March 28, 2024, 08:40:18 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Cylinder base o rings

Started by topcat3815, February 13, 2020, 07:20:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

topcat3815

Im changing the heads on a late model twin cam with 21,000 miles, Do I need to replace the base O rings? Thanks in advance for all replies

koko3052

Be careful & don't bump the cylinders loose & I never have a problem. If I do remove the cyls. for some reason other than a bore & hone I leave the pistons inside when removing.

Jim Bronson

I had a leak around the cylinder bases about a month ago. It got so bad I had a shop open it up to replace the o-rings. They looked fine to me, and I don't know why they would leak, but apparently they did. The cylinders were out of round and wearing too much, so that may be the reason. I'm replacing everything south of the heads as soon as the parts arrive (Monday, I hope). If they're not leaking, I'd say just be careful and reuse them.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

Pirsch Fire Wagon

I replace the base Gaskets and Seals on whatever I remove the heads on. You're talking 15 - 30 mins max additional time and the cost of the Seal/Gasket. Many EVO's kind if dictated that as many have leaked. I can't speak to the TC or M8 because I just do them anyway.
Tom

moose

its good to have a second pair of hands to make sure the cylinders down pull when you pull the head
Moose aka Glenn-

jsachs1

Quote from: Pirsch Fire Wagon on February 14, 2020, 06:29:07 PM
I replace the base Gaskets and Seals on whatever I remove the heads on. You're talking 15 - 30 mins max additional time and the cost of the Seal/Gasket. Many EVO's kind if dictated that as many have leaked. I can't speak to the TC or M8 because I just do them anyway.
Standard procedure here without fail. :wink:
John