April 23, 2024, 04:05:29 PM

News:

Michelin Commander III?

Started by Finn, February 13, 2020, 03:20:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete_Vit

Quote from: misfitJason on March 10, 2020, 11:20:38 AM
Buddy just got a pair of commander 3's for his Dyna after we were talking to the reps from Michelin. They boast that the 3's should last 25 percent longer and have a better rain pattern
:up: now time to burn up them Avons I got
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

calgary56

I've run 10 Michelin Commander IIs on my 2005 Wide Glide, .... looking forward to trying the IIIs
Live Long, ... Out Ride the Reaper !

1workinman

Quote from: calgary56 on March 11, 2020, 02:06:20 PM
I've run 10 Michelin Commander IIs on my 2005 Wide Glide, .... looking forward to trying the IIIs
Yea I had no problems with the II either and I don't drag race or any thing like that just cruising , I going to use the newer version when I need them

kd

Quote from: 1workinman on March 11, 2020, 05:07:18 PM
Yea I had no problems with the II either and I don't drag race or any thing like that just cruising , I going to use the newer version when I need them

:hyst: :hyst:  Ohhh Yaa, a 124 and a 143 in the barn and I don't drag race or do anything like burnouts, wheelies or bang the odd shift.   :koolaid:  Pass the koolaid please.   :hyst:

:scoot:   :chop:
KD

1workinman

Quote from: kd on March 11, 2020, 05:33:01 PM
Quote from: 1workinman on March 11, 2020, 05:07:18 PM

:hyst: :hyst:  Ohhh Yaa, a 124 and a 143 in the barn and I don't drag race or do anything like burnouts, wheelies or bang the odd shift.   :koolaid:  Pass the koolaid please.   :hyst:

:scoot:   :chop:
Well lol after reading this it does sound a bit far fetched lol  :agree:  I really like to just let the big dog eat . I was drinking my coffee and nearly chocked laughing damn

Finn

Michelin Commander III Cruisers in suitable size came available (back order for several weeks) over here yesterday. Placed an order in immediately. Too bad the weather looks to be getting colder again.
-83 GS1000G | -84 GSX1100EF | -97 FLHR | -98 FLSTS | -16 Triumph Tiger Explorer XRT 1200

14Frisco

Quote from: Finn on March 27, 2020, 12:56:35 PM
Michelin Commander III Cruisers in suitable size came available (back order for several weeks) over here yesterday.

Over here, Cycle Gear has them on sale now: Michelin Commander III

IronButt70

Quote from: 14Frisco on March 27, 2020, 02:07:03 PM
Quote from: Finn on March 27, 2020, 12:56:35 PM
Michelin Commander III Cruisers in suitable size came available (back order for several weeks) over here yesterday.

Over here, Cycle Gear has them on sale now: Michelin Commander III
Same price on Amazon with free shipping and depending on where you live no sales tax.
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

Finn

IMHO so much better without them whitewalls.

-83 GS1000G | -84 GSX1100EF | -97 FLHR | -98 FLSTS | -16 Triumph Tiger Explorer XRT 1200

Finn

Just 100 miles on them at this point but they do feel good. Very neutral but also easy to point and hold in curves.

Hossamania

I have to agree, the black looks better than the whitewalls.
Keep us updated on your observations of these tires, glad they are working for you.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

HogMike

I dunno, I kinda like my white walls on the black bike.
:potstir:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

Hossamania

I'm generally pretty lazy, don't wash the bikes much, so my whitewalls would be dull walls.
Your whites look sharp, nice and clean.

HogMike

Quote from: Hossamania on May 04, 2020, 09:25:11 AM
I'm generally pretty lazy, don't wash the bikes much, so my whitewalls would be dull walls.

Tech tip:
I use GoJo hand cleaner on the whites, easy on easy off! :bike:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

Hossamania

Quote from: HOGMIKE on May 04, 2020, 10:25:52 AM
Quote from: Hossamania on May 04, 2020, 09:25:11 AM

Tech tip:
I use GoJo hand cleaner on the whites, easy on easy off! :bike:

I'll pass it on!

les

I just got done doing a cam on a 2017 Street Glide Special.  When I got done, the guy asked if I'd handle the work and logistics of putting a set of III's on the bike, as the current tires were worn out.

