April 25, 2024, 09:20:35 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Easy Start Cam

Started by scootertrash1, March 12, 2020, 11:42:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scootertrash1

Looking at a S&S cam gear drive for my 96 inch 2010 Ultra. Is the easy spin cams required here? One website, Amazon, that I looked had a list of ratings. One rater was upset that S&S recommended the easy spin type that he ordered, but in his instance, there was not enough compression to start the motor and that he had to buy another tuner to disable the compression release. Comments on S&S 551 cams?

Ohio HD

Your 2010 Ultra should not have HD installed compression releases. So the S&S easy starts would probably benefit you when the motor is hot.

Prostock

I use them alot on NON ACR builds.  Zero issues.  You will hear a tic tic when you shut down the motor which is perfectly normal. 

Deye76

"One website, Amazon,"

Not trying to start anything, but a local shop would really appreciate the business/support. S&S site has a dealer locator.  551 good TQ cams.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

There are always 10 or so sets of take off SE255s on eBay for around 100 bucks, No EZ start needed. I had an Andrews 48 in my 96" street glide, great torque. 551s have a great sound at idle, if that's important to you.

1workinman

Quote from: Ohio HD on March 12, 2020, 12:10:48 PM
Your 2010 Ultra should not have HD installed compression releases. So the S&S easy starts would probably benefit you when the motor is hot.
I not sure but a 96 inch has enough compression to require a set of ez starts .

PoorUB

Why would anyone pay a shop to disconnect the electric releases, just unplug them!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Ohio HD

Quote from: 1workinman on March 12, 2020, 05:01:24 PM
Quote from: Ohio HD on March 12, 2020, 12:10:48 PM
I not sure but a 96 inch has enough compression to require a set of ez starts .

Some 96" motors are notorious for kick back when the motors are hot. Mechanical compression doesn't come into play. There's a reason Harley went to ACR's with the 103" motors, the problem got worse. S&S 551 cams close the intake at 19°, that raises the cranking compression.

March 12, 2020, 06:47:07 PM #8 Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 06:48:23 PM by FSG
QuoteSome 96" motors are notorious for kick back when the motors are hot. Mechanical compression doesn't come into play. There's a reason Harley went to ACR's with the 103" motors, the problem got worse. S&S 551 cams close the intake at 19°, that raises the cranking compression.

My 96 did this a few times with the A48s... in Death Valley. 🔥

Ohio HD

Quote from: 838 on March 12, 2020, 06:47:07 PM
QuoteSome 96" motors are notorious for kick back when the motors are hot. Mechanical compression doesn't come into play. There's a reason Harley went to ACR's with the 103" motors, the problem got worse. S&S 551 cams close the intake at 19°, that raises the cranking compression.

My 96 did this a few times with the A48s... in Death Valley. 🔥

My '09 96" bike kicked back on hot starts when it was stock. After the Andrews 48's and a Roeder Racing tune, it starts right up, no matter how hot, no kick back.

prodrag1320

look at the 583 S&S cams,they carry out a bit farther than the 551

Hillside Motorcycle

The OE CVO 110" S/E "school-bus" 255 does actually work in a 96".
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Tail Ridr

Quote from: prodrag1320 on March 13, 2020, 04:25:00 AM
They always show the 583's as better suited to the lighter bikes, but with the numbers they put out, they look like they would be right at home in a bagger.
Eliminate the Imperfections of mass production!

Quote from: Tail Ridr on March 13, 2020, 02:36:34 PM
Quote from: prodrag1320 on March 13, 2020, 04:25:00 AM
They always show the 583's as better suited to the lighter bikes, but with the numbers they put out, they look like they would be right at home in a bagger.

I've always wondered why this cam gets looked over as a bolt in for the 96-103s. 

scootertrash1

All, Thanks for the replies and remarks. My 2010 Ultra DOES have the HD factory ACR set up on it. I bought it brand new way back in November 2009 after plowing my 2007 Ultra, that had no ACR, into a pack of deer. I should have also stated that I was planning on installing the 4 inch Sidewinder jugs from S&S. So my thinking is now, NOT to purchase the Easy Start Cams for this project, correct? I can still use the stock starter and the factory ACR will handle the job?

Ohio HD

You must have a very late built 2010 Ultra. The 2011 Ultra with the 96" didn't have the ACR's either, but the 2011 Ultra 103" bikes did.

Prostock

scootertrash1

HHmm! Manufacture tag date says 09-09. My HD 2010 Ultra Shop Manual shows how to remove and reinstall the ACR. I can take a flash light and see the electric plug connections in for, though I can't actually see the ACR itself. I'll get the seat off of it and unbolt the tank to lift it up and maybe I can see in there. Whenever I start the bike, I always hear that "spit" sound when cranking it over one rev. I never heard that from the 2007 that I had nor when my brother's 2008 Ultra fires! I don't want to come across as doubting anyone but, I really believe it's there! So, let me rephrase the original question. If there is ACR on this motor, would I need Easy Start cams? I think the answer is "no"?

Didn't the dealers do ACRs if they installed  a 103" big bore kit on the early 96" TCs?

Ohio HD

Quote from: scootertrash1 on March 13, 2020, 04:40:27 PM
HHmm! Manufacture tag date says 09-09. My HD 2010 Ultra Shop Manual shows how to remove and reinstall the ACR. I can take a flash light and see the electric plug connections in for, though I can't actually see the ACR itself. I'll get the seat off of it and unbolt the tank to lift it up and maybe I can see in there. Whenever I start the bike, I always hear that "spit" sound when cranking it over one rev. I never heard that from the 2007 that I had nor when my brother's 2008 Ultra fires! I don't want to come across as doubting anyone but, I really believe it's there! So, let me rephrase the original question. If there is ACR on this motor, would I need Easy Start cams? I think the answer is "no"?

I don't want to sound as I doubt you either. It just seems really odd that any 96" had factory ACR's. Nothing is impossible though.

But to answer, no, you don't need or even want both. Non easy start cams cost less too.

KiwiRob

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that '09 and later baggers were wired for ACR. - Rob

Ohio HD

My '09 Ultra doesn't have them. When you check the HD parts books, 2011 103" is when they show them starting.

PoorUB

I had a 2010 Ultra, 96" no compression releases, but it was wired for them. I added them when I went to a 107".

sprinkman

My 2009 Tri-Glide 103 has releases on it.
sprinkman

scootertrash1

Being the Bike Week stuff is having the plug pulled on a number of events by the mayor of Daytona (or so the rumor goes), I got my bill of sale out from 10 years ago. Says the bike is list 1584 cc. Looking further into the owner's manual, the VIN nomenclature show the 5th position as a 4 for 96 inch, that my VIN shows 4. The owner's manual then goes on to say the 103 (M) motor had the ACR only as members in this thread states! When I hit the deer on my 2007 Ultra in 2009, I had a lung punctured, leg broke, wrist, arm 3 ribs and clavicle all broken up. Morphine dripping away, I got my name on the 2010 2nd day in the hospital over the phone! Bought it! Never even got to see it till 3 months later. We picked it up on a trailer at TNT HD in Quincy, Illinois. It had .7 miles on it when I got possession. With a walking cast still on my leg, I rode bitch behind my brother 1.5 miles and then we put it in the garage. I never actually rode it till March 2010 Bike Week. I know, no one ever added anything to this scoot! I service it myself. It went back to the dealer for a recall on the ignition switch. I waited at the dealer for it. From my original post about another guy rating the Easy Start cams had a complaint his bike already had ACR. he may have a point. Crazy

PoorUB

Is it a "normal" Ultra? Or a CVO, SE or police model? Or some other variation?

scootertrash1