Which Shocks to buy '14 Limited - Ride Solo - No Trunk

Started by r0de_runr, March 16, 2020, 11:17:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

r0de_runr

So I just completed about 850 miles on my second bike, a 2016 R1200RT.  Solo with full saddlebags.  Great suspension.  Just great.

But my primary long distance tourer is a '14 Limited.  I rarely ride it with the trunk unless I am going on a trip, so I ride solo with just a few things in the saddlebags, kind of like a Street Glide.  So I have my air shocks adjusted accordingly and when fully loaded I'm ok with the ride, but there is no getting around the short travel shocks.

I need a shock that would work from a solo 275 lb rider to a two up with luggage 275 lb rider and 200 lb passenger with luggage.  I can see a 500lb load possible but unlikely.

Most miles will be solo 275 lb rider and no trunk, or solo 275 lb rider and ten days of stuff in the saddlebags/trunk.

I am 6ft 2in so I do not need short or low shocks, do they make a 4 inch travel shock?

Thanks for your help.
Teach your son to ride, shoot and always speak the truth.

PoorUB

I just put on a pair of Ohlins on my 2016 Limited. Bought them from Smarty here on HTT.

Nothing you can buy will be a huge improvement. All you can hope for is better.

BMW has 5" of suspension, Harley roughly 3". That 2 extra inches make a big difference.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

kd

One of the problems with simply adding height with shocks is that you change the arc and the swingarm relationship to the belt adjustment sweet spot.   Too far each side of tight is too loose and vice versa.  That'll kill a belt (or damage bearings) under some conditions.
KD

r0de_runr

Quote from: PoorUB on March 16, 2020, 02:07:15 PM
I just put on a pair of Ohlins on my 2016 Limited. Bought them from Smarty here on HTT.

BMW has 5" of suspension, Harley roughly 3". That 2 extra inches make a big difference.

I'm looking into some ohlins. And as far as that two extra inches, I knew a girl in Germany who thought the two extra inches made a big difference.

PoorUB

Quote from: r0de_runr on March 16, 2020, 03:12:36 PM
I'm looking into some ohlins. And as far as that two extra inches, I knew a girl in Germany who thought the two extra inches made a big difference.

When you start with only 2" that is quite an increase! :hyst:

jmorton10

Quote from: PoorUB on March 16, 2020, 02:07:15 PM

I have Ohlin Blacklines on my RK that I bought from smarty & I like them better than any other shock I've tried (and I'm embarrassed to admit how many that is LOL)

I totally agree that no shock will be a huge improvement, it cracks me up when I read things on the CVO site saying these new shocks made my bike ride like a caddy, I don't feel any bumps at all anymore (yeah OK)

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

boggart

Politely disagree.  Ohlins HD-044 are a huge difference when you get them dialed in.  Are they perfect?  No.  But they are a huge difference.  Got mine from smarty.   Worth the $$.   Wish I had done it 3 sets of shocks earlier.   

Finn

IIRC when you order Öhlins you inform them of the weight etc. so that they can supply correct spring and perhaps also valving baseline to suit customer's actual needs.
-83 GS1000G | -84 GSX1100EF | -97 FLHR | -98 FLSTS | -16 Triumph Tiger Explorer XRT 1200

Deye76

Have heard good reviews of Race Tech also. IME no shocks are worth a $1000.00
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

NHBagger

Running Pro-Action shocks on my trike.  They are better than stock but I still feel the frost heaves. 

biggzed

I had Pro Action on my Road Glide. They were a noticeable improvement over the Progressive 444 I replaced. Give the guys at Pro Action a call. They were great to work with, honest and very knowledgeable. Made in the USA too.

http://street.pro-action.com/

Zach   

r0de_runr

I went with these Ohlins:

336mm/13 1/4", 94mm/3.7" Stroke,
emulsified & Sweep Valve Adjustable,
Threaded Body Adjustable Spring Pre-Load.

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: r0de_runr on March 17, 2020, 11:47:06 AM

Where did you get them from?

r0de_runr

rhuff

Quote from: Deye76 on March 17, 2020, 05:51:40 AM

Then you don't understand shocks. 

jmorton10

Anybody looking for Ohlins, buy them from smarty who is a member here.

