May 08, 2024, 01:14:39 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

2006 Injectors??

Started by dwjohnson, February 17, 2020, 06:19:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwjohnson

Just wondering about what injector fits this '06 FLSTN? Seems it may be the 27709-06,  3.91, is that correct? Are they referred to as any certain colored band?
Also is the -06A better enough to warrant buying if I must replace the injectors?
I am restoring to running condition, a bike that has been sitting about 5 yrs.  Entire in-tank pump assembly has been replaced. Cranks and runs well now except for idle, thinking the injectors may be suspect, judging from the condition I found the components inside the tank.
So that's why I'm asking about replacement injectors. Has anyone had experience with the very modest priced Herko Automotive Group injectors from down in Miami, FL.? Thanks!

q1svt

Where not a direct answer ...   If the motor runs okay and you are having issues at idle... Then the  injectors can be cleaned. The problem is the R&R of the injectors...  So, I would first try running a cleaner in the gas...  Now that's been said, millions are going to comment.   

Me I like Marvel Mystery Oil, it's available in most auto stores, Cleans & lubes, and cheaper than FI cleaner.  Just increase the label recommendation [A LITTLE] .

jm2c
Greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge.

dwjohnson

Thanks for the advice but Of course I've already tried a can of Berryman Chemtool. Didn't make a lot of difference yet.
Not too surprised after finding what I did in the tank and the tank components, the worst I've seen as far as contamination and deterioration. Think I'll try and find some take off stock injectors that someone maybe upsized and just swap them out.

Boe Cole

Didn't the moco have a recall on the 06 injectors and installed the A versions?  As i recall, they went to a 25 degree replacement injector.  Had 06 Sporty which was recalled for  the A injectors.
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

jls 64

Quote from: Boe Cole on February 19, 2020, 07:04:03 PM
Didn't the moco have a recall on the 06 injectors and installed the A versions?  As i recall, they went to a 25 degree replacement injector.  Had 06 Sporty which was recalled for  the A injectors.

Jup 27709-06A solved the cold stard issues
js

dwjohnson

ok guys, update and more advice needed please. Please see first post.
   The new injectors did not solve problem. I did replace the original -06A with another -06A injector.  Bike is still surging and sneezing at idle once warm,  does come and go a bit. But does it most of the time.
  Surely acts lean to me. Checked for intake leak but cannot detect one. Runs good going down hiway but acts up at a stop.
I did a fuel pressure test after new tank internals were replaced and found only 40psi. Called the manufacturer to question and got a strange reply. Said they had never had troubles or been questioned on pressure before but acted as though they didn't know Harley book called for 60psi. Also didn't seem to know what there pressure would or should be. (High Flow Fuel)
  Guess my question now is could the 40psi be my only problem and would it be from the parts I used or maybe a mishap I could have done possibly on install?

Hossamania

March 04, 2020, 12:49:40 PM #6 Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 01:06:13 PM by Hossamania
New stock plugs? Plug wires are good? Battery is fully charged and not suspect? Have you tried another gauge to double check yours, not that it would solve your issue, but it may keep you from chasing the wrong way. Tank vent not plugged? Good hiway running suggests it's ok. IAC has been thoroughly cleaned? Idle rpm is correct? Have you checked voltage at idle?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

remington007

40 lbs is low it should hold 60.

rigidthumper

It's a 4 Bar system, meaning it should hold 58-62 PSI at the injectors.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

dwjohnson

Yes, I too realize the 40lb is low,  but has anyone experienced the difference real world between 40 and 60? Does it give my symptoms?
  I only ask because would like to feel certain the pressure is my issue before I take the internals back out. A bit frustrating and they are all new components (which I know doesn't promise anything) Is it possible or logical that this low pressure would crank so well (cranks extremely fast and easy with the common fast idle while cold) and run down the road so well, even taking full throttle without missing at all? Riding again today, it seems more of an idle and low speed miss/skip
The spk plugs are new but NGK brand. Guessing coil and wires are ok (seems skipping is in intake tract to me, not exhaust tract) Brand new Deka battery, cleaned tank and vent while changing internals. I have not addressed IAC, not really familiar with it or checking voltage on it, any tips on that? I do have a second gauge, will double check. Thanks 

calif phil

I just repaired an 06 FLHX that would start and run fine but fall on it's face above 3000 rpm, checked fuel pressure and it was high 40's .  New pump cured it. 

