April 19, 2024, 04:44:53 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

This is the noise I'm trying to diagnose

Started by Molly, March 03, 2020, 01:25:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Molly

Hi guys.

Sorry to hog the threads. Just want to know what I'm looking for before I begin a tear-down.

Found this video of an Evo making the exact same noise as my Shovel. You'll hear a noise rise and fall, rise and fall. This bike sounds very much like mine does when hot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP1ZYjpyvas

Various responses below the video itself but I thought that by posting it here I might get some insight from Shovel owners.

Thank you in advance.

kd

Sounds like rods to me.  BTW That 98 95th Anniversary  evo vintage was known for tight rods and it led to what you hear.
KD

Burnout

They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Ohio HD

And before you get that far, you'll see the lifters first. Check the rollers for damage.

david lee

Quote from: Ohio HD on March 04, 2020, 02:25:38 AM
And before you get that far, you'll see the lifters first. Check the rollers for damage.
that was my first thought too

Reddog74usa

With a noise like that you really don't need to diagnose it as your going to tear it down anyway. I agree that it is most likely rods as those years were known for it but it wouldn't hurt to check the compensator nut. Either way it's fun time....
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

hbkeith

Quote from: Reddog74usa on March 04, 2020, 08:53:34 PM
With a noise like that you really don't need to diagnose it as your going to tear it down anyway. I agree that it is most likely rods as those years were known for it but it wouldn't hurt to check the compensator nut. Either way it's fun time....
that kinda sounds like the noice my FXR was making last fall till I put Compensator Eliminater on it

Burnout

Check the oil filter before tearing down.
If it is an internal problem you will see it in the filter.
If it is a primary problem you should not see any metal in the filter.
(Unless it has run so long loose, it has ate up the double timken)
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

JW113

Not that I'm the forum police or anything, but did you mean to post this in the Shovelhead forum? Might get more opinion in the Evo forum. Just sayin'!

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Hossamania

Quote from: JW113 on March 05, 2020, 01:53:38 PM
Not that I'm the forum police or anything, but did you mean to post this in the Shovelhead forum? Might get more opinion in the Evo forum. Just sayin'!

-JW

I was confused too, I think the video is just used as an example of the noise on his Shovel, not his actual bike. Most of the suggestions, compensator, tight rods for that year, etc., don't apply to the actual problem being asked about.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

JW113

By the way, that doesn't sound like tappet noise to me. Valve train noise tends to be more of a high pitch "tick tick tick...". That sounds like a low pitched "knock knock knock...", and strange how it comes and goes with a rhythmic repetition. I'd lean to something int the bottom end.

-JW

JW113

Doh! Stupid me, did not read his post so closely.
:kick:

Sorry!

-JW

kd

Quote from: Hossamania on March 05, 2020, 01:58:25 PM

-JW

I was confused too, I think the video is just used as an example of the noise on his Shovel, not his actual bike. Most of the suggestions, compensator, tight rods for that year, etc., don't apply to the actual problem being asked about.

When I responded about the tight rods I was using it as an example also.  I have 2 98's and both were afflicted with the problem.  My comment was meant to mean the video is likely playing the tune a rod set plays because those 98's often did that. They had the good comp and as someone said, it would have to be loose.  If it was loose then you would feel it on take off or decel. I think the on again, off again cadence is a mild hunting issue that isn't quite audible as an rpm change except when the fuel hits it to speed it up the load on the rod makes the noise.  A fine tachometer measurement may show that there is a slight rpm change going up when the lnock sounds off too.
KD

hbkeith

Quote from: Hossamania on March 05, 2020, 01:58:25 PM

-JW

Problem being asked about is A noise

thumper 823

weird heads for shovelheads .......but I would guess in the valve train somewhere in there.
It should be rather simple to find.
D Troop 3/5, - C/16 ,162AHC, Mekong delta.
Rising from the Ashes  UHIH