designed for cruisers that tend to travel short distances at a time.
•   The MICHELIN Commander III Cruiser will provide better wet grip and durability then the Commander II. 

motorhogman

Quote from: Finn on March 04, 2020, 03:54:51 AM

The MICHELIN Commander III Cruiser would be the direct replacement for the MICHELIN Commander II.

•   The MICHELIN Commander III Touring is designed to withstand heavy luggage for long periods of time, with no compromise on durability..
•   The MICHELIN Commander III Touring is designed to provide excellent longevity with enhanced wet grip with its new tread compounds 100% silica.
•   The MICHELIN Commander III Cruiser is designed for cruisers that tend to travel short distances at a time.
•   The MICHELIN Commander III Cruiser will provide better wet grip and durability then the Commander II. 

Now ya got me wondering.. I'm on my second Commander II on the rear. I  like the tire.

First one was well worn out at 10,000 mi. despite Michelins claims of far better mileage than competitors.

Now reading the Touring vs Cruiser notes there I'm wondering if I put the wrong tire on my FLHT ? 

The first one was a 130/90B 16 as is the one I currently have on.

Can't seem to find a Commander II listing that shows MT90 vs 130/90..

Trying to figure out if miles less than expected was due to running a Cruiser version.

where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

Pete_Vit

:up: great info thank you
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

klammer76

Quote from: motorhogman on March 04, 2020, 06:49:28 AM

Now ya got me wondering.. I'm on my second Commander II on the rear. I  like the tire.

First one was well worn out at 10,000 mi. despite Michelins claims of far better mileage than competitors.

Now reading the Touring vs Cruiser notes there I'm wondering if I put the wrong tire on my FLHT ? 

Trying to figure out if miles less than expected was due to running a Cruiser version.
I am on my second set of Commander II's. I have the same results on my 2002 FLHTC. Overall I like the tires but they do not inspire a lot of confidence in the rain especially the second set. I run a 150/80-16 rear. Am looking forward to trying the Commander III's.

Avon Venoms were the best for me but just no mileage.

IronButt70

Quote from: motorhogman on March 04, 2020, 06:49:28 AM

I've been running the IIs for a long time but I've never seen or heard mentioned that there were 2 versions, a touring and a cruising. Did the IIs ever have both?
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

motorhogman

"I've been running the IIs for a long time but I've never seen or heard mentioned that there were 2 versions, a touring and a cruising. Did the IIs ever have both?"

I have searched the Michelin site and can't find a Touring vs Cruiser Commander II.. They only thing I find is them saying the III is better...

When I search on different vendors that have an application guide they come up with the 130 90 tire for my 01 FLHT and no mention of a MT90.. I always thought they were the same...??

calif phil

The CII's just had one compound to chose.  A 130-90-16 is the same as a MT-90-16

motorhogman

Quote from: calif phil on March 05, 2020, 06:12:20 AM
The CII's just had one compound to chose.  A 130-90-16 is the same as a MT-90-16

Thanks Phil..

bump

I cut the cross reference chart for tires out of an old catalog and laminated it. Use it whenever I am looking at tire stuff. Then call Phil

Finn

If I'm not mistaken MU85B16 is more or less the same as 140/90B16, yes?

calif phil

Quote from: Finn on March 05, 2020, 08:40:26 AM
If I'm not mistaken MU85B16 is more or less the same as 140/90B16, yes?

Yes, you are correct. 

Finn

Great! Now I just have to find a set of Commander III Cruisers for my bike.  :baby:

Finn

FWIW, Commander IIIs are made in Thailand like the predecessor.

misfitJason

Buddy just got a pair of commander 3's for his Dyna after we were talking to the reps from Michelin. They boast that the 3's should last 25 percent longer and have a better rain pattern
2006 Dyna, Kraftech Evo Softail