March 28, 2024, 11:33:20 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Prime oiling system on M8 build?

Started by Mag19, February 09, 2020, 08:46:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mag19

For all you M8 guys that have done rebuilds; are you all priming the oiling system before initial startup? If so whats the procedure? Im just finishing up a rebuild and have flushed all my lines as well as a new oil cooler install. Thanks.

Mopower

I leave the plugs out and the fuel line disconnected from the tank and crank it over until the oil light goes out. Then I crank it 3 or 4 more times like that to get oil pumped up into the rocker arms.

Buglet

I use a pre-lube tank on all the motors I do, Just done a Pan. 

PoorUB

I used to have an old refrigerant tank with a oil filter attached. I would unscrew the valve, put in 2-3 quarts of oil, air it up to 50 PSI, hook a hose to the oil pressure sender port, flip it upside down and open the valve. With a Harley engine you sure don't want to pump that much oil into it, but with a car engine I could.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

les

Quote from: Mopower on February 10, 2020, 08:19:04 AM
I leave the plugs out and the fuel line disconnected from the tank and crank it over until the oil light goes out. Then I crank it 3 or 4 more times like that to get oil pumped up into the rocker arms.

I use this procedure on any H-D engine I work on, but instead of disconnecting the fuel line I pull the fuel pump fuse.  Of course, either works.  I've also seen that the number of cranks varies from engine to engine get that pressure up there if you've got an oil pressure gauge, but 3 or 4 more times after light goes out is about typical to get the system primed.

Mag19

I like that, makes sense and thanks for the info on your method. Appreciate it.