April 20, 2024, 09:36:39 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Head flow for 98”

Started by Johnwesley, February 25, 2020, 12:43:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doctorevil

Over the years i have been guilty sacrificing the left side. not as quick but damn those bikes were fast :teeth:

TorQuePimp

Quote from: HD Street Performance on March 16, 2020, 07:11:50 AM
Simple, velocity matters.
Cross section matters
Open the barn door too far and the flow bench loves it and rewards with big flow numbers but that is no guarantee of a build that actually will function well or tune easily.

Velocity is the key......airflow/raw numbers don't mean much

No Cents

what will wet flowing tell you that an air flow bench doesn't?
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: kd on March 16, 2020, 06:00:00 PM
Quote from: 1workinman on March 16, 2020, 05:36:19 PM
Quote from: Johnwesley on February 25, 2020, 07:02:10 PM
Could it be that if a head flows more air then you could get by with a smaller cam? Since the head could allow more air in to the cylinder you wouldn't need to keep the valve open as long to make power?
Not 100 percent certain but I heard that a really good set of heads can make a cam carry out further. Of course its the total package  .

But that would be at sacrifice to the left side and lower end torque.  It's torque that gets the load moving.  Here's a reasonable explanation of the relationship between Torque and horsepower and how they work together. I know it's about cages but the relationship is the same.

https://www.autogravity.com/autogravitas/cars/horsepower-vs-torque-getting-speed#important

Got to love that stuff for the folklore,  not for any reality.   

"Horsepower is torque measured over time and distance."  shows that the writer really don't understand or he is a really crappy writer.

TorQuePimp

Quote from: No Cents on March 17, 2020, 07:00:32 AM
  what will wet flowing tell you that an air flow bench doesn't?

Wet flow is a development tool

Used in developing the entire induction system

The port is basically painted white and a purple/ blue fluid is drawn or blown thru

Areas that are stained need enlarged or reshaped or both

Staining in the chamber also indicates different issues

There aren't many around and even fewer people who really know how to use one

Matt Chalmers took a TC head down to mondello when they were still in business and what a Harley head should be and what most are, are very different things

No Cents

you are correct John...I just wondered if anyone else knew what a wet flow bench would show you vs an air flow bench. I've read a few articles about Joe Mondello and all his testing he did with one. Joe was a man with vision. He found like you stated...when you add a dyed fluid into the mix, representing what the air and fuel mixture is actually doing...you end up with a totally different view than what an air flow bench shows you. It changed the whole ball game in what we think we knew. The ability to actually be able to see what is happening inside the intake and head ports is data that is useful to help make improvements in the needed areas. If you go into the top Nascar engine building shops...you will find a wet flow bench being used for testing and future design changes.
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

dirt1954

Joe started a head porting school in Pasa Robles, Ca. in the late 90's. His favorite was Olds 442 stuff-dabbled in HD. Later moved his shop to somewhere on the east coast-lost track of him. He had a good head for flow, and started some of the cutting edge technology. Glad to see some (Ray) still remember. I have not heard anything about Short Block Charlie, somewhere in Arizona I believe-another guy with good ideas-not given much credit.

SP33DY

Short Block Charlie posts some good info on You Tube. Search for charlie lawlor

Hossamania

He pops in here occasionally.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.