May 04, 2024, 09:49:44 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Johnson Lifters

Started by Blazing Saddles, March 12, 2020, 01:29:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blazing Saddles

I'm interested in getting a set for my 2004 FX Springer. Just talked to the Canadian retailer and he said the "Hylift" are not made in USA but offshore.
Is this correct?? Looking st #2313SE.

kd

KD

jamminhd2000

doctorevil

i believe there is something correct about this offshore statement. when johnson shutdown around 2004 did it not split into 2 companies topline johnson and hylift johnson.  i remember at sema several years ago melling reps discussing they only packaged hylift johnson.

cheech

March 12, 2020, 08:00:18 PM #4 Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 08:31:58 PM by cheech
Quote from: doctorevil on March 12, 2020, 05:40:46 PM
i believe there is something correct about this offshore statement. when johnson shutdown around 2004 did it not split into 2 companies topline johnson and hylift johnson.  i remember at sema several years ago melling reps discussing they only packaged hylift johnson.
Hope Larry confirms, does the ones he sells only go by Johnson Lifters or Hylift/Johnson?
Both come up, ads to the confusion.
And a little history on the very thing you speak of.
https://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/2010/07/picking_up_the_pieces_muskegon.html

wfolarry

Hylift Johnson lifters are made in the USA. They pound them out over in Michigan.
The lifters from the other Johnson lifter company are not made in the USA. Assembled maybe.
There are some that send their lifters to Mexico for the finish grinding.
Hylift just invested in 2 more ID grinders to keep up with all the business they're getting these days. Delphi is no longer selling to the aftermarket. The others have contracts with the auto industry & when they expire they're getting out of the business as well.
I was at the warehouse yesterday picking up my order. The lifters were coming in by the pallet load & going out as fast as they could box them up & ship them out. All the aftermarket companies that would shop for the best price are now shopping for what's available. There are more Chinese lifters that are starting to appear on the market so it's buyer beware. Know what you're buying even if you know who you're buying it from.
HYlift Johnson. Made in USA. If you need lifters I know a guy.  :smiled:

cheech

Quote from: wfolarry on March 13, 2020, 03:24:31 AM
Know what you're buying even if you know who you're buying it from.
Thanks, makes it clear.
With the Hylift Johnson and the other Johnson name around it does indeed make it uncertain. Although I'm not sure the other does make the multitude of Harley lifters.
One of the boat forums I'm on there was confusion between the 2 names.

Blazing Saddles

WFO - thanks for the info!

motorhogman

I bought a set from Larry in January and the box clearly says Made In the USA..Only have a couple hundred miles on them so far, They are quiet and don't bleed down enough to make and clacking even after several days of sitting..

What I found interesting is, I primed and installed them and never got around to finishing assembly for a while.. Might have been a week or longer, I forget.. Anyway the bike fired right up and no sign of any bleed down. 
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

1workinman

Quote from: wfolarry on March 13, 2020, 03:24:31 AM
Hylift Johnson lifters are made in the USA. They pound them out over in Michigan.
The lifters from the other Johnson lifter company are not made in the USA. Assembled maybe.
There are some that send their lifters to Mexico for the finish grinding.
Hylift just invested in 2 more ID grinders to keep up with all the business they're getting these days. Delphi is no longer selling to the aftermarket. The others have contracts with the auto industry & when they expire they're getting out of the business as well.
I was at the warehouse yesterday picking up my order. The lifters were coming in by the pallet load & going out as fast as they could box them up & ship them out. All the aftermarket companies that would shop for the best price are now shopping for what's available. There are more Chinese lifters that are starting to appear on the market so it's buyer beware. Know what you're buying even if you know who you're buying it from.
Damn Larry I can only guess the damage a set of Chinese set of lifters could do. I had some of the wheel bearings and it was not pretty . Na not interested in crap like that