March 29, 2024, 01:56:19 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

They Did It!

Started by Ohio HD, February 28, 2020, 06:47:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohio HD

Quote from: yobtaf103 on July 21, 2020, 05:54:06 AM
Slightly related, there is a high spec version of the stock comp ramps available, which will not break into pieces

Please start a desperate post regarding OEM compensator parts.

04 SE Deuce

Ohio is suggesting a separate post/thread...there is already plenty of desperate posts regarding the OEM comp.

Hossamania

The spell check to desperate did make me laugh!
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Rockout Rocker Products

www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

boggart

Quote from: NHBagger on June 27, 2020, 06:16:24 PM
For those that have some miles on the install, do you notice any low rpm chain snatch or clattering? Currently running a Baker unit and it's noisy. Thinking I may need to change to a DH or a solid for my 14 Tri Glide.

I did notice quite a bit of low rpm clattering.  I was living with it, but when the wife asked "what's that noise, it doesn't instill confidence that we won't be buying a new bike in Sturgis" (After having the bike be down for 2 months due to a broken valvespring) I ended up taking the ManOWar out and putting the stock comp back in.  Quiet as a churchmouse now comparatively.  The noise, and the high speed high RPMs on road trips were my deciding factors.  Loved the gearing at speeds below 70.

les

As mentioned in another thread, I recently installed the Darkhorse comp.  The drivetrain now has a more connected feel, like the bike should have had all along.  There is no down side that I can feel when riding, starting, or shutting the engine off.  I also like the installation much better.  Instead of having to fumble to install a bunch of pieces parts, including struggling to make sure springs don't slip out of place, the installation is painfully simple (spacer, sprocket, oil catcher washer).  Finally, instead of having to squish a spongy set of springs before you actually get to the point of loosening or tightening the comp bolt, it's like just a regular old bolt.  The bolt bottoms out solid and then you tighten to the 175 lbs.

I'm still chuckling at myself because when I first looked at it I wondered how I was going to align the oil holes of the sprocket with the oil washer catcher.  That was until I noticed the oil channel.

Very simple configuration.  More sensible.  Rebuildable.  Clean.  Cool.  Clever.

NHBagger

I jumped in and had the DH unit installed. Only got a few miles on it but I see what you mean about it feeling like more torque or maybe just tighter. The only noise I get is kind of a whirring sound. I still get a little backlash now and then but that may be my fault as it's so smooth and tight, I sometimes let the rpms drop to 2k or so. I don't think my cams like it there. Still need to put on some more miles.

Does anybody make a manual chain tensioner for the 32t sprocket setup?

scott7d

I am thinking about purchasing one of these units. Can someone explain the riding difference between the 32 and 34 units? Will dropping two teeth raise cruising RPM? I am a high mileage/long distance rider who is on the interstate frequently at 80+MPH. If cruising RPM would raise with the 32, I'd probably stick with the 34.

Thanks!
Scott Matlock - Bloomington, IN
Iron Butt Rider #72408 - Facebook: The Hoosier Cruiser

No Cents

the 32 tooth will raise the cruising rpm's compared to the 34 tooth
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

topcat3815

Vulcan engineering makes a 32 tooth sprocket chain tensioner, I have a 2014 flhtk  with the 32 tooth man of war sprocket and I really like the way it is geared now

Tireman

October 01, 2020, 03:40:57 AM #61 Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 05:19:56 AM by Tireman
Quote from: scott7d on September 30, 2020, 10:52:19 AM
I am thinking about purchasing one of these units. Can someone explain the riding difference between the 32 and 34 units? Will dropping two teeth raise cruising RPM? I am a high mileage/long distance rider who is on the interstate frequently at 80+MPH. If cruising RPM would raise with the 32, I'd probably stick with the 34.

Thanks!

I tour a lot too. I had the 32T Game Changer in my 09 Street Glide for only a couple rides it moved me up about 250-300 rpm so I took it out. I didn't care for it. Seems I shifted a lot more too. I t depends on how you ride I guess!
1984 FLHS 80" 57/61  2009 SG Mega Flo 124"152/154
2011 TG Mega Flo 117" 116/127

tolobill

hello, I am taking my 32T off this weekend and going back to stock compensator, with new parts and R&R inner primary, this thing was so noisy, couldn't stand it, read road glide forum several guys, complaining about clutch and transmission clatter.

BigT

Quote from: tolobill on October 01, 2020, 07:18:32 AM
hello, I am taking my 32T off this weekend and going back to stock compensator, with new parts and R&R inner primary, this thing was so noisy, couldn't stand it, read road glide forum several guys, complaining about clutch and transmission clatter.
Was it the 32 tooth Darkhorse compensator?

tolobill

yes, one other thing when you add there shoe to the existing tensioner, the angle of the chain going up is pretty significant.

jmorton10

Quote from: topcat3815 on October 01, 2020, 03:27:56 AM
Vulcan engineering makes a 32 tooth sprocket chain tensioner

Yeah this is the vulcan tensioner & 32T sprocket.

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

jmorton10

I have since gone to a 30 tooth engine sprocket.

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

xlfan

The verdicts seem a tad inconclusive, to say the least.

xlfan

Quote from: tolobill on October 01, 2020, 07:18:32 AM

Does that mean that they blame the DH front compensator for clutch and transmission glatter?

xlfan

October 21, 2020, 03:53:47 AM #69 Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 06:11:08 PM by FSG
Quote from: No Cents on July 07, 2020, 07:20:12 AM
  the instructions that came with my Darkhorse man-o-war comp.

[attach=0,msg1353901]

It doesn't say need for new alternator rotor, is the spring pack of stock rotor removable?