March 28, 2024, 03:11:52 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Oil pressure

Started by DYankee, March 08, 2020, 04:53:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DYankee

I just got a new engine in and fired it up. The bike was in a 50 degree shop when I got it started. I had an S&S TC3 in my old engine and the oil pressure was always well regulated. This engine has all Harley components.
I just rode it for a couple blocks because it is raining out, but the oil pressure only went down to about 55 psi at idle after the ride.
Would anyone be concerned about it being too high. The dipstick thermometer said the oil was 94 degrees when I got back.
Double Dark 13 Ultra Limited
11 Wide Glide

kd

Have you confirmed the Guage against another known good one?
KD

DYankee

It was always reasonable with the old motor and the S&S oil pump.

One other thing I just did was put an Ultracool fan assisted oil cooler, but I can't see how that would cause problems.
11 Wide Glide

FSG

QuoteOne other thing I just did was put an Ultracool fan assisted oil cooler, but I can't see how that would cause problems.

take it out / bypass it to see what the pressure is, after confirming the gauge to be good

Admiral Akbar

smoserx1

Did you transfer the sending unit from the old engine to the new one or is the new engine using its own sending unit?  Several years ago I added the extra gauge kit to my FLHT and the oil pressure would normally read maybe 20 at idle and 40 or so going down the road (the gauge only has 0, 32 and 60 on it).  For the last 6 months or so it reads much higher and I believe the sending unit has gone south.  Check it with a mechanical gauge, replace the sending unit or don't worry about it.  I wish now I hadn't installed that kit.

Geezer_Glider

As said above, don't worry about it. It was 50° and wet, never got warm.
R Meyer

DYankee

It is the old sending unit.
I rode it for about 3 miles today and once it got warm the idle pressure got down to about 32. Once it was warm it was about 45 PSI at 3000 RPM.

I think I was just being paranoid.

Thanks for all the responses.
11 Wide Glide

Boe Cole

Quote from: DYankee on March 09, 2020, 06:43:57 PM

I think I was just being paranoid.

Bikes can do that to you!!!
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.