May 04, 2024, 08:46:54 PM

News:

Wheel Bearing adapter install

Started by Skin, March 06, 2020, 12:01:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skin

I've got a set of wheel bearing adapters to go from 25mm bearings to a 3/4" axle. Somebody has had to install these and not sure about the direction and what else is involved with installing these things. I've got a press and wheel bearing install tool but the adapters didn't come with any instructions. Thanks for the help.

doctorevil

a LOT of missing info you did not give us much to work with here. with that said are you sure you cannot fit the deeper 21mm 3/4 bearings in the wheels? I reluctantly installed a set of vulcan mfg adapters a couple of years ago. adapters came up short of necessary width. cut custom size spacers time consuming not again. Do not know if they changed the thickness of the shoulder. If the shoulder was thicker it would be easy to turn them down on the lath than cut wheel spacers for this narrow glide.

HarleyCharley

Slip them in the bearing bore from the outside and install the wheel and axle. You might have to take a little off the spacers but I doubt it.

charley

Mule

They make conversion bearings to go from 25mm to 3/4" axle, I used them on the Harley smoothie wheel I installed on my chopper, I used one of the conversion adapters in the bearing on the cush drive pulley, it just pushed in with the lip to the out side...

Skin

Yes there is info missing. Here's the scoop. I'm working on a 2007 Fatboy that the pulley bolts backed out and destroyed the wheel. It's just like the one in the pic but I couldn't get any measurements but the bike has a 3/4" axle. The wheel pictured didn't come on the market until 2008, when they changed to the 25mm axle. I bought the 3/4' sealed bearings thinking that's what was installed but one bearing sticks out of the bearing race by about a 1/4" or so. Then I bought the 25mm bearings and the bearing spacer kit and that's working out to be a pain in the ass for spacing. Ideally would be to have the correct bearings if someone has any ideas for part numbers with the info I've given it would be greatly appreciated.

doctorevil

yea that pretty much sums it up. everybody thinks it is as easy as just stick them in the bearing. the 08 wheel fits the frame change in 08 and rear fork. I wish it was a dyna just swap axles. sorry I dont know if the 08 axle will fit the 07 fork. I do not do softails only club bikes . hopefully someone will chime in and help.

roadkingdresser

I put a 2010 wheel on a 2006 both r-kings. measure the old wheel from one end to the other -outside of bearing and set the new wheel up the same. put it in the swing arm with the rotor and pulley. if it all lines up you shouldn't have a problem. I'm pretty sure i used the spacer from the old wheel.
roadkingdresser

doctorevil

i am interested road king what axle size in the 06 since the bearings in both wheels are different width and inside dimension ?

roadkingdresser

well i'd have to check the old wheel that i took off. but i know the 2010 had 25mm axle and bearings. if my memory tells me rite i'm thinking the 06 had a 1" axle. can't remember for sure it's been a couple yrs. now.
roadkingdresser

roadkingdresser

ok here is the bearing #s 6205-1 has 1" axle the 6205 has a 25 mm axle. used the same spacer. the 1 at rhe end is important.
roadkingdresser

doctorevil

thanks roadking correct on axle sizes.i will check on those bearings at kaman tomorrow.

Skin

FYI, I got the bearing adapters and spacing figured out and between the lathe time and putting the wheel in and out quite a few times, it's not a quick job.