April 25, 2024, 05:17:22 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

They Did It!

Started by Ohio HD, February 28, 2020, 06:47:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hattitude

Damn it.....!!!

I just saw this... I have my primary apart to put in a Vulcan 32 tooth solid engine sprocket in my S&S 124" Bagger....

I am seriously considering a change in course, and using this compensator instead... sounds like the best of both worlds..

I bought the Vulcan 32 tooth engine sprocket kit, that comes with different aftermarket primary chain tensioner, instead of a shoe added to the OEM tensioner.... I suspect it's not a total loss... as I could still use the aftermarket tensioner instead of a shoe....

What to do.... what to do... I guess it's only money... right...  :SM:

rigidthumper

Please provide us with a proper review after you install the DH unit.  :chop:
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

cbumdumb

Dark horse does the extra cushion in the M8 slack adjuster have anything to do with new clutch design ? It seems very intolerant to cold downshifts once primary is warm doesn't chirp as bad.

No Cents

I couldn't help myself...I ordered a 32 tooth Man-O-War comp today. I figured I'd put my stimulas money to good use.  :hyst: 
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

sfmichael

Quote from: No Cents on April 17, 2020, 03:19:44 PM
   I couldn't help myself...I ordered a 32 tooth Man-O-War comp today. I figured I'd put my stimulas money to good use.  :hyst:

:up: :hyst:
Colorado Springs, CO.

sfmichael

Quote from: Darkhorse on March 02, 2020, 09:13:40 AM
Guys,

A lot of 2 steps forward, then 1 back, then repeat with this product development, but this spring we had a large breakthrough with cushion composition and volume that resolved a issues we were having.  Also found that on some models it would induce a bit more clutch pack noise and a Rekluse clutch resolved that on my bike. I was fearful people would install with no remedy for any potential noise issue. 

We were not going to be satisfied until we could put 1 in a bike and you would forget it is installed (except NOT hearing clunk when you drop into 1st gear and the knocking sound you get with a wearing OEM compensator at low RPM).

I am most impressed with the -2 (32T sprocket) as it really works well for bikes that are not designated touring bikes doing 100MPH everywhere.  We have one in Tyger's bike and the whole bike is smooth and snappy, you can use 6th gear down to 60MPH and again forget it is installed!

Hope we can meet everyone's demands moving forward, we have a limited amount produced currently as we have 3 models.  A 32T & 34T for TwinCams and 34T for M8's.  We have in motors from stock applications to 124's at a conservative 135 RWHP with great feedback.  We have some longevity testing ongoing in southern states trying to determine longevity of cushions.  We are currently at 20k on a number of them with out degrading of cushions which is a great sign.  Either way, cushions are inexpensive to change and you do not have to pull the unit to replace, just pull the primary cover and faceplate and relplace.

Hope you all get an opportunity to try, please let me know your thoughts if you do!

John E Dahmer - Darkhorse Crankworks GM
john@darkhorsecrankworks.com

John, I am considering a Rekluse for a clutch upgrade on my bike. How do you like it?
Colorado Springs, CO.

hattitude

Quote from: rigidthumper on April 12, 2020, 11:59:29 AM
Please provide us with a proper review after you install the DH unit.  :chop:

Money was just too tight to shell out another $400 on top of the money I spent on the Vulcan Solid sprocket kit... I installed the 32T solid front engine sprocket..

If the solid doesn't feel right... I won't hesitate to replace it with the Man-O-War comp instead of putting the OEM back on....

The the two short rides I've taken since putting the 32T solid sprocket on have been really nice... I LOVE the gearing change and haven't felt any issues that make me feel I'll need to go back to a compensator.. so far...

jmorton10

I installed the 32T solid front engine sprocket..

I have been running that setup for a while now. I am very happy with it & see no reason whatever to go back to a compensator.

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

boggart

Just installed my 32T ManOWar this weekend.  Definitely a high quality product.  The fitment to the crank has much tighter tolerances than the stock compensator.  Love the gearing change below 65 mph, although at freeway speeds the new gear in addition to the 180/60 tire I run (14' Touring) may seem geared a little lower than I had originally thought.  6th gear is definitely more usable.  Shifting from N to first is definitely smoother, I don't notice an easier shift to N myself.  Don't love the chain noise on the adjuster shoe, but am hopeful that will tame down with some time.

MichaelSG

For those of you who have installed the Man o War did you use the same torque specs as the Harley compensator?  I had one installed went with the shorter crank bolt from Evo Industries torque to 180 ft lbs put in a new chain tensioner and still getting a lot of vibration from the primary.  Only at certain RPM's and changes under load.  I emailed John I am sure he will get back with me but just curious if anyone else has had the issue and what was the fix.  Thanks in advance.
2015 Street Glide SE 585 Cams/10.5.1 Pistons SE Heavy Breather Cobra Power Port

NHBagger

For those that have some miles on the install, do you notice any low rpm chain snatch or clattering? Currently running a Baker unit and it's noisy. Thinking I may need to change to a DH or a solid for my 14 Tri Glide.

NHBagger

jls 64

js

topcat3815

2500 miles on mine no noise very smooth

No Cents

I've had mine in for a few weeks now. First day it bedded in nicely and has been quiet ever since. Neutral is easy to find and I have had no strange noises coming from the primary. No complaints at all from me so far. It seems like an excellent product.
  I torqued mine down to 140 pounds like the instructions stated along with a new comp bolt.

No Cents

the instructions that came with my Darkhorse man-o-war comp.

[attach=0]

NHBagger

No recommended primary fluid on the instructions?

Ohio HD

I'm fairly certain the compensator itself doesn't even need lube. Other than the sprocket for the chain.

92flhtcu

We've installed at least 8 of them this season, a few growing pains with chain adjustments and a habitual "lugger" issue, all good. It's the only comp replacement we will use at our shop
Need a bigger garage

les

Quote from: 92flhtcu on July 16, 2020, 08:20:42 PM
We've installed at least 8 of them this season, a few growing pains with chain adjustments and a habitual "lugger" issue, all good. It's the only comp replacement we will use at our shop

On another thread I've been discussing replacing my clutch basket.  You just made me drop another five hundred bucks.  I hope you feel guilty.   :potstir:

NHBagger

Quote from: 92flhtcu on July 16, 2020, 08:20:42 PM
Need more info on the lugging.

les

Darkhorse is making an improvement to their comp.  I ordered one early this past week and got an email from Andrew saying he could not ship until Friday because they are making an improvement.

I deeply apologize that I don't know that the improvement is.

John D

Guys and Gals,

We did make a few changes - primarily out of necessity.  We had started out using a teflon coated / oil impregnated bushing in our sprocket that rotates on the hardened drive hub.  The company that manufactures the raw bushing failed to meet our qty needs and rather than wait potentially 6 months for our next supply we quickly started testing some other options.  We found an option that actually improved the stability of the sprocket, could hold a tighter tolerance and reduced some potential noises that some had experienced.  That bushing requires more oil supply than what our other original bushing needed. 

We designed & engineered a system that will provide better oil feed (and longevity) to any of our previous sprocket bushings AND we will be able to retrofit into any of the existing sprockets already sold when or if they need to be rebuilt.

The old saying "War is the mother of invention" is kind of what I equate to what we have going on in relationship to our Man O-War motorsprocket.  It has been very well received in the marketplace, making it hard to keep up with orders, then a supplier issue throws a curve and we resolved with an "in-house" manufacturable product to cut down on supply issues in the future and make a better product!

Now all of our outsourced pieces (cushions are only product we do not mfg) and processes (ion hardening) we need are sourced within an hour of our shop! 

Thank you all for your support and patience as we ramp up production of our Man O-War motorsprocket

John E Dahmer
Darkhorse Crankworks

misfitJason

Keep up the good work
2006 Dyna, Kraftech Evo Softail

yobtaf103

Slightly related, there is a high spec version of the stock comp ramps available, which will not break into pieces