Evo Valve train in Shovel- What am I missing.

Started by cycocycle, March 01, 2020, 06:10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cycocycle

This dumbass bought what turned out to be a running (just) basket Shovel a while back. It's not original in any way so I'm just building myself a simple rigid bobber.
The motor got some cash spent on it in the distant past and is now a 93". When I pulled it down it had so much wrong with it I kind of put it to one side and lost interest. The other day I pulled the stock cam and lifters out of my evo and had a light bulb moment.  I could use the cam and lifters in the shovel.
My question is, if I got some evo tappet blocks and adjustable pushrods, what else do I need to do? Can I use the pushrod oiling to the stock rockers or should I plug the pushrods and stay with stock oiling?
Is there anything else I need to consider?
Keep in mind that this is a strict (no) budget build. This bike is third in the pecking order behind my two evos and it's only for Sunny Sunday bar hops. I dont mind if I dont get the maximum horsepower or efficiency out of it. I want it to start easy and run smoothly. As always any help or advice much appreciated. By the way it's the "N" grind cam from the evo.

Ohio HD

Shovel rocker ratio is 1.43, Evo is 1.6. You loose about 12% in lift and all valve events. Why not put a Shovel cam in there?     :nix:

A sunny Sunday bike would love solid lifters. Low budget, remember?

cycocycle

A shovel cam and solids may be low budget but an evo cam and lifters are no budget (I already have them).

kd

It's possible the no budget components will need a budget to get satisfactory results.   :nix:
KD

turboprop

Quote from: cycocycle on March 01, 2020, 06:48:20 AM
A shovel cam and solids may be low budget but an evo cam and lifters are no budget (I already have them).
IMO, this is not the best forum for this subject. As you can see, you will receive a bunch of responses from people that have not this, and only have speculation to offer. The Shovelhead forums many discussions about doing this by people that have done it many times. A local friend of mine has a shovel with an evo cam, lifter blocks and rocker arms. Seems to work well.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Ohio HD

Except he wants to use stock Shovel rockers. And yes I've used complete Evo valve train components in a Shovel in the past.

Burnout

I'd guess that a stock EVO cam will cause very high cranking compression and may ping.

High or low compression pistons? You might get away with it with low compression but it will be close.

The shovel rockers will work (I think the ratio is a touch lower) but they need the external oiling.
I don't think the EVO lifters will care about not oiling the rockers.
Evo rockers will give a performance boost with the added ratio.
May need to pay attention to valve to valve clearance and all the other usual stuff that comes with more lift.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

turboprop

Quote from: Ohio HD on March 01, 2020, 08:48:24 AM
Except he wants to use stock Shovel rockers. And yes I've used complete Evo valve train components in a Shovel in the past.

Not sure how the oem style shovel rockers would work with evo style lifters that send oil up through the pushrods. The shovel fanatics have this all sorted out.

As a side note, I have always wondered about building a shovel and updating as much of it as possible, blueprinting every bushing and bearing, electronic ignition, CV carb, etc. Would be built with the objective as making it reliable and noise free as possible. I have an old 81 FXWG frame with matching number engine and trans cases, but nothing else. There was a time when I could have completed this bike using stuff in my buddies garages and maybe $2,500. Now I am looking at a ROM of $15 to do it right. For that I could buy a couple of really clean Evo or TC bikes. And so it sets.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

cycocycle

I'm intending to replace every bearing and brushing. It will get a cv in place of the Super B and electronic ignition to replace the points. Parts,including used take offs are expensive here in Ireland because we have to get them in from the US. We dont have swap meets where parts are reasonably priced and you can haggle. Its e-bay all the way with new stuff coming from the local dealership or the big retailers online.

Ohio HD

The only real concern to me is the OEM Evo cam timing. Below is the N cam timing and the Shovel H grind timing. Using the Shovel rockers you'll end up with about 0.400" lift, which is fine The timing events will most likely effect the way the motor runs, and maybe not an improvement. Shovel Heads and Evo heads are far apart on flow and velocity.

The two I did years ago were using an Andrews EV-27 cam and an EV-3, and the Evo rocker arms shimmed to work in the Shovel rocker boxes. As well the Evo lifters and Evo adjustable push rods. The Shovel rocker oiling was plugged as it wasn't needed.

Using Evo lifters and plugging the push rods, is that an issue, I don't know. The only possible situation I can see is if the push rod tubes were to fill with oil and flow out into the rocker box. I have no idea if that would happen. The push rod against the lifter cup is probably not a 100% seal.

Cam wise, if the Shovel is an early '77 and down, the pinion gear on the crank should be changed to a late '77 up gear pitch to match the Evo cam.

Running wise, I guess you have nothing to loose by trying the stock Evo cam. Although I suspect it'll make poor power. But I wouldn't use a stock Shovel cam in a 93" motor either.

[attach=0]

kd

:scratch:  Back to my previous point, this is supposed to be a "no budget" job.  I'd say if you have to spend money, the easiest and least expensive may be to leave it as a shovel.   :nix:
KD

Ohio HD

Quote from: turboprop on March 01, 2020, 01:00:41 PM

Not sure how the oem style shovel rockers would work with evo style lifters that send oil up through the pushrods. The shovel fanatics have this all sorted out.

As a side note, I have always wondered about building a shovel and updating as much of it as possible, blueprinting every bushing and bearing, electronic ignition, CV carb, etc. Would be built with the objective as making it reliable and noise free as possible. I have an old 81 FXWG frame with matching number engine and trans cases, but nothing else. There was a time when I could have completed this bike using stuff in my buddies garages and maybe $2,500. Now I am looking at a ROM of $15 to do it right. For that I could buy a couple of really clean Evo or TC bikes. And so it sets.

You should keep an eye out for parts over time and put that together one day.

Here's my '80 FXWG, photo is from about '90 or '91.

[attach=0]

Racepres

Quote from: Ohio HD on March 02, 2020, 02:45:34 AM

[attach=0,msg1335505]
Love Them Pipes... Paughco's???

Ohio HD

Quote from: Racepres on March 02, 2020, 06:18:27 PM
Quote from: Ohio HD on March 02, 2020, 02:45:34 AM

[attach=0,msg1335505]
Love Them Pipes... Paughco's???

They were either Paughco or Cycle Shack.

Racepres

Thanks, Sure look like the old Paughcos, I Knew and Loved!!!!
I will locate another set like that someday!!!