We were standing there looking at the new back tire on his bike and commenting that the middle part of the tire is essentially a slick.  In other words, the angled tread does not overlap, like it does on my American Elites.  That brought up the question about riding in heavy rain in a straight line.  He was not happy about his decision to invest in the set of III's at the end of our look-n-talk.

I don't like those tires because that middle part gives me the willies imagining riding that thing in a heavy rain on the expressway.  Of course, I'm no tire engineer so I might be wrong in my opinion compared to research lab testing.  However, I'm still responsible for my own safety.

kd

Les, I notice the trend toward that on a lot of the modern tire treads compared to what us older fellas are used to.  I'd love to hear how the 2 styles compare also.
KD

Jim Bronson

i just ordered another II to replace my existing II on the rear. I considered ordering a III, but I read about the tread difference somewhere and decided to stick with the II. The present one is just getting even with the wear bars at 15,000 mi. I don't often ride in rain, so I think another II will be fine for me.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

les

Quote from: kd on May 04, 2020, 12:09:16 PM
Les, I notice the trend toward that on a lot of the modern tire treads compared to what us older fellas are used to.  I'd love to hear how the 2 styles compare also.

I've never had the III's on my bike.  I really like the elites, and I won't be switching to another tire.  I will tell you that I rode with the guy back to his neighborhood.  We pulled over to talk and say goodbye.  Out of the blue, he brought up that maybe he made a mistake getting the III's.  I asked why, and really didn't get a good answer.  That's when we started taking a close look at that brand new rear tire and started to compare my elite tread overlap and that he basically had a slick down the center of his.  I just don't get that tread pattern.

hawkijustin

Supersport tires are the same way. In any rain your front tire will split the water and your rear tire will have mostly dry"ish" pavement to ride on. Any sort of lean and that's when the tread starts. Tread that extends to the middle of the tire does less than you would think in rain.

Finn

Michelin Commander 3 tyres, Cruiser on the left and Touring on the right.

According to Michelin the Cruiser has better wet grip of these two despite of "less" grooves on front tyre. I have no doubt that the Touring has fully adequate wet grip as well.

So different these approaches in the tyre designs. Avon Cobra Chrome front tyre has the same sort of "grooveless" center.

And so different from what used to be the designs in the past. Like Metzeler ME33, today called Metzeler Lasertec.

les

Quote from: hawkijustin on May 04, 2020, 06:11:12 PM
Supersport tires are the same way. In any rain your front tire will split the water and your rear tire will have mostly dry"ish" pavement to ride on. Any sort of lean and that's when the tread starts. Tread that extends to the middle of the tire does less than you would think in rain.

That answers the question.  The fronts of the III's do have overlapping treads.

Finn

"Exceptional Wet Grip for Cruiser Bikes

MICHELIN® Commander® III Cruiser tires offer the best wet grip and the shortest stopping distances in wet conditions among leading competitors*

*Based on internal test conducted in Fontange, France using a 2016 Harley-Davidson Forty-Eight fitted with 130/90 B 16 front tire and 150/50 B16 rear tire comparing lap times and stopping distances of MICHELIN® Commander® III Cruiser tires with METZELER® CruisetecTM, METZELER® M888 MarathonTM Ultra, and DUNLOP® Elite 4 tires. Actual on-road results may vary."

I reckon there is more to the wet grip than just grooving.

les

I'm slowly learning that, although I have to admit it's counter intuitive.  I've watched MotoGP over the years.  Slick tires in dry, treads (overlapping) in the rain.  Somehow this changes when it's a Harley and not a Ducati.  But I can't argue with the test results.  Measurements are measurements and they are fact.

Finn

I have my reservations regarding the tread design, too, but Michelin tend to make good tyres.

I'll let you guys know if I end up sliding on my behind down the wet road.  :SM: