May 03, 2024, 02:03:44 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Want to make a pulley lock

Started by Ironheadmike, February 22, 2020, 09:05:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironheadmike

Is there any bike shops in the Minneapolis/St Paul area that would let me look at and take measurements of their transmission pulley locking tool ? I'll make them one as well for their time .

smoserx1

There are some instructions in the homemade tool section on how to make one dirt cheap.  Can't vouch for it but it looks like it might work ok.

Norton Commando

What bike and year model is the bike you want the tool for?

Mine fits a 2012 FLHTK and is made from mild steel: 1/4" thick by 1" wide by 5.9" long.

Jason
Remember, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.

kd

Quote from: Norton Commando on February 23, 2020, 06:08:13 AM
What bike and year model is the bike you want the tool for?

Mine fits a 2012 FLHTK and is made from mild steel: 1/4" thick by 1" wide by 5.9" long.

Jason

I could be wrong, but I think the OP wants a "Transmission Pulley" lock tool not a primary locking bar. 

Mike. check the tool section for some advise (more than an actual tool) that should help you.
KD

truck

Is this what you're looking for?
[attach=0]
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

kd

That's a primary locking tool. It engages with the "sprockets in the primary drive.  It does not lock the transmission pulley per say.  When the primary is removed, the transmission pulley is in the open and that tool does nothing to lock the pulley.

This is one example of what I think Mike is looking for.  There are several ways to do it. Having this particular tool is probably set for a 32 tooth ratio.  It may not work on a 30 or 31 tooth pulley.  That said, some other types will.  Google searching "Harley transmission locking tool" will give you an idea what is out there.

https://www.georges-garage.com/product/trans-sprocket-locking-tool/
KD

smoserx1

:agree:
Exactly.  And this is what you can supposedly make with a bolt and 2 large hose clamps per the homemade tools section.  I have the George's tool...it works great but I wish I had known about the homemade tool described here before i bought it.

Coyote

I've always just used an impact.  :nix:

PoorUB

I never needed the tool either, although it would make life a bit easier. I always drilled the nut and broke it off, and replaced the nut. To tighten, put the nut on and snug it up, put on the belt and adjust it and have someone stand on the rear brake pedal to hold the pulley.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

JW113

Once I used a large rubber strap wrench, cheapo version from HF. Worked fine.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Ironheadmike

i just ordered on up . Can I reuse all the parts IE; nut , ring and the small bolts ?

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Quote from: Ironheadmike on February 25, 2020, 06:06:37 AM
i just ordered on up . Can I reuse all the parts IE; nut , ring and the small bolts ?

Yes
Tom