April 25, 2024, 05:54:39 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

stock ecm and tts question

Started by tqjunkie, February 26, 2020, 01:40:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tqjunkie

I have a stock ecm off of my 2007 touring bike (32534-05b) it has one of the first tts tuners married to it which is the black dongle.I switched the bike to a thundermax and have since sold the bike and still have the stock ecm and tts which I would like to sell.
I have read that the bike knows the original vin number of the ecm and a replacement ecm may not work unless you get a dealer flash so is this correct? I don't want to mislead any one if I sell it.

I would also like to know if this early edition of the tts tuner is still good for tuning a bike as I changed to a tmax 5 years ago and haven't kept up on it other than to know they have come out with several new updated tuners.

rigidthumper

You can still use that VCI, it's married to that ECM, to flash tunes, clear codes, record data, etc.
Differences between the black (old) and blue (new) VCIs;  the black units do not have on board memory for data logging, or map storage, so you must use a laptop for mobile data gathering, and keep a copy of the factory map and a copy of the tuned map on a flash drive.  On the blue units, there is enough memory to hold the original map, the tuned map, and an hours worth of data recording for V-Tune use.
The old TTS software ( version you likely used) didn't have protections, so the ECM could be over written by any dealer. The new software locks the map in the ECM, so you have to have the VCI that's married to that ECM to allow access to the map.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

tqjunkie

Thanks for the info,so just so I have this straight it should be okay for me to go ahead and sell this ecm and tts tuner as a unit and it should work fine on a potential buyers bike without having to do any dealer flash.

rigidthumper

Yes, as long as they don't care that the VIN memorized in the ECM doesn't match their bike.  If they have security module (TSSM), they will need to perform "password learn", procedure from the service manual.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

tqjunkie

98fxstc

Any blue TTS can be used for data logging to produce a new map which can then be flashed to the ecm with the black dongle.

remington007

The old TTS software ( version you likely used) didn't have protections, so the ECM could be over written by any dealer. The new software locks the map in the ECM, so you have to have the VCI that's married to that ECM to allow access to the map.
[/quote]
If bike was tuned with the black box with Mastertune version newer than V157 the ECM is locked. Mastertune does have a emergency unlock procedure on the website if needed.