March 28, 2024, 07:21:29 AM

News:

Another Ultima Question

Started by Deye76, February 13, 2020, 01:27:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deye76

Anyone know if a Ultima 113" has cast or forged pistons? Motor was manufactured 2.5 years ago.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

jsachs1

Quote from: Deye76 on February 13, 2020, 01:27:59 PM
Anyone know if a Ultima 113" has cast or forged pistons? Motor was manufactured 2.5 years ago.
Forged.

Deye76

D-1

What has your experience been with the engine? Did you change anything before fitting, has it been reliable?

Deye76

Quote from: D-1 on February 18, 2020, 04:13:26 PM
What has your experience been with the engine? Did you change anything before fitting, has it been reliable?

Too early to tell on reliability. Initially it only went 8 miles, key in the oil pump sheared. Ultima acted very quickly getting a crate delivered to ship back, they went through the engine, got it back to me in short order. So far it has been mechanically quiet, and runs good. It does not get good mileage. In my quest to improve mileage, I installed a programmable ignition, and had it dyno tuned. Now it runs poorly except for wide open, and decel pops badly through the exhaust. I suspect the R1 carb, based on feedback from several guys that have this motor/carb. I got a brand new S&S G, but it is defective, had to send it back. Waiting on a replacement.  As with any crate motor built on a assembly line, it's a roll of the dice. Nothing better than a one off bench built motor, by a builder with a proven track record, IME.

Burnout

If you want mileage switch to a Mikuni flat or better yet round slide carb.
An efficient exhaust is another big factor, many pipes leave a lot of scraps on the table.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

capn

On my Ultima 120 had trouble getting it to run right until I went to the thin style intake seals.They are designed for the larger diameter intake manifolds. You can get them from Zippers.

hbkeith

Quote from: Deye76 on February 19, 2020, 07:48:26 AM
and decel pops badly through the exhaust. I suspect the R1 carb,
I have same Bassani you have , I have mikuni 45 , mine decal pops weird as hell too

Burnout

Decel pops are normal, not a sign that there is anything wrong.
It is likely that your AFRs are good, crisp and clean.
Can be irritating with an un-muffled exhaust.
Can be caused by small exhaust leaks at the head.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

hbkeith

Quote from: Burnout on February 20, 2020, 04:44:53 PM
Decel pops are normal, not a sign that there is anything wrong.
It is likely that your AFRs are good, crisp and clean.
Can be irritating with an un-muffled exhaust.
Can be caused by small exhaust leaks at the head.
"weird decal pop " quite different than the other 20 HD ive had , that's why I mention it to Deye , wandering if its just this Basani

Deye76

February 21, 2020, 05:17:33 AM #10 Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 05:30:44 AM by Deye76
My Bassani did not decel pop with the ignition that came with the motor, and the R1 carb. I ran a S&S 100" Evo crate motor, S&S G and a Thunderheader for 70-80 thousand miles, never popped once. I'm not buying it's "normal" .   

turboprop

Quote from: Deye76 on February 21, 2020, 05:17:33 AM
My Bassani did not decel pop with the ignition that came with the motor, and the R1 carb. I ran a S&S 100" Evo crate motor, S&S G and a Thunderheader for 70-80 thousand miles, never popped once. I'm not buying it's "normal" .

Agreed. I would suspect that the tuner missed an area. Not throwing stones at whoever tuned your bike, but will say that most tuners are very proficient with fuel injected stuff while their knowledge of tuning a carb'd bike is not as deep. Good example is a local guy here that tunes a lot of injected bikes (does very well) only does wide open pulls on carb'd bikes. I have showed him how to set the load on the drum and do pulls at varying combinations of loads, rpm's and throttle positions. INE, tuning a worked over carb'd engine can require as many or more pulls than tuning an injected bike. Add in a Thunderjet or two and the number of pulls increases significantly.

The air bleed for the Thunderjet is not mentioned very often but when it is the information is usually wrong. I am not referring to the bleed for the main jet that is often machined into the side of the carb or inside the float bowl. I am referring to the bleed for the T-Jet that is located on the side of the T-Jet at the very base of it. This bleed is a drilled hole and is not replaceable. The only way to change the size of this bleed is to drill it out to a larger size, or close it with epoxy and drill a smaller hole.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Hossamania

I agree on tuning a carb, a local tuner charges less for carb tuning than efi, and I didn't understand why. Efi tunes with a PC, a carb tunes with disassembly and burnt fingers. He also said he couldn't get rid of ping at part throttle, which was the whole reason for a tune. I did it myself.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Deye76

"guy here that tunes a lot of injected bikes (does very well) only does wide open pulls on carb'd bikes."

I suspect the same, in my case.