April 18, 2024, 04:56:20 PM

News:

My timing stock timing sensor bled out

Started by Dave99flsts, March 10, 2020, 07:45:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave99flsts

What is a decent replacement for the stock ignition sensor that is plug n play 99 Evo springer

jamminhd2000

I have always used the crane hi-4n....never a problem...easy to install...I think s&s makes em now....jimmy

Burnout

Quote from: Dave99flsts on March 10, 2020, 07:45:54 AM
What is a decent replacement for the stock ignition sensor that is plug n play 99 Evo springer

Just get a new sensor from Drag or the Stealership.
Way cheaper and no re-wiring needed.
An aftermarket ignition only pays for itself if you have severely modified your motor.
My best running EVo has a factory ignition with a police module for the raised redline, it's never missed a beat.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

xlfan

It doesn't get more plug'n'play than what Burnout said.

cheech

Quote from: xlfan on March 10, 2020, 01:29:31 PM
Quote from: Burnout on March 10, 2020, 10:21:24 AM

An aftermarket ignition only pays for itself if you have severely modified your motor.
My best running EVo has a factory ignition with a police module for the raised redline, it's never missed a beat.

What these guys said, no sense hacking up what works if not needed. OEM from the dealer or Standard Ignition products make some that Drag sells. That brand used to mean quality in the automotive  world. Haven't used any to vouch for them myself.

Racepres

Quote from: cheech on March 10, 2020, 02:55:02 PM

What these guys said, no sense hacking up what works if not needed. OEM from the dealer or Standard Ignition products make some that Drag sells. That brand used to mean quality in the automotive  world. Haven't used any to vouch for them myself.

Gimme OE every time... already lasted ???? How many years?????
BTW When the Module takes a "Potty mouth"... Get an XL module and have ya some more Fun

screem

Quote from: Racepres on March 10, 2020, 06:16:53 PM
Quote from: cheech on March 10, 2020, 02:55:02 PM

Gimme OE every time... already lasted ???? How many years?????
BTW When the Module takes a "Potty mouth"... Get an XL module and have ya some more Fun

What was said above  :up: stock sensor, easy to replace. I just did one a couple months back, removed the cover, scribed the timing plate and reinstalled, simple without having to re-time bike... and by all means if you can find and old S.E. ignition module or a sportster ignition module, will raise redline and the curve is slightly more agressive

xlfan

Anyone have an ignition curve layout for the 883 and the 1200 XL modules?

guppymech

Quote from: xlfan on March 12, 2020, 03:53:42 AM
Anyone have an ignition curve layout for the 883 and the 1200 XL modules?

Have a look through this google books excerpt, there's a few subjects on the ign modules and if you scroll down a ways there's a appendix with some of the more common curves layed out numerically.

https://books.google.com/books?id=NOOQjPWkBy4C&pg=PA209&lpg=PA209&dq=XL+883+ignition+curve+101+harley+performance+projects&source=bl&ots=-u5W6uXOIA&sig=ACfU3U2Jki0u0neUcP2DxiBAk8e33Y58Ng&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwinscjms5XoAhWNVs0KHbocCwwQ6AEwEnoECAgQAQ#v=onepage&q=XL%20883%20ignition%20curve%20101%20harley%20performance%20projects&f=false
'84 FXE, '02 883R

Burnout

March 12, 2020, 06:58:08 PM #10 Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 08:28:47 PM by Burnout
Crank it up til it pings and back it off until it quits then a little bit more for a bad tank of fuel.

Mine would tinkle (sounded like valve noise) at light throttle around 35-40mph because of the VOES, had to take just a touch more out.
Haven't touched it in 15 years.

I had never experienced part throttle detonation before this, and it took me a bit to realize that valve noise does not change with load. The "valve noise" went away by just slightly retarding the spark.
I could have messed with the vacuum setting on the switch but I did not want it to come out of VOES earlier, slightly less spark was the better choice as I probably already had too much advance. (I'll check it next time it's on the lift.) I'm guessing the advance is pretty high as hot starts can be testy (it's still at stock compression, I never milled the heads)
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

kd

:up:  No matter what ignition I used (including magneto) that's exactly how I set my timing. You get the max safe advance for your type / style of riding.
KD