May 05, 2024, 01:38:17 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Old sidecar vin...

Started by JamLazyAss, February 21, 2020, 06:53:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamLazyAss

45LE16XX

Would this be a knuckle, big flathead, or 45 sidecar based on this vin?
I'm not a proctologist, but I know an asshole when I see one...

Ohio HD

I've honestly never heard on an LE designation. A 1945 EL would be a 61" Knuckle Head.

JamLazyAss

Neither have I, but it's definitely stamped LE.
Lets see what others post up.
I'm not a proctologist, but I know an asshole when I see one...

Speeding Big Twin

If authentic the SN indicates a 1945 Sport Sidecar (R-H) for 61ci twin (Knuckle) and 74ci twin (Knuckle and BT Flathead).

Is the SN on the chassis or on a small plate inside the body? Or both? What do the characters look like? Can you post photos please because the characters in 1945 sidecar SNs are not all the same types as those found in a 1945 engine SN. Thanks.
Eric

fleetmechanic

I just sold a 45LE chassis to a guy locally to put on his 1948 FL.  The LE was made to fit the rigid frames on the EL and FL bikes and may have also been for the ULs.  The VIN is stamped on the frame like the later ones.

Speeding Big Twin

As per the season order blank I posted above, the 45LE Sport Sidecar was for 61 and 74 twins. Here's a close-up of that section.

Obviously this means 61ci Knuckle, 74ci Knuckle and 74ci Flathead (U-series).

As I indicated earlier, the SN may be on the chassis and on a small plate inside the body. Below are examples of this from the one sidecar. Also notice some characters are not the same types as each other. And some characters in a 1945 engine SN are different again.

In the chassis photo I posted I see no sign of an anchor stamp but please look closely for such a stamp on your chassis and let us know if you find anything. An anchor stamp is sometimes found on the tubing next to the SN. (I have examples of it for 1942 and 1943.) 
Eric

Ohio HD

Quote from: Speeding Big Twin on February 21, 2020, 08:44:19 PM
If authentic the SN indicates a 1945 Sport Sidecar (R-H) for 61ci twin (Knuckle) and 74ci twin (Knuckle and BT Flathead).

Is the SN on the chassis or on a small plate inside the body? Or both? What do the characters look like? Can you post photos please because the characters in 1945 sidecar SNs are not all the same types as those found in a 1945 engine SN. Thanks.
Eric

Nice piece of information.    :up: