March 28, 2024, 11:59:09 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

18” laced rim in evo sportster?

Started by andyxlh, March 05, 2020, 01:25:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyxlh

Hello all,
Good to be back!
I'm starting a sportster cafe racer project, and would like to change out the rim on the rear for an 18", either 130 or 150 series tire.
Can anyone let me know if I can buy the correct rim and spokes for this job?
Cheers
Andy
Sydney
If you can't fix it with a hammer and a roll of Duck tape then you're in trouble

akjeff

'09 FLTR/120R/'91 XL1250 street tracker project/'07 DR-Z400S

andyxlh

If you can't fix it with a hammer and a roll of Duck tape then you're in trouble

akjeff

Just noticed that you were in Australia. The shipping will probably be a bit of a bummer. But, who knows maybe they have a rep/distributer in Oz? Good luck with your search.
'09 FLTR/120R/'91 XL1250 street tracker project/'07 DR-Z400S

PC_Hater

Storz Performance https://www.storzperf.com/
do a nice kit for converting your Sportster to a cafe racer - including the 18" rear wheel parts.
The floating rear brake setup is excellent by the way, had that on my 1999 1200S, must get around to doing the same on my 2000 1200S.

1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

andyxlh

Thanks again! I'm still sorting a pile of parts at the moment.
Plan so far is a cafe tail, small peanut tank as I have that already, clip ons and homemade rear sets and exhaust. Brown seat and grips, black most everything else

speedzter

Andy, Give Ash's Spoke wheels in QLD a call.
They can sort out and likely build anything you need.
A 17" would allow for a better tire choice.

FSG

andyxlh

Thanks guys. Indeed it is good to find a good wheel person! I'll check it out. I'm not sure that 17" would give the look I'm after, would it look much different to the 16" I have?

PC_Hater

Quote from: andyxlh on March 09, 2020, 03:10:52 AM
Thanks guys. Indeed it is good to find a good wheel person! I'll check it out. I'm not sure that 17" would give the look I'm after, would it look much different to the 16" I have?
Yes. 17" looks much nicer!
The worst bit will be widening the back end of the frame to take the wider 17" tyres. Even a 150 won't fit.
You can find the cutting and welding instructions easily on the interweb.
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

andyxlh

Already planning a cafe tail so that should not be an issue...

andyxlh

Ok, had to buy more fork tubes so finances say we stay with 16" for now