May 01, 2024, 03:12:51 PM

News:

Trouble shooting code P0374

Started by Bgill, March 03, 2020, 07:42:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bgill

2013 Flhtcuse8 15K miles, CVO 110 stock except pipes, AC, PV Tuner, 24D cam, SE quickie push rods, Johnson Hylift lifters. Has always run like a top no issues until yesterday....

When to start it to move it outside to detail and after starting I let the clutch out and it made a puff sound and stalled. Cranks but won't fire and run. So I started checking common things and so far the only code shown is P0374. Here's where I'm currently stuck at:
1. all fuses are good
2. changed the crank position sensor
3. changed plugs
4. checked connections... all look good
5. cleared error code and started
6. runs for a minute or two and stalls
7. again it cranks but won't fire and run
8. has fuel pressure at the disconnect
9. fuel pump cycles when you turn ignition on
10. checked fuel filter, pretty cruddy looking/ will replace tomorrow.
11. Battery is an Interstate FAGYZ32HL install date 8/1/16 always kept on a tender.
12. noted fuel sprays out of top of the fuel regulator when I was checking for leaks. (is this normal).
13. Code says Crank sensor sync error

After I replace the fuel filter, battery seems to be good but thinking maybe I should change it?  I live in Florida heat which is stifling in the garage in Summer and probably not good for battery life.

Anything else you guys would recommend I check or do to try and get this puppy back up and running smoothly?

Thank you for your input and guidance.

Pirsch Fire Wagon

There are several reasons a P0374 will show in the DTC List with which you describe.

To eliminate the CPK, using a DVOM set to A/C, crank engine for 10-15 seconds and observe voltage (2vdc minimum). No Voltage? Replace CPK (you've already done this. Check same at connections at the ECM. A/C Voltage present? Wiring is okay. Move on.

If you have eliminated the CPK, check the Fuel Pressure with a Test Gauge. More often than not, fuel pressure is lacking and require repair.

"noted fuel sprays out of top of the fuel regulator when I was checking for leaks. (is this normal)." No
Tom

Bgill

What would cause fuel to spray out the top of the regulator?

chaos901

Pirsch is good with the electrical (much better than me) and is giving you the right path to follow. 

What I suggest, is if you already have a H-D Service Manual for your bike, you also invest in the Electrical Service Manual for that bike.  Those have helped me a lot because not only does it explain about repairing the systems, it takes each of the Diagnostic Codes you can receive and provides a diagnostic tree of what and how to check.  Works for me anyway. 
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

chaos901

QuoteWhat would cause fuel to spray out the top of the regulator?

Possibly one of the plastic clips that holds it in place is broken.
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

Bgill

So far we've learned the ECM is bad and needs to be replaced.

Once that's done they'll proceed to see if there's anything else wrong beyond the ECM.

Going to be an interesting week ahead....