May 01, 2024, 02:49:39 AM

News:

Game? Hope I didnt lose:(

Started by Wookie3011, April 18, 2020, 04:43:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wookie3011

Is this normal in my oil? As many of you know I'm doing my 110 to 117 upgrade. Bikes in the air tank off ready to pull the heads and I drained the oild to find this. For size sake the big piece is the size of a dime wide and probably the with of threads on a bolt. Thanks

biggzed

Is it metallic? Definitely doesn't look normal. Can you open the oil filter and see what else is in there?

Zach

les

Was the bike making any unusual noise prior to tear down?  Is there any metal on the magnetic oil drain plug, or is the plug perfectly clean of ANY metal at all?

Wookie3011

This was onthe magnetic drain plug. No as far as noise but I had the engine noise delete AKA pro pipe. I'll check the oil filter.

Wookie3011

Heres the plugs first is front and 2nd back

choseneasy

Perfect timing to see what is going on. Once you tear the heads, cylinders off and open up the cam chest you will see what is going on.
  Do you use octane boost in your fuel?

kd

Quote from: Wookie3011 on April 18, 2020, 04:43:32 PM
Is this normal in my oil? As many of you know I'm doing my 110 to 117 upgrade. Bikes in the air tank off ready to pull the heads and I drained the oild to find this. For size sake the big piece is the size of a dime wide and probably the with of threads on a bolt. Thanks

The size of a dime long and the width of a couple of threads (what size bolt - coarse or fine thread?) is an iffy description.  How about a real measurement?

Going by your present description, being ferrous picked up by a magnet I'll guess it's a roller from a cam bearing.  How it got into the pan without taking out the pump is a good question. Was this engine rebuilt after a catastrophic failure before?
KD

PoorUB

Quote from: kd on April 18, 2020, 06:35:01 PM
Going by your present description, being ferrous picked up by a magnet I'll guess it's a roller from a cam bearing.  How it got into the pan without taking out the pump is a good question. Was this engine rebuilt after a catastrophic failure before?

I had a 1/2 inch long piece of oil ring break off during assembly and never noticed it. When the remainder of the oil ring scored the cylinder and it started burning oil I tore it down and pulled the oil pump. The pump was functioning fine good oil pressure, no sumping, but it was trashed from the piece of oil ring. I found the oil ring in the oil pan. I was surprised it went through the pump without breaking.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Wookie3011

Yes I do use Octane booster. VP Racing, that shard of metal was .015 x .186 long. I got everything apart. Stressing over the Circlips as that's the opportunity to really screw up by dropping them into the lower. I stopped for the nite and decided to watch a few vids onit before doing it. I've seen them before but I wanted it to be fresh in my mind. What size allen is that for the cam Plate? I need to buy a allen socket for my torque wrench. Tomorrow I'll be checking run out, pulling cam bearings and installing new ones.  Put the chest back together then start putting the jugs and heads back on. I have some nasty gaskets on the rocker housing. Any pointers to easily clean them or just a pain all the way around? When I took the throttle Body off I couldnt remove it untill I removed the heads. Is this normal or am I missing something? Thanks for all your help and information guys. I sure do appreciate it and its invaluable to me.

Wookie3011

Quote from: PoorUB on April 18, 2020, 08:40:34 PM
Quote from: kd on April 18, 2020, 06:35:01 PM

I had a 1/2 inch long piece of oil ring break off during assembly and never noticed it. When the remainder of the oil ring scored the cylinder and it started burning oil I tore it down and pulled the oil pump. The pump was functioning fine good oil pressure, no sumping, but it was trashed from the piece of oil ring. I found the oil ring in the oil pan. I was surprised it went through the pump without breaking.

Not as far as I know its never been into. I got with harley and pulled all the records for it. It's a 2016 FLSTFBS. I do use Octane boost VP racing. What made you ask? I have hella carbon build up on the back Cylinder and reddish on the front.

choseneasy

The red on the plugs looked like octane boost was used. Or some other additive.

Boe Cole

Was it on the drain plug when you removed the plug and saw it then or did the plug fall into the pan and possibly picked up something that could have fallen in the pan?
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

kd

KD

Wookie3011

No it didnt drop in thanks. I'm into it and let you know what I find

Wookie3011

It's the size of a grain of rice. Its jaggeike a steel splinter.

les

It did seem like an inner cam bearing roller, but guess not since you've got the cam chest open.  So, here goes a dumb wild guess.  Someone before installed pistons.  They tried to use a thin punch to pry the piston clip in.  The punch snapped off and fell into the short block.

Wookie3011

It's got 004 Runout on the pinion shaft. So that's average. Lifters look together. Though thanks to WFO Larry Got the B slow bleeds going in. I just dont see anything out of the ordinary besides the carbon build up on the back Cyl vs the front which looks like red rust but no Carbon. Any idea why the stark contrast between the 2?

Boe Cole

Quote from: Wookie3011 on April 20, 2020, 04:49:55 AM
It's got 004 Runout on the pinion shaft. So that's average. Lifters look together. Though thanks to WFO Larry Got the B slow bleeds going in. I just dont see anything out of the ordinary besides the carbon build up on the back Cyl vs the front which looks like red rust but no Carbon. Any idea why the stark contrast between the 2?
My guess for the difference is possibly the tune being different between the cylinders - or leaky valve stem seals.
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Wookie3011

To all the Totally Awesome Harley Techs and members of this Forum who gave me Critical advice and guidance thank you. I'm done with the build and it's amazing. I couldnt have done it without you all. Thanks!