Jamie Long

Quote from: dwjohnson on March 04, 2020, 04:47:55 PM
Yes, I too realize the 40lb is low,  but has anyone experienced the difference real world between 40 and 60? Does it give my symptoms?

You are missing about 28lbs fuel pressure, i'm surprised the bike will even take throttle as this would cause an extreme lean condition. If you truly have 40lbs of fuel pressure you need to stop right there and resolve it; this is your issue

dwjohnson

Roger, I hear that, Thanks.
Would a pressure problem be a fault of the pump or the regulator? Is there a way to determine which is faulty?

calif phil

I have seen a lot of regulator housings break on 2006 models, I would replace the pump, lines and regulator housing.  Trask makes a billet housing that will not crack like the OEM housing does. 

joe_lyons

Quote from: jls 64 on February 19, 2020, 07:08:07 PM
Quote from: Boe Cole on February 19, 2020, 07:04:03 PM

Jup 27709-06A solved the cold stard issues

Wait, what.  First year of FI for Sportster was 2007 and they use the EV1 Pico injectors.  The 06+ cable drive big twins throttlebodys use EV6.  The first year of the 06 throttlebodys used 8° injectors and they had issues with cold start and was cured with 25° spray pattern.
Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901

dwjohnson

Yes Phil, I had been told about the reg. housing being bad to break but this one was fine. And all the tank internals were replaced with new components. But as far as the upper rpm band, this bike runs great, even full throttle. That's what throwing me off as far as fuel pressure. I could see my 40 lbs not running up high but this bike runs better with more throttle and worse at idle and slighty off idle.
Anyone know what controls the pressure to be low, the regulator or the pump, I would guess the reg., correct?

PoorUB

Verify your fuel pressure gauge is accurate before you go too much farther.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

dwjohnson

Did try a second gauge, it shows 44 psi static and running. When the bike misses at idle, the gauge doesn't budge at all so I think I'll try a new IAC. Tried cleaning this one with no change. Just can't convince myself on the pressure being the issue at idle only and not under load or higher throttle positions. Hard to admit a new pump, filter, regulator and both hoses could be faulty pressure, although did use aftermarket parts???

PoorUB

Why not fix the obvious problem? The 40 PSI is not correct no matter if you find another issue or not.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Princess Butt

Did you check the IAC? They get gummed up and foul you idle and off idle performance.

If you changed from the narrow 8 degree injectors to 25 degree injectors, you should remap. The 8 degree injectors had cold start issues, but ran acceptable at operating temperature.
Shiny side up, rubber side down.

rigidthumper

Back to basics- system fuel flow is expected to be 4 Bar after the regulator (typically 58-62 PSI), but the pump usually puts 5 Bar to the regulator.
So the bike was calibrated (factory map) for 60 PSI fuel pressure, and the tables are purposely lean @ idle & cruise for EPA, but rich elsewhere for safety.
You now have approximately 1/3 less pressure, so the areas that were already lean are now 30% leaner, (which could be too lean to ignite properly), and the areas that were rich are now leaner, but still enough fuel to make acceptable performance.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

dwjohnson

Ok guys, time to man up and admit my fault !
After biting the bullet and swapping out the new Quantum regulator with the original Harley one that was removed, bike now has 60psi and runs perfect!       
   Imagine that right, my apologies to everyone that tried telling me earlier. Thank you for the persistence and no negative bashing.

Hossamania

I learned something very interesting in all this, that low pressure would cause low rpm problems, rather than high rpm problems. I never would have put that together, but having it explained makes perfect sense.
Congrats on staying with it and getting it going.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.