April 18, 2024, 02:25:18 PM

News:

best cam for 03 ultra

Started by chas, August 08, 2020, 06:23:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chas

Hi-I'm about to install a new cam in my stock 03 ultra, I have it down to the woods tw-6 or S&S 509c. What are you thoughts guys?

Tommy D

Quote from: chas on August 08, 2020, 06:23:04 PM
Hi-I'm about to install a new cam in my stock 03 ultra, I have it down to the woods tw-6 or S&S 509c. What are you thoughts guys?

S&S 509 all day
Acts 4:12

wolf_59

tbird

rigidthumper

I agree, between those two, in a stock compression 88", the 509 will feel tons better.
The Andrews 21 is another good choice @ stock compression.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Hillside Motorcycle

An Andrews 21 would be used here.
Wood 6/6H is a great cam(s) at a higher compression ratio/increased cubes.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

safetyfifth

Are you sticking with the stock spring loaded tensioners or going conversion cams and a hydraulic cam plate?

Hillside Motorcycle

We use Cyco shoes, new inner bearings.
1/2 dozen of these type jobs in the last 3 weeks.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

chas

I have decided to go with a complete kit from S&S, using the 509c cam, hydraulic tentioners, plate, lifters, inner, outer bearings, push rods etc. Think i should replace the the inner, outer chains also? Bike has 61k

Hillside Motorcycle

The cam plate/pump is not needed,(wanted maybe, but not needed) unless you're OEM's are fubared.
That money could be used for a 98" config.  :chop:

PoorUB

I bet his thoughts are to go with the S&S TC3 cam plate and hydraulic tensioners and run the original chains.

Instead I would go with the '06+ OEM cam plate and conversion cams. Get rid of the silent chains too.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

sfmichael

Quote from: Hillside Motorcycle on August 21, 2020, 04:08:22 AM
The cam plate/pump is not needed,(wanted maybe, but not needed) unless you're OEM's are fubared.
That money could be used for a 98" config.
:chop:

:agree:  95" - 98" big bore will gain some nice torque

At 61K heads should be freshened up anyway...
Colorado Springs, CO.

chas

is the 509 still going to be a good cam in a 95 or 98 big bore?

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: chas on September 17, 2020, 06:10:29 PM
is the 509 still going to be a good cam in a 95 or 98 big bore?

It'll work.

Adam76

Quote from: PoorUB on August 21, 2020, 05:38:03 AM
I bet his thoughts are to go with the S&S TC3 cam plate and hydraulic tensioners and run the original chains.

Instead I would go with the '06+ OEM cam plate and conversion cams. Get rid of the silent chains too.
Hey,  can you please explain how the '06 dyna '07+ oem cam plate is different to fitting say the SE hydraulic set up
Is it just cost?
Do you have to use "conversion cams" when you do this mod? Or can you run any chain driven cams?

Just trying to understand the whole twin cam chain tensioner thing. Also, does crank runout also dictate which option you can go with?  Say if you have over .005" can you still install the S&S or  SE hydraulic set up?   
Thanks for any info.