April 23, 2024, 10:40:59 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Service bulletin for Milwaukee Eight oil filter

Started by Durwood, March 11, 2020, 11:44:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Durwood

Added 25% more filter media and retained the 5 micron rating.
[attach=0]

No Cents

nice to see the MoCo coming out with an improved part.   :wink:
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Pirsch Fire Wagon

We did the math on the filter the other day - it's like a 13% increase in volume / media. No where near 25%. And, the port and valve has not changed. how's it gonna provide more flow? Inquiring minds want to know. If you don't take a good look at one next to the standard one closely, you can't see the difference in size.
Tom

Buglet

FSG

external dims show a 14% increase in Volume,

what are the dims of the filtering media inside .....  ?,

so until someone cuts one open and measures it remains an unknown

Coyote

Quote from: FSG on March 11, 2020, 03:31:29 PM
external dims show a 14% increase in Volume,

what are the dims of the filtering media inside .....  ?,

so until someone cuts one open and measures it remains an unknown

Considering there's a fixed amount of non-filtering area inside the filter, that 14% volume increase may well give them 25% more filter area.

FSG

rbabos

Quote from: Pirsch Fire Wagon on March 11, 2020, 02:51:54 PM
We did the math on the filter the other day - it's like a 13% increase in volume / media. No where near 25%. And, the port and valve has not changed. how's it gonna provide more flow? Inquiring minds want to know. If you don't take a good look at one next to the standard one closely, you can't see the difference in size.
It won't plug up as fast between oil changes. I've found that running an oil pressure gauge post filter that sucker is starting to drop psi in as little a 2500 miles. The K&N never showed a drop even at 5k, but it was 10 micron. Besides, MoCo rarely does anything like that for the hell of it. There is a reason. More media, more safe operational time between oil changes. Side benefit of more media is a bit more flow.
Ron

No Cents

Quote from: rbabos on March 11, 2020, 04:25:24 PM
It won't plug up as fast between oil changes. I've found that running an oil pressure gauge post filter that sucker is starting to drop psi in as little a 2500 miles. The K&N never showed a drop even at 5k, but it was 10 micron. Besides, MoCo rarely does anything like that for the hell of it. There is a reason. More media, more safe operational time between oil changes. Side benefit of more media is a bit more flow.
Ron

exactly my thinking. There has to be a reason why...they just aren't telling.   :wink:
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

PoorUB

Quote from: rbabos on March 11, 2020, 04:25:24 PMBesides, MoCo rarely does anything like that for the hell of it. There is a reason. More media, more safe operational time between oil changes. Side benefit of more media is a bit more flow.
Ron

Probably so they can increase the price and delete the old filter. Costs them another 5 cents to build, sell to the dealers for $2 more.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Buglet

It's probably going to be imported as well.

r0de_runr

They probably changed their supplier, and their supplier had a few million of these on hand.  Just run them through the printing machine to apply the logo and poof!
Teach your son to ride, shoot and always speak the truth.

IronButt70

No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

calif phil

Recently I had a chat with a rep from a major oil filter manufacturer.   He said HD's twin cam filter was very good and that theirs was as good . He went on to say the HD EVO filter was horrible and their replacement was superior. 

Remember the old really long Evo Dyna filters? 

Buglet

I think the main reason Harley with the short filters on the TC was the crank sensor. The M-8's are not in the way anymore so now they can make the filters longer. I still use the long EVO's filters on the EVO's and some XL's. Harley still has them still made in the USA. Did he say why the EVO's filters were bad. I being using them for the last 29 years no problems yet.

Jobie

HD came out with another oil pump in late 2019 for the 2020 models and to retrofit all M8's as needed to combat oil sumping by using an 8 lobe pump for better scavenging.  Are they already having issues with their new pump?  Wouldn't surprise me, it's only Harley's 9th try on a pump to fix the design flaws of the M8's.  Sorry, have little to no faith in Harley any longer.  One would think that after 117 years they could build a VTwin engine [ their bread and butter engine ] without all these issues.  Maybe they should outsource their engines to a small engine manufacturer located in Wisconsin.  They can get it right, at least most of the time and still American made.

calif phil

Quote from: Buglet on March 12, 2020, 10:14:42 AM
   I think the main reason Harley with the short filters on the TC was the crank sensor. The M-8's are not in the way anymore so now they can make the filters longer. I still use the long EVO's filters on the EVO's and some XL's. Harley still has them still made in the USA. Did he say why the EVO's filters were bad. I being using them for the last 29 years no problems yet.

I also have been using them for years and never an issue.  He said real cheap internals that are not up to today's standards.   :idunno:   He seemed genuine in his statements and it didn't seem like a salesman spewing buy my product BS

To The Max

Hi guys, im pretty sure i read some where that the 8 lobe pump also had more volume, that being correct i think they would also need to make sure the filter could keep up with that flow as it got close to the end of it's service life . therefore the need for more filter media surface area. Max

wfolarry

Quote from: calif phil on March 13, 2020, 09:12:27 AM
Quote from: Buglet on March 12, 2020, 10:14:42 AM

I also have been using them for years and never an issue.  He said real cheap internals that are not up to today's standards.   :idunno:   He seemed genuine in his statements and it didn't seem like a salesman spewing buy my product BS

Don't forget the Evo filter is on the return side.

Jobie

Quote from: To The Max on March 13, 2020, 03:21:10 PM
Hi guys, im pretty sure i read some where that the 8 lobe pump also had more volume, that being correct i think they would also need to make sure the filter could keep up with that flow as it got close to the end of it's service life . therefore the need for more filter media surface area. Max

We have a winner!

PoorUB

Why would HD build a larger pump on the supply side when they have had sumping issues?
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

To The Max

Quote from: PoorUB on March 14, 2020, 06:31:05 PM
Why would HD build a larger pump on the supply side when they have had sumping issues?
Yep your dead right , i went back to the post that Joe Lyons put up and it seems i miss read it and then let my keyboard to the talking . sorry guy's this is just fake news. the pressure side remains the same but i will stick to my thoughts on the reason to have more filter media :bf:

sandrooney

Does it really make any difference why they changed it? You gotta buy a filter anyway so why not just buy the longer one?
Patience is such a waste of time .

Dan89flstc

We did the math on the filter the other day - it's like a 13% increase in volume / media. No where near 25%. 

The can length may have only increased 13 percent, but remember, the filter media does not run the full length of the can.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

yobtaf103

They made filter capacity larger to make up for the HD tech's that overfill :smiled: