Service bulletin for Milwaukee Eight oil filter

Started by Durwood, March 11, 2020, 11:44:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: Buglet on March 12, 2020, 10:14:42 AM
   I think the main reason Harley with the short filters on the TC was the crank sensor. The M-8's are not in the way anymore so now they can make the filters longer. I still use the long EVO's filters on the EVO's and some XL's. Harley still has them still made in the USA. Did he say why the EVO's filters were bad. I being using them for the last 29 years no problems yet.

Agreed. :up:
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Here is the "unofficial" "Official" reason for the change.

Discussed this with the a very good friend at the "Mothership" - This was done to meed the E.P.A. Requirement of "Capacities". That's ALL HE SAID HE COULD SAY.

He wouldn't go into ANY detail other than

1. They "had to do it". and
2. and it won't fit the TC Motors because of the CKP.

That is all
Tom

rbabos

So, when would the EPA want more of anything? In this case more oil. Sounds like a bs answer to me.

Ron

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Quote from: rbabos on March 19, 2020, 01:25:53 PM
So, when would the EPA want more of anything? In this case more oil. Sounds like a bs answer to me.

Ron

His answers arn't BS as you say.

I've known him for almost 23 years. He's ALWAYS given me spot-on information.

Just because I can't share it here (I do have a Job), doesn't mean he's spreading BS. I understand 100% of what he's saying. Why don't you check the Capasity Listed in your Manual, then compare what it holds when you service it (wet) and see what you come up with. Then look at the difference, then compare it to what the new filter holds - Do the math.

You have no idea whatsoever how far the EPA is up the rear of H-D. Here is another one you can look for..... No more M8 shortly.............. It's in development and will be in the Market in eighteen months or less. That's how far the EPA is up their six. Take it to the Bank!
Tom

sandrooney

Are you saying that they are not going to make the M8 anymore? If so where did you get that info?
Patience is such a waste of time .

rbabos

Quote from: Pirsch Fire Wagon on March 19, 2020, 07:23:05 PM

Ron

Just because I can't share it here (I do have a Job), doesn't mean he's spreading BS. I understand 100% of what he's saying. Why don't you check the Capasity Listed in your Manual, then compare what it holds when you service it (wet) and see what you come up with. Then look at the difference, then compare it to what the new filter holds - Do the math.

You have no idea whatsoever how far the EPA is up the rear of H-D. Here is another one you can look for..... No more M8 shortly.............. It's in development and will be in the Market in eighteen months or less. That's how far the EPA is up their six. Take it to the Bank!
Thank you for the MORE input on the subject however the filter update still sounds silly, regardless of reasons.
Ron

TXChop

Ron

Being i work in the corporate offices of another major m/c manufacturer i am questioning this.

My guess is the engineers have seen some early failures for whatever reason. They probably decided that
stuffing in more filter media may "fix" the issue during the warranty period.
If the oil capacity was off, they could/should provide a new dipstick or issue a revised manual with the proper quantities.

Another reason could be the contract expired with the filter manufacturer and the new manufacture and HD may have made an agreement and the filter .

Nastytls

Ron

So they spent untold money to develop the M8 and will only have it around for a few yrs? An engine when left stock meets all EPA requirements. They then spent even more money and developed this new 131", again, meeting all EPA requirements when left stock. Now they're going to ditch it? Makes no sense for a company that is struggling badly and will be even more so with this current Pandemic.

cheech

Quote from: Nastytls on March 20, 2020, 12:53:07 PM

So they spent untold money to develop the M8 and will only have it around for a few yrs? An engine when left stock meets all EPA requirements. They then spent even more money and developed this new 131", again, meeting all EPA requirements when left stock. Now they're going to ditch it? Makes no sense for a company that is struggling badly and will be even more so with this current Pandemic.
You beat me to it!  :wtf: Harley has historically, starting with the Knuckle, (didn't consider anything prior) maintained a engine line between 12 and a whopping 19 years for the Shovel. ( counting 84 for those fleet sales)
Long Live the Shovel :chop:
And all of a sudden they're going to abandon the M8 after a 5 and a half year production run given the "18 months" whatever is coming about???
With all due respect I have to verify the funds before I take any of that to the bank.

sandrooney

More internet gossip. I don't believe there is any chance of that being true. He didn't say in what capacity his friend worked at the "mothership", could be the janitor.

Tail Ridr

And then as Paul Harvey would say..."Stay Tuned for News" then in 18 months it'll be..."Now you know the Rest of the Story"
Eliminate the Imperfections of mass production!

kd

Well the rumor mill has turned out this design.  :wink: It is said to be an upgrade to allow higher RPM.  Even if it's only introduced to the Sportster unit engine that it seems to be suited for (and at this point has no 4 valve offering), it would be enough of a redesign to call it a "new engine".    Remember that some of the previous new engine designs were only heads (and in some cases barrels due to bolt pattern).

There seems to be a Softail image out there of one but maybe that's a sporty platform with a new suspension. There, I stated a new rumor about Sportsters.

https://www.motorcycle.com/mini-features/patent-filing-reveals-new-harley-davidson-pushrod-engine-design.html
KD

rbabos

Nothing really earth shattering new in this design. Maybe for HD but it's been around in that form for many years in other engines.
Ron

kd

Quote from: rbabos on March 21, 2020, 07:23:15 AM
Nothing really earth shattering new in this design. Maybe for HD but it's been around in that form for many years in other engines.
Ron

To many, that would be a new engine design. Remember that the 69 shovel heads and barrels (1970 up had the crankcase and chg'ing system change) were almost all that was different to the 36 knucklehead engine.  That's 3 so called new engine designs in a 33 year span that were only to the top end. 
KD

hulkss

Quote from: sandrooney on March 20, 2020, 04:23:42 PM
More internet gossip. I don't believe there is any chance of that being true. He didn't say in what capacity his friend worked at the "mothership", could be the janitor.

What's this direct injected engine?

[attach=0]

cheech

Quote from: kd on March 21, 2020, 07:59:29 AM

To many, that would be a new engine design. Remember that the 69 shovel heads and barrels (1970 up had the crankcase and chg'ing system change) were almost all that was different to the 36 knucklehead engine.  That's 3 so called new engine designs in a 33 year span that were only to the top end.
Along with that. It'll come to me where I read it, either a article or book. But one of the engineers involved with the Evolution pretty much scoffed at it being called Evolution.
Because he said all they did was redesign the top end on the Shovel. :idunno:

FSG

sandrooney

My M8 is awesome. Not one motor or oil related issue. I had a noisy belt which I fixed and a leaking vapor valve fixed under warranty, other that it's been a great bike.

Jobie

Quote from: sandrooney on March 24, 2020, 04:00:06 AM
My M8 is awesome. Not one motor or oil related issue. I had a noisy belt which I fixed and a leaking vapor valve fixed under warranty, other that it's been a great bike.
That's totally opposite of my experience with a still oil migrating tranny [ to be fair not as much w/vent installed, but still no oil on the dip stick at 2,500 miles. Use to be 10oz at 300-500 miles. HD and dealer calls it fixed ] and maybe still sumping 2018 STOCK M8.  This bike has had the last 2 oil pumps Hd put out so I don't know if this latest and greatest sump pump is going to solve this M8's sumping issue.  Warranty over on 2 - 2020.  But like Harley, this forum doesn't want to hear an unsatisfied costumers opinion with 54 years of HD experience.   That's why they delete post at their discretion.  I'm sure that this post or I will be next for deletion but you will never delete the Harley Image I bought for 30K.  Only I can delete that.  To think, all that being said and not one, what did you call it, POTTY MOUTH!  Now that's funny "Potty mouth".

les

Ron

H-D better do something because the Indian Challenger makes my RK look like a piece of s#!t, and I'm going to buy one when the 2021 models come out.  Yes, I'll still keep my 124" as my hot rod.

Bagger

Can the new M8 filter be used on Twin Cams that don't have CKP interference.  For example I'm running a relocated oil filter on my front left down tube.

rbabos

Quote from: Bagger on May 15, 2020, 10:06:55 AM
Can the new M8 filter be used on Twin Cams that don't have CKP interference.  For example I'm running a relocated oil filter on my front left down tube.
Sure.
Ron

IronButt70

Quote from: les on May 08, 2020, 09:57:39 AM

Ron

H-D better do something because the Indian Challenger makes my RK look like a piece of s#!t, and I'm going to buy one when the 2021 models come out.  Yes, I'll still keep my 124" as my hot rod.
If your looking at a Challenger for long distance riding you might be disappointed. I test rode one for about an hour. The ergonomics for me were awful. Would take expensive  seat and handlebar mods at the very least for me.  Of course YMMV.
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

Nastytls

Quote from: IronButt70 on May 15, 2020, 11:36:40 AM
Quote from: les on May 08, 2020, 09:57:39 AM

Ron

If your looking at a Challenger for long distance riding you might be disappointed. I test rode one for about an hour. The ergonomics for me were awful. Would take expensive  seat and handlebar mods at the very least for me.  Of course YMMV.

Kind of like the very expensive mods I had to make to get my Road Glide comfortable.... The HD Bars and seat are terrible and floorboards are only a little better but still need adjustment/replacement for larger ones. Not sure how many people actually leave that stuff stock anyway, but it's certainly isn't a reason to avoid buying any bike.