April 24, 2024, 11:50:38 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Oil filter replacement

Started by bump, March 04, 2020, 03:05:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bump

I have the square oil tank with filter under cap on top of tank. The filter is in a cup with several seals and spring, fiber type filter all held together with a clip. Dealer says all the parts in cup are obsolete. My question is will the drop in filters with the spring on top and oring seal
replace the cup and all of that? 

crock

Crock

Racepres

Been using the "Perf-form" filter since I first discovered them... maybe 1986-88???
If they were a problem... I think I might know by now!!!!
Made in USA also!!!!!

bump

Thanks guys that is what I wanted to know.

RTMike

Perform filters are the way to go ,no problems here since they were introduced . :gob: :gob:

Geezer_Glider

All above answers are good but the dealer should have recommended Harley #62700055 that they sell for 10.95 I think they all come from the same place.
R Meyer

Racepres

Quote from: Geezer_Glider on March 04, 2020, 10:42:51 AM
All above answers are good but the dealer should have recommended Harley #62700055 that they sell for 10.95 I think they all come from the same place.
R Meyer
But I Know the Perf-Form is Made in the USA and I do Not know about the "others" I also Believe H-D Buys from the Lowest Bidder... No Thanks...

Buglet

Harley use to use Perf-Form but now they came from Taiwan.

Dan89flstc

March 04, 2020, 02:41:09 PM #9 Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 02:46:43 PM by Dan89flstc
Quote from: Racepres on March 04, 2020, 11:16:58 AM
I also Believe H-D Buys from the Lowest Bidder... No Thanks...

This is said all the time on internet forums (so it must be true), but does anyone outside of the MoCO really know what the criteria is when Harley buys parts?  :nix:

Their spin on filters are made in USA...

US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

Racepres

Quote from: Dan89flstc on March 04, 2020, 02:41:09 PM
Quote from: Racepres on March 04, 2020, 11:16:58 AM
I also Believe H-D Buys from the Lowest Bidder... No Thanks...

This is said all the time on internet forums (so it must be true), but does anyone outside of the MoCO really know what the criteria is when Harley buys parts?  :nix:

Their spin on filters are made in USA...

I did Not bid that contract... But I have heard that WIX did
this
Quote from: Buglet on March 04, 2020, 12:07:02 PM
  Harley use to use Perf-Form but now they came from Taiwan.
is the kind of stuff that I do Not want to Experiment with...
Wix, Perf-Form, ... even K&N... I like to Know where My Parts are Coming from... and get the same ones every time...

FSG

I wonder where the Milwaukee-Eight Engine - New Oil Filter is made

Reddog74usa

Just bought a filter for my Shovel at the local Harley Davidson Dealership a few days ago and right there on the label it is proudly displayed MADE IN TAIWAN right next to the H-D logo. They are making more stuff than we realize on the new bikes that is made in Taiwan. THEE only thing I have bought from them in a very long time are oil filters and now I'm done with that and will go with the perform filters as they are made in USA. Showroom was packed with bikes. Salesman said it's the most they have had in stock on the floor ever. :scratch:
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Dan89flstc

Quote from: FSG on March 04, 2020, 06:36:09 PM
I wonder where the Milwaukee-Eight Engine - New Oil Filter is made

Same part as the TC oil filter. The one on my shelf says Made in USA.

Note to those that use Wix 51215 Filters: they have been made in Mexico for several years, the TC/M8 filters are still made in USA.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

FSG

Dan yes BUT there is now a New Oil Filter for the M8's, I've not seen one but wondering what it is and where it's made

Buglet

K&N's are made in Taiwan, no K&N"s used here. Last I know the Harley T/C -M8 filters were made in SC. I don't know about were the new M8's are made.   

JW113

Just about every time I go to the dealer for a part that's not TC or M8, the guy behind the counter picks up the Drag Specialty catalog. It's not clear to me that HD makes ANYTHING anymore for the older iron, and if they do have a part like a filter in a HD box, it's likely just a repackaged aftermarket item. Knowing HD, the cheapest one they can find.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Burnout

What's an M8?     :scratch:

Izat one of them sprinklerheads?   

:fish:
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"