April 30, 2024, 07:35:10 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Pin remover tool

Started by 89 fxrs, April 11, 2020, 04:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

89 fxrs

Was considering changing the handlebars on my bike and was wondering what the name of the type connector is called on the end of the harness  - I'm looking at some tools to help remove the pins from the connector. Buy chance are they called Deutsch or Molex ? If not please let me know what there called - Thanks, FXRS
Pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Molex 150 are the most common
Tom

Coyote

Depends on the model and year bike.

89 fxrs

It's for a 2013 CVO Road Glide

Quote from: Coyote on April 11, 2020, 07:34:45 PM
Depends on the model and year bike.

Coyote

April 11, 2020, 08:19:49 PM #4 Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 09:03:10 PM by Coyote
Those are Molex. All you need is a paper clip.

Just remove the retainer insert and use the unfolded clip to release the pin as  you pull the wire and pin out the back.

To assemble, just insert the pin in from the back until it clicks. When all pins are in, put the locking clip back in.

89 fxrs

there's a site that has the tool to do this and it's very inexpensive - is there a size that I would need?

Coyote

April 11, 2020, 08:26:20 PM #6 Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 09:04:20 PM by Coyote
Quote from: 89 fxrs on April 11, 2020, 08:24:51 PM
there's a site that has the tool to do this and it's very inexpensive - is there a size that I would need?

You need a very small round pin. I use a paper clip on these.

[attach=0,msg1342039]

89 fxrs

OK I'll give that a try - thanks Coyote

Coyote

Quote from: 89 fxrs on April 11, 2020, 08:28:42 PM
OK I'll give that a try - thanks Coyote

Sorry but I told you wrong. They are Molex on your bike. I updated my instructions above to correct them.

road-dawgs1

I purchased a MOLEX 63813-1500 EXTRACTION TOOL. I got it on Amazon a year or so ago. It is a little pricey for what you get.
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

dirty jim

Paper clip held with a pair of small Vise Grips. The Vise Grips make it easier to manipulate.

Muddogg

a fairly large sewing needle.

harleyfarmer

A small finishing nail works too.

jamminhd2000

I bought the tool....it was not cheap but worth every penny when you do multiple bars per year. Works flawlessly every time. Push it in and it releases the pin or socket and pull it out...never any damage to the locking tab in the connector...like others said a paper clip or something else will work....the tool is a glorified  pin with a handle on it.....jimmy