He is awesome !!  :up: :up:

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

PoorUB

:agree:

Smarty is pretty good. He will set the shocks up pretty close then spend the time on the phone making sure you get the final adjustments correct. I don't think he will sell you shock if you don't agree to let him help with set up. He wants to make sure you like them.

wnogood

I've run progressive 444 on the last 3 baggers I've owned. If you catch them on sale like I did, you can score a set for $199. I used the "Heavy duty" model because I'm a fat guy. Same length as stock. Night and day difference over the OE air shocks. My argument against paying $1000 for shocks is that I don't think my backside would know the difference between a $200 set of shocks and a $1000 set of shocks. My 2020 street glide has the adjustable coilover shocks on it from the factory, and with no preload, they are decent.
2020 SGS 122" stonewashed white pearl

tommy g

I too am curious about Racetech shocks and have not heard of anyone using them.
I certainly like what their gold valve emulators and springs did for the front end of my Heritage.
09 FLSTC
85 FXEF

HogMike

I've been running Works shocks on my bikes since 08.
The first pair I'm still using on my new 2019 cvo, new seals, oil, charge every few years and still as nice when new. Internals still in good shape.
I also use the same style shock on my custom evo "street glide" with the same valving and setup as the new bike. Not planning on going to other shocks as these work fine for my riding style. I get these shocks rebuilt at a local dirt bike shop when I get a new bike and swap the OEM at that time.

The owner of Works passed about 5 yrs ago, but, I'm told the family is still running the business under the "WORX" name now , still in LA.

Just my 2c
:missed:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

PoorUB

I tried a set of Harley's  Premium Adjustable  shocks like is on the newer  baggers, thought they were worse than the air shocks!

cheech

Quote from: wnogood on March 18, 2020, 10:44:10 AM
I've run progressive 444 on the last 3 baggers I've owned. If you catch them on sale like I did, you can score a set for $199.

444's or 412's  :scratch: Currently MSRP on 444's is $680.00, MSRP on 412's is $300.00
Not saying any are a good value , worth it or what, but I can see one being discounted to $200, the other, hmmm.
But if so please let us know of the vendor, maybe they heavily discount other items we all need here.

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: r0de_runr on March 17, 2020, 11:17:16 PM
Howard Messner Motorcycle Metal

I assume that you bought his HD2 ajustables.   

I bought a set, real interested in your evaluation. 

PBSTN

I have only used the air shocks and the hand adjustables. Main thing for me. Is the difference between the 12's and the 13's. All 12's suck. 13's are better.I mean you're talking another 3rd of travel. But riding 2-up. The ride is better.
2010 flhr. 2003 FLHRSEI2. 1986 SUZUKI GS1150E.

r0de_runr

Quote from: Admiral Akbar on March 18, 2020, 01:41:15 PM

I'll post here my evaluation.  What are your observations?

Deye76

Quote from: rhuff on March 18, 2020, 12:26:28 AM
Quote from: Deye76 on March 17, 2020, 05:51:40 AM

Then you don't understand shocks.
By all means enlighten me.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Jim Bronson

Mine are the HD-159 model direct from the factory with the recommended spring. I've read the setup instructions several times and tried a couple of methods to set them up, but I can't get them set so the ride is better than the HD Premiums. I would be interested to hear how others have set theirs up, as I don't want to give up just yet.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

r0de_runr

Quote from: Jim Bronson on March 18, 2020, 06:25:02 PM
Mine are the HD-159 model direct from the factory with the recommended spring. I've read the setup instructions several times and tried a couple of methods to set them up, but I can't get them set so the ride is better than the HD Premiums. I would be interested to hear how others have set theirs up, as I don't want to give up just yet.

PM sent

Jim Bronson

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: r0de_runr on March 18, 2020, 02:43:31 PM
Quote from: Admiral Akbar on March 18, 2020, 01:41:15 PM

I'll post here my evaluation.  What are your observations?

So what's you eval? 

r0de_runr

Well I just put them on being lazy and I have not ridden the bike yet because of other considerations but I'll get out soon.

carolinayarddog

So how do I get in touch with Smarty regarding the Ohlins?

kd

Quote from: carolinayarddog on April 23, 2020, 08:47:55 AM
So how do I get in touch with Smarty regarding the Ohlins?

I think the suggestion was to send him a PM from here.
KD

r0de_runr

Well after a couple hundred Texas miles I can report I am happy as I can be on a Harley with these shocks.

As received I only had to take one turn of preload out, and three clicks of rebound removed and I report a much better ride.  Solo and no trunk.

Still no comparison to my BMW R1200RT but anyways...

I got mine from Howard.

Admiral Akbar

Here is my experience.

I weight about 185 (much lighter)  and installed the same shock on a 17 RK.  I use a C&C seat that does move my ass back a few inches.  I don't carry much weight in the saddlebags and always ride solo.  I used the exact same shock from Howard. I found the compression damping way too stiff.   Bike road like a rigid frame.   Played with preload, springs and even had a local shock builder decrease the compression damping twice.  Stock springs are 142 lb/in (25 N/mm).  I installed 90/120 springs off of some progressive 440 shocks. They helped.     I ended up removing the shocks and installing a set of Russ Werner Designs shocks.. Best so far.  The Howard shocks ended up on my 07 flhtc where I carry about 20 more LBs more crap in the bags.  They seem to work better there but still use the 90/120 springs and about 25mm of preload. Rebound is 20 clicks out..

So far my rating for shocks on baggers is

RWD, 
Ohlin 159
Motorcycle metal with springs and damping mods
Works with ARS (toss up between the moded MM and works)
Stock HD late M8
Progressive 440
MM stock
Stock HD early

Even tho I rate the MM stock low, it would do well as a track shock if all I did was run the bike hard through the corners. Again way too much compression damping.

HogMike

I delivered a 2016 cvo Streetglide to a friends house, right away I noticed how nice it rode compared to stock.
I didn't know he bought the bike (used) with the Ohlins already installed.
I have no idea who set them up but it rode very nice just about as nice as my old Custom Works setup.

My Works shocks were originally set up for long distance touring, heavy with trailer. I notice it is a little on the firm side solo, unloaded vs smooth with bsr unloaded. My ARS is on lightest setting now and works perfectly when 2 up.
I would be interested in trying the RWD on the new bike but can't justify the $$$ at this time.
As long as I can get them serviced I'll be keeping 2 of my bikes with the Works shocks.
But, as previously mentioned, the BMW has them all beat! LOL!
:missed: :potstir:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

Admiral Akbar

April 25, 2020, 06:33:09 PM #36 Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 06:38:00 PM by Admiral Akbar
Quote from: HOGMIKE on April 25, 2020, 04:37:43 PM
I delivered a 2016 cvo Streetglide to a friends house, right away I noticed how nice it rode compared to stock.
I didn't know he bought the bike (used) with the Ohlins already installed.
I have no idea who set them up but it rode very nice just about as nice as my old Custom Works setup.

My Works shocks were originally set up for long distance touring, heavy with trailer. I notice it is a little on the firm side solo, unloaded vs smooth with bsr unloaded. My ARS is on lightest setting now and works perfectly when 2 up.
I would be interested in trying the RWD on the new bike but can't justify the $$$ at this time.
As long as I can get them serviced I'll be keeping 2 of my bikes with the Works shocks.
But, as previously mentioned, the BMW has them all beat! LOL!
:missed: :potstir:

Well, Mike.
I know you are proud of how Works set up those shocks for you.  I still thinks a good set of 159s are better. You riding with Butch tomorrow?

HogMike

Got an invite with the other club to join them, won't make it with Butch and the group. Tell him hi for me!
HOGMIKE
SoCal

HogMike

Like I said, when I rode Johns cvo it was very nice, just didn't get a long ride, 2 up. :missed:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

carolinayarddog

I just had the Revo A 13"s installed; the bike had Progressive 11.5 's on it when I bought it and it rode like a forklift.  Way better; night and day

Jim Bronson

I pulled my Ohlins 159 yesterday and reinstalled my HD Premiums. After a couple of months of trying to find that magical sweet spot for a comfortable ride, I decided the HD Premiums were just as good and perhaps better in the ride department. I tried every adjustment method I could find, and I got tired of pulling the bags after every ride in an attempt to achieve a better setup. I will say that the handling in twisties is very good with the Ohlins. I think I'm done trying to improve Harley's bagger suspension design from the 1940s. It looks like all the new softail models now use a mono shock design, so maybe the touring models are next. One can only hope.

rhuff

entry level ohlins will satisfy 99% of harley riders.

PoorUB

Quote from: Jim Bronson on May 02, 2020, 10:24:44 AM
I pulled my Ohlins 