April 19, 2024, 08:20:50 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Ohlins fork cartridges, who's running them

Started by rking1550, February 16, 2020, 07:02:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rking1550

Looking for some input on them  Worth the cost  ? Easy install ?
Bikes a 01 roadking.  Big upgrade over stock ?
Thanks
124"@ 11.1 to 1, T-man 662-2, T-man thumper, woods CV 51 carb,  Bassini RR

rhuff

Quote from: rking1550 on February 16, 2020, 07:02:25 AM
Thanks

I personally am not. I sold my 2003 just this last summer, but I did spent lots of time considering whether to upgrade the front forks.

Depending on your "issues" with your front suspension, you might be better off going with the CCE triple trees as an upgrade vs. the cartridge.  From speaking to some people in the industry, the bigger issue with the pre- 2009 bikes was more the poor forks than the actual internals (which of course are still deficient).

Sorry I can't give you a great answer, but I kind of got tired of dealing with the poor suspension up front and wasn't willing to spend a ton on the CCE and probably the Ohlins as well. 

rking1550

Quote from: rhuff on February 16, 2020, 08:09:36 AM
Thanks

I personally am not. I sold my 2003 just this last summer, but I did spent lots of time considering whether to upgrade the front forks.

Depending on your "issues" with your front suspension, you might be better off going with the CCE triple trees as an upgrade vs. the cartridge.  From speaking to some people in the industry, the bigger issue with the pre- 2009 bikes was more the poor forks than the actual internals (which of course are still deficient).

Sorry I can't give you a great answer, but I kind of got tired of dealing with the poor suspension up front and wasn't willing to spend a ton on the CCE and probably the Ohlins as well.

What's special about the trees ? What can they do better than a cartridge?

klammer76

Quote from: rking1550 on February 16, 2020, 01:49:50 PM
Thanks

The CCI upper tree is full complement (clamps the fork tube). Harley FL's up to 2013 did not.

rhuff

Quote from: rking1550 on February 16, 2020, 01:49:50 PM
Thanks

The pre-2013 forks were not great.  When mixed with the pre-2008 frames, lots of people had issues.  Wobble being a big one.  The CCE trees would be the bigger fix IMO over cartridges for *most* people, especially if you ride in sweepers, curves and at a brisker pace.  Just my opinion as I'm no expert, but I know on my 2003 that the cartridge kit only wasn't going to ever make me happy.  YMMV.

HighLiner

Just be aware the cartridges require a special adapter to be run with the CCE trees.

rking1550

February 17, 2020, 08:23:48 AM #6 Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 12:49:40 PM by rking1550
Quote from: HighLiner on February 16, 2020, 08:02:34 PM
Just be aware the cartridges require a special adapter to be run with the CCE trees.

I see they have special fork caps for some applications  for progressive kits. But if the cartridges are just a internal swap. Why do they need any kind of adapters?
Not doubting you just trying to learn. Maybe a call to CCE  is the thing to do at this point. But not sure I want to spend another $800 ish on top of the cartridges.
Thanks for the info.

turboprop

Quote from: rking1550 on February 17, 2020, 08:23:48 AM
Quote from: HighLiner on February 16, 2020, 08:02:34 PM

I see they have special fork caps for some applications  for progressive kits. But if the cartridges are just a internal swap. Why do they need any kind of adapters?
Not doubting you just trying to learn. Maybe a call to CCE  is the thing to do at this point. But not sure I want to spend another $800 ish on top of the cartridges.
Thanks for the info.

Because the CCE trees  come with longer tubes. Think about how the upper tree interfaces with the fork tube in the oem configuration. Now imagine the longer CCE tube going through the CCE top tree and being clamped, same way as the botom tree. The longer tubes are required for the CCE trees. The Ohlins cartridges will not simply drop into the new/longer CCE tubes with an adapter of some sort to make up the difference in length.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Die Hard

I have Ohlins front and back on my 2015 Street Glide. Came from Howard at MotorcycleMetal at a great price. Well worth the money to me. The difference is night and day from the factory suspension.
Life is too short to drink cheap whiskey.

rking1550

Cartridges have been ordered, notes I just need to decide if I want to double the cost and do the triple trees too.
Thanks for the info.

PC_Hater

Take a sharp intake of breath and get the CCE triple tree conversion.
ONE bolt, just ONE bolt tries to hold each fork leg in place - just like on the BMW Harley were given to copy in 1941 when they built the XA...
Things have moved on.

I have the CCE triple tree conversion parts sitting in my garage ready to be fitted as soon as I can find the time, and hopefully in the next month or so.
I have been using the RaceTech Emulators for years - mainly good, but I have Progressive springs ready to go in when I do the swap.
Oh, and I have a CCE fork brace for an FLH fitted too. You have to ask him very nicely for one of those, but as I am in the  UK he felt a bit flattered or something!
And yes, of course the front end is better with a fork brace. The cowbells are in a box somewhere.
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

cpiccarr

Food for thought. I have a 2010 Road Glide suspension real disappointment. Replaced rear shocks with Ohlins  nice improvement. Now the front on a somewhat budget. I researched both Progressive springs and Race Tech emulators. Decided on Race Tech kit comes with springs and Emulators. Option you can review and ponder. Under 300 bucks. Will not know until riding season in April.

PC_Hater

Quote from: cpiccarr on February 25, 2020, 03:24:46 AM
Food for thought. I have a 2010 Road Glide suspension real disappointment. Replaced rear shocks with Ohlins  nice improvement. Now the front on a somewhat budget. I researched both Progressive springs and Race Tech emulators. Decided on Race Tech kit comes with springs and Emulators. Option you can review and ponder. Under 300 bucks. Will not know until riding season in April.
Race Tech emulators are great.
Their spring recommendations less so...
The spring their website recommends for my Road-Glide is not available from them.
After much thought I have Progressive Springs ready to go in.

I know RaceTech don't approve of progressive fork springs, but I honestly think he has never ridden an FL tourer with and without passenger and luggage.
If he had I cannot think why he would not recommend progressve springs. These are not Sports bikes but we do want them to work at least as well as a BMW!
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S