Which Shocks to buy '14 Limited - Ride Solo - No Trunk

Started by r0de_runr, March 16, 2020, 11:17:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

r0de_runr

So I just completed about 850 miles on my second bike, a 2016 R1200RT.  Solo with full saddlebags.  Great suspension.  Just great.

But my primary long distance tourer is a '14 Limited.  I rarely ride it with the trunk unless I am going on a trip, so I ride solo with just a few things in the saddlebags, kind of like a Street Glide.  So I have my air shocks adjusted accordingly and when fully loaded I'm ok with the ride, but there is no getting around the short travel shocks.

I need a shock that would work from a solo 275 lb rider to a two up with luggage 275 lb rider and 200 lb passenger with luggage.  I can see a 500lb load possible but unlikely.

Most miles will be solo 275 lb rider and no trunk, or solo 275 lb rider and ten days of stuff in the saddlebags/trunk.

I am 6ft 2in so I do not need short or low shocks, do they make a 4 inch travel shock?

Thanks for your help.
Teach your son to ride, shoot and always speak the truth.

PoorUB

I just put on a pair of Ohlins on my 2016 Limited. Bought them from Smarty here on HTT.

Nothing you can buy will be a huge improvement. All you can hope for is better.

BMW has 5" of suspension, Harley roughly 3". That 2 extra inches make a big difference.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

kd

One of the problems with simply adding height with shocks is that you change the arc and the swingarm relationship to the belt adjustment sweet spot.   Too far each side of tight is too loose and vice versa.  That'll kill a belt (or damage bearings) under some conditions.
KD

r0de_runr

Quote from: PoorUB on March 16, 2020, 02:07:15 PM
I just put on a pair of Ohlins on my 2016 Limited. Bought them from Smarty here on HTT.

BMW has 5" of suspension, Harley roughly 3". That 2 extra inches make a big difference.

I'm looking into some ohlins. And as far as that two extra inches, I knew a girl in Germany who thought the two extra inches made a big difference.

PoorUB

Quote from: r0de_runr on March 16, 2020, 03:12:36 PM
I'm looking into some ohlins. And as far as that two extra inches, I knew a girl in Germany who thought the two extra inches made a big difference.

When you start with only 2" that is quite an increase! :hyst:

jmorton10

Quote from: PoorUB on March 16, 2020, 02:07:15 PM

I have Ohlin Blacklines on my RK that I bought from smarty & I like them better than any other shock I've tried (and I'm embarrassed to admit how many that is LOL)

I totally agree that no shock will be a huge improvement, it cracks me up when I read things on the CVO site saying these new shocks made my bike ride like a caddy, I don't feel any bumps at all anymore (yeah OK)

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

boggart

Politely disagree.  Ohlins HD-044 are a huge difference when you get them dialed in.  Are they perfect?  No.  But they are a huge difference.  Got mine from smarty.   Worth the $$.   Wish I had done it 3 sets of shocks earlier.   

Finn

IIRC when you order Öhlins you inform them of the weight etc. so that they can supply correct spring and perhaps also valving baseline to suit customer's actual needs.
-83 GS1000G | -84 GSX1100EF | -97 FLHR | -98 FLSTS | -16 Triumph Tiger Explorer XRT 1200

Deye76

Have heard good reviews of Race Tech also. IME no shocks are worth a $1000.00
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

NHBagger

Running Pro-Action shocks on my trike.  They are better than stock but I still feel the frost heaves. 

biggzed

I had Pro Action on my Road Glide. They were a noticeable improvement over the Progressive 444 I replaced. Give the guys at Pro Action a call. They were great to work with, honest and very knowledgeable. Made in the USA too.

http://street.pro-action.com/

Zach   

r0de_runr

I went with these Ohlins:

336mm/13 1/4", 94mm/3.7" Stroke,
emulsified & Sweep Valve Adjustable,
Threaded Body Adjustable Spring Pre-Load.

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: r0de_runr on March 17, 2020, 11:47:06 AM
I went with these Ohlins:

336mm/13 1/4", 94mm/3.7" Stroke,
emulsified & Sweep Valve Adjustable,
Threaded Body Adjustable Spring Pre-Load.

Where did you get them from?

r0de_runr

rhuff

Quote from: Deye76 on March 17, 2020, 05:51:40 AM
Have heard good reviews of Race Tech also. IME no shocks are worth a $1000.00

Then you don't understand shocks. 

jmorton10

Anybody looking for Ohlins, buy them from smarty who is a member here.

He is awesome !!  :up: :up:

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

PoorUB

:agree:

Smarty is pretty good. He will set the shocks up pretty close then spend the time on the phone making sure you get the final adjustments correct. I don't think he will sell you shock if you don't agree to let him help with set up. He wants to make sure you like them.

wnogood

I've run progressive 444 on the last 3 baggers I've owned. If you catch them on sale like I did, you can score a set for $199. I used the "Heavy duty" model because I'm a fat guy. Same length as stock. Night and day difference over the OE air shocks. My argument against paying $1000 for shocks is that I don't think my backside would know the difference between a $200 set of shocks and a $1000 set of shocks. My 2020 street glide has the adjustable coilover shocks on it from the factory, and with no preload, they are decent.
2020 SGS 122" stonewashed white pearl

tommy g

I too am curious about Racetech shocks and have not heard of anyone using them.
I certainly like what their gold valve emulators and springs did for the front end of my Heritage.
09 FLSTC
85 FXEF

HogMike

I've been running Works shocks on my bikes since 08.
The first pair I'm still using on my new 2019 cvo, new seals, oil, charge every few years and still as nice when new. Internals still in good shape.
I also use the same style shock on my custom evo "street glide" with the same valving and setup as the new bike. Not planning on going to other shocks as these work fine for my riding style. I get these shocks rebuilt at a local dirt bike shop when I get a new bike and swap the OEM at that time.

The owner of Works passed about 5 yrs ago, but, I'm told the family is still running the business under the "WORX" name now , still in LA.

Just my 2c
:missed:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

PoorUB

I tried a set of Harley's  Premium Adjustable  shocks like is on the newer  baggers, thought they were worse than the air shocks!

cheech

Quote from: wnogood on March 18, 2020, 10:44:10 AM
I've run progressive 444 on the last 3 baggers I've owned. If you catch them on sale like I did, you can score a set for $199.

444's or 412's  :scratch: Currently MSRP on 444's is $680.00, MSRP on 412's is $300.00
Not saying any are a good value , worth it or what, but I can see one being discounted to $200, the other, hmmm.
But if so please let us know of the vendor, maybe they heavily discount other items we all need here.

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: r0de_runr on March 17, 2020, 11:17:16 PM
Howard Messner Motorcycle Metal

I assume that you bought his HD2 ajustables.   

I bought a set, real interested in your evaluation. 

PBSTN

I have only used the air shocks and the hand adjustables. Main thing for me. Is the difference between the 12's and the 13's. All 12's suck. 13's are better.I mean you're talking another 3rd of travel. But riding 2-up. The ride is better.
2010 flhr. 2003 FLHRSEI2. 1986 SUZUKI GS1150E.

r0de_runr

Quote from: Admiral Akbar on March 18, 2020, 01:41:15 PM
Quote from: r0de_runr on March 17, 2020, 11:17:16 PM
Howard Messner Motorcycle Metal

I assume that you bought his HD2 ajustables.   

I bought a set, real interested in your evaluation.

I'll post here my evaluation.  What are your observations?