April 25, 2024, 01:02:16 AM

News:

Another Evo cam question

Started by Molly, March 03, 2020, 01:28:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Molly

Trying to make sense of the changes made to my '82 by the previous owner. The bike's noisy when hot and I'm just looking for possible causes.

It's fitted with this: https://www.sscycle.com/products/hydraulic-valve-train-conversion-kit-1966-84-for-shovelhead-engines/  but as it's not got roller rockers it's the version that oils the top end through the stock external oil line.

It's got an EV27 cam which I initially thought wouldn't be right for my bike but the S&S conversion kit above means, if I understand it correctly, that any cam swaps should be with Evo compatible rather than Shovel (?). The S&S page says: Fitment: 1966-'84 HD® Big Twins. Convert any shovelhead engine to a quiet, dependable 1984-'99 style hydraulic valve train. Special polished billet tappet guides allow the use of late style tappets (included) and 198-'99 style cams.

That sounds cool but I'm wondering if the EV27 might be contributing to the noise? Is it a good choice for a Shovel or should I try something else?

Thanks.

turboprop

The EV27 is not known to be a noisy cam when used in an evo application.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Burnout

Lots of things that could be happening.
Incorrect pushrod adjustment.
Pushrods hitting covers.
Lifter issues.
Plugged or missing lifter oil filter.
Gas in the oil.
Overheating.
Cam endplay.
Cam gear compatibility/size.
Valve guide issues.

An EV27 is not a radical cam and is certainly not known for noise.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Pete_Vit

From what I remember the EV27 is a step up from the EV23, IIRC it required some modifications to the cam chest? most of my issues with that sort of noise was due to improper adjustments to the adjustable pushrods, once done right, in my case no more scary noises
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

Molly

Thanks guys. Happened upon a video of an Evo making the exact same 'rise and fall' noise that mine's making. I've posted a thread (sorry to hog the Shovel section - it's just until I know what I'm looking for).

Thanks again for your replies.

Hillside Motorcycle

The EV-27, actually has pretty quick ramps.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

capn

Many evo riders complain about ev27 being noisy. Including me.

Burnout

A "bolt in" cam that is noisy????
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Ohio HD

I always thought they were a touch "ticky", but I wouldn't call them noisy.

Hossamania

Quote from: Ohio HD on March 05, 2020, 09:14:00 AM
I always thought they were a touch "ticky", but I wouldn't call them noisy.

That's the way I would describe them as well, a lot of people I know have used them with good results. Probably one of, if not the most popular Evo cams.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Pete_Vit

Quote from: Burnout on March 05, 2020, 08:24:03 AM
:scratch: is it a bolt in? I was told the EV27 required some grinding IIRC in the cam chest, or oil pump area  :nix: been a long time, that's why doing my first cam I opted for the EV23, or do I have that wrong....again  :doh:

Reddog74usa

You may have to pull the rocker boxes and set the rocker arm end play as they are known to be noisy when there's to much spacing in that area. Also when running these types of lifters the original oil pump has to be in excellent shape or just get an S&S pump. If you find it has the wavy spring washers in the rocker arm set up get rid of them as they are a big problem when they break apart and end up causing all kinds of internal damage to your engine. Shovels are very reliable once you get them right.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Molly

Thanks guys. You know, the bike runs well and with my inexperience I'm not entirely sure I'm not chasing noises that are inherent. I wouldn't want it to sound too quiet after all.

I watch bikes on that Hunting Harleys YouTube channel and the Shovels seem to vary in how noisy they are.

Anyway, thank you again for sharing your knowledge.

Ohio HD

Quote from: Pete_Vit on March 05, 2020, 10:40:34 AM
:scratch: is it a bolt in? I was told the EV27 required some grinding IIRC in the cam chest, or oil pump area  :nix: been a long time, that's why doing my first cam I opted for the EV23, or do I have that wrong....again  :doh:

EV27 slides in without any modifications to the case or valve springs. I'd use adjustable push rods.

Pete_Vit

Quote from: Ohio HD on March 05, 2020, 04:15:20 PM
Quote from: Pete_Vit on March 05, 2020, 10:40:34 AM

EV27 slides in without any modifications to the case or valve springs. I'd use adjustable push rods.
ok, thanks for that Ohio, been so long, now I have to go back and check what I bought, this age crap and forgetting is for the birds  :emoGroan:

Hillside Motorcycle

Loading the lifter to .140" helps dramatically.
We use a lot of Wood 6 cams in 80" Evo application, at 10.0 cc'd compression.
EV-3 is a great cam also.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

waltcentral

I have my third cam waiting to try in my 1983 FLH with Velva Touch EVO lifter geometry. I would like to add that I have NOT changed the rockers so I am still running Shovel rockers. My first cam was an EV13 and I was horribly noisey. It sounded to me like a rod knock and just did not like the way it ran. It seemed all its power was just off idle and went down from there. The cam in it now is a Dave Mackie DM500 and similar to the EV27 and is very quiet. It probably deserves to have the correct rocker geometry to allow a .500 lift.
Back in the day when I had my 1980 FLT the cam to use was was the Sifton .440. I told myself if I would ever own another Shovel I would find a >440 to use in it. That is when I talked to Craig at Black Widow Cams. He was the guy who purchased all of Sifton's machinery and formulas.  He says Shovelhead's for the most part will not work as well with an EVO cam bolted to it. The modern hydraulic equivalent of the Sifton .440 is the 112. It sill has a .440 lift.  He agreed to build me a 112(same lift, duration, overlap and LSA) on a EVO base so I can run the Velva Touch lifters.  I have had some delays waiting to heal up after a car accident, this old body does not bounce back like it used too!
This cam does have some serious ramps on it but from what I can see the ramps soften right before fully open and fully closed.
Black Widow cams has the specs on their website.