April 24, 2024, 03:03:58 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Upgrade to hydraulic tensioner’s

Started by BigT, February 16, 2020, 09:17:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigT

A friend wants to upgrade his 2000 Twin Cam to hydraulic tensioners. I see H-D and S&S have pump and plate setups. Any setup better than others? I also see Andrews has a set up to use the newer chains drive but requires a special conversion cam. Any advise would be helpful.

Don D

Harleys hybrid kit is used by many. Updated pump, plate with hydra tensioners and you still use the older chain drive cams

PoorUB

I highly recommend using the "stock" '06+ cam plate and Andrews conversion cams, or some other brand if you prefer. Andrews 21 cams will work well in a stock 88".
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Which ever one you choose, if it's EFI, the 2000 has the eccentric on the Gear that signals the Cam Sensor. You'll have to use the existing or, Andrews has a Gear with it as well.

The Harley Kit is about $400. Which is about half of what it was originally. And, has an excellent reputation.
Tom

Don D

BigT

Looks like I also need an S&S ez start cam suggestions for this setup also.  Friend just bought this bike with no clue on previous motor work other than it's a 95".  I did a cranking compression test ....207 both holes.  Opened up cam chest and found 203 cams. Looks like 10.25 or 10.5:1 pistons were installed going by the cranking compression. Look like stock heads by the small exhaust port. Any suggestions? If it was up to me the heads would be getting ported but he doesn't have the cash.

smoserx1

I can think of three reasons to recommend conversion cams over the Harley "hybrid" kit, and no they are not because I did it (which I did) or I like Andrews products (which I do).  1.  The hybrid kit retains the inside silent chain, and although a hydraulic tensioner is used there have been reports of the tensioner still wearing faster than it should due to the non-rolling chain. Sort of makes sense. 2.  The hybrid kit still uses bearings in the cam plate.  Remember the fiasco Harley had with the rear ball cam bearing in the early twin cams?  Yes they replaced that with a roller but retained the front ball bearing, and there have been a few reports of that one failing too.  Maybe that is why in 07 (06 dyna) the cam plates lost the bearings altogether.  3.  The real 06/07 setup does not use plate bearings at all and thus no pressing is required.  That means anybody can do it, and is a great plus for a do-it your-selfer.  With the conversion cams, with the exception of the slightly smaller inside case bearings the setup is EXACTLY like the 06/07 one.

As far as reliability goes I have never formally taken statistics, but I know enough that the larger the sample size the better that data.  There are hundreds of thousands of 06/07 cam setups out there as Harley made them from 06 till the M8 came out.  The reliability has been very good.  By comparison there are a handful of hybrid setups and even if they have a good reputation IMO the data can't be as good since they aren't that many to study.  So unless I was totally strapped for money or insisted on reusing the cams I would go the conversion cam route.  There is absolutely no way I would buy new cams and get that hybrid setup.

BigT

I have used the conversion cam setup before. The only issue is the lack of cam selection. The engine is 95" stock 2000 year heads with high compression pistons. I need to find a cam with a max of .510 lift to bleed of some cranking compression.

hattitude

Quote from: BigT on February 17, 2020, 05:07:58 AM
I have used the conversion cam setup before. The only issue is the lack of cam selection. The engine is 95" stock 2000 year heads with high compression pistons. I need to find a cam with a max of .510 lift to bleed of some cranking compression.

I had the Screamin' Eagle 95" big bore kit in my 2003 Heritage EFI... It comes with the 10.5:1 pistons and SE203 cams... After a tune from Dyno Jet flashed with my PowerVision, the bike ran real well...

When I addressed the spring tensioner issue, I went with the HD '07+ cam plate/pump/hydraulic tensioners. I went with the Andrews 26N conversion cams (.490 lift) and the bike runs real well....

If you are dead set on .510 lift, Andrews has the 31N conversion cams that have .510 lift .

tdrglide

2000 twin cam. EFI or carb?
Heads are already off, I would install manual compression releases just to have. Andrews 37 might fit the bill also. I also like the idea of using 07 up cam plate and tensioners. Less moving parts (bearings). If using other than Andrews N or Woods cams, there is at least one shop out there who will grind down the end of the 07 up cams and press on a race to fit 99-06 inner cam bearings.

JW113

Quote from: smoserx1 on February 17, 2020, 04:17:07 AM
I can think of three reasons to recommend conversion cams over the Harley "hybrid" kit, and no they are not because I did it (which I did) or I like Andrews products (which I do).

I agree with that 100%, as one who also did the hybrid kit and then migrated to the '06 plate with conversion cams. I will mention that if you prefer some other cam grind to what Andrews and a few others offer as conversion cams, you can have any late model cam set made into a conversion cams. I did this with a set of SE-264 cams. I had Randy at Hyperformance do mine, but I'm sure there are a lot of other shops that will do it.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Don D

RTMike

BigT

The S&S 510 is not made with easy start. I called S&S

cheech

Quote from: BigT on March 31, 2020, 05:21:08 AM

Yep, appears 551 and up are only available in Easystart.

I need to find a cam with a max of .510 lift to bleed of some cranking compression.

Late closing intake be most effective to bleed off.
Hattitude mentioned the Andrews 31N, latest closing with .510 lift.
Edit: seen the 50N has a 2° later closing.

Quote from: cheech on March 31, 2020, 07:24:23 AM
Quote from: BigT on March 31, 2020, 05:21:08 AM

Yep, appears 551 and up are only available in Easystart.

I need to find a cam with a max of .510 lift to bleed of some cranking compression.

Late closing intake be most effective to bleed off.
Hattitude mentioned the Andrews 31N, latest closing with .510 lift.
Edit: seen the 50N has a 2° later closing.

Fueling 525 is bolt in for 00 and comes in a conversion cam 42* intake close.

Trev T

The late model cam plate with a set of conversion cams is always a winner. The 31N cam set would work well, better to find a NOS set of 44N cams with a close of 41. Never a popular cam for some reason, makes great power plus the 41 close and larger overlap will bleed off the right amount of comp.