March 28, 2024, 01:44:33 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

103 cams - again

Started by Finn, February 18, 2020, 06:00:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Finn

February 20, 2020, 10:16:08 PM #25 Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 10:20:52 PM by Finn
 :beer:

The decision making process is always so agonizing as you wish and hope that you have managed to gather enough information and advise to be able to make a decision.

And then you realize that there is a product you haven't considered at all. And the 'circus' starts over again.  :teeth:

Luckily I'm having this problem now only with:
- cams
- exhaust
- tyres

:cry:
-83 GS1000G | -84 GSX1100EF | -97 FLHR | -98 FLSTS | -16 Triumph Tiger Explorer XRT 1200

Hossamania

Tyres - nothing wrong with OEM.
Cams - do you need to beat your friends off the line to the next stoplight, or beat them at the 1/4 mile and top speed?
Exhaust - pick one based on the looks and sounds you like, within reason.
See? Easy!
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Finn

There are cams such as Andrews 57 and Cycle-Rama CR575 for which manufacturers/forums tend to recommend slight bump in compression ratio from stock when.

If I were to advance either cam with 4 degree sprocket is it so that it
- would move hp/tq to the left slightly?
- would remove the need of extra compression?
-83 GS1000G | -84 GSX1100EF | -97 FLHR | -98 FLSTS | -16 Triumph Tiger Explorer XRT 1200

Ohio HD

Just my opinion, I would stay within a 25 to 30 degree intake closing with a stock motor to insure decent compression.

Why not do something different? How about an Andrews 48 with 1.725 rockers?

[attach=0] 

Finn

Yes, around 30 degrees is my layman's goal. CR575 with 4 degree sprocket would have 31 intake closing and leave room for further modifications such as 110 kit.

I fear a set of rocker arms would unfortunately break my budget and I would prefer not to pull the heads for thin head gaskets.

This probably would be easy to solve by ordering a set of Andrews 48s but one tends to think too much...  :embarrassed:

Ohio HD

Buy what works now. You can always sell them when you want to go bigger in motor. I would do that before buying cams that may be a comprise on one or both side of pre and post performance upgrades.   

rigidthumper

Quote from: Finn on February 23, 2020, 10:30:58 AM
There are cams such as Andrews 57 and Cycle-Rama CR575 for which manufacturers/forums tend to recommend slight bump in compression ratio from stock when.

If I were to advance either cam with 4 degree sprocket is it so that it
- would move hp/tq to the left slightly?
- would remove the need of extra compression?
4° sprockets shift peaks 300-400 RPM from straight up.  + (advance) moves it to the left, - (retard) moves it to the right.  Remember, any advance/retard sprocket will change all the cam events; advances/retards the intake and also advances/retards the exhaust events. Opening and closing the intake valve sooner can increase the CCP, but it means the exhaust valve is opening/closing sooner, so blowdown pressure is increased, which means some of the pressure designed to push on the piston ( and help make horsepower) is now flowing out the pipe instead.
Sometimes (depending on the pipes) nullifying the expected changes
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Finn

Thanks guys for good pieces of advise, much appreciate it.  :beer:

Finn

Cycle-Rama CR570-2 it is.

Cams were on back order for a while but they got them early this week and just took my order. Which is nice.  :smile:

Quote from: Finn on March 25, 2020, 12:38:31 PM
Cycle-Rama CR570-2 it is.

Cams were on back order for a while but they got them early this week and just took my order. Which is nice.  :smile:

There are a few 110"s with that cam too... for when you just can't resist!!!!

Finn

Will keep that in mind. Just in case.  :teeth:

Tail Ridr

Quote from: SB107 on February 18, 2020, 11:51:12 AM
I took all of the dyno sheets from the Fuel Moto study, used a plot digitizer on the sheets to extract data, put them in excel, and analyzed them. (Yes I spent way too much time on it)
Being that FM did their test on a 2012, IIRC, It'd be curious as to how the H.O. cam interpolates in with these.
Eliminate the Imperfections of mass production!

Finn

As far as I can tell the 103HO cam specs are as follows:

For my layman's eyes that looks fairly decent but I decided to change cams nevertheless.

Finn

Well, the CR570-2 cams are still stuck in Miami and I wanted to do something so we did a Stage 1 on Thursday.

This has just S&S Stealth air cleaner and Supertrapp Supermeg. Tuning was done with Power Vision based on tune I received from Dynojet. This IMHO turned out quite nice with good early torque. Max tq is about 105 lb-ft.

Supertrapp has closed end cap and 25 discs. Nice rumble but not too much.

This is 6th gear pull.

Ohio HD

That chart is really off.

Finn

Torque is in Newton metres.

Armin

105 ft lbs, looks great.

Armin.
Nothing can ruin a Man's day faster than an Almost-Takeoff!

PoorUB

The 570-2 will get you 5, maybe 10 ftlbs and 10 HP, but the stage 1 and a decent tune is pretty satisfying over stock.

I did pipes mufflers and a tune on my 2016 Limited and it was surprising the difference in ridability. On roll ons it would walk away from a stock 2016 Limited. I wanted a bit more and tossed in a set of 570-2's.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

stogieluvr60

Another good choice is the V-Thunder TC-3101... they produce excellent results at a good price point. And you won't be running a cam a 1000 other guys are running if that matters at all.

PoorUB

There are alot of good cams, if you can get them. The OP is in finland, shipping sucks right now. It doesn't help to recommend another cam that he can not get!

Ohio HD

We get shipments daily from Italy and Austria, as well we ship items to them. Time to ship between USA and Europe hasn't changed.

PoorUB

For some reason his is held up.

Ohio HD

It's due to the shipper, not the shipping industry.

PoorUB

We receive and shop a lot of product every day. The shipping industry is a bit screwed up right now too. Shipments that we would get in 3-4 days take over a week. Overseas shipments have taken longer than normal. Perhaps you have a great shipping company, but shipping is far from normal whee i work.

As to the OP's shipment, something is probably screwed up. His order is probably sitting in a shipping container that someone forgot about! It happens! My dad worked for the railroad for 40 years. They would find boxcars full of freight that got "lost", sent down the wrong track, added to the wrong train and sent off into oblivion. They sit there until someone wonders why this odd boxcar is sitting there. Years back they ran across a refer car full of frozen dairy products that had run out of fuel for weeks, or maybe months. Rotten dairy was dripping out of the door and my dad said it stunk so bad you couldn't get close to it. I can't imagine someone having to clean out that mess! Tons of spoiled ice cream!

Ohio HD

We use UPS and DHL for overseas. We don't do anything special. This applies to small light weight shipments and large heavy shipments. Of course machinery is sent by a different carrier.

An order that leaves on a Wednesday, usually arrives on Friday or the next Monday. Our customers wouldn't stand for longer shipments.

[attach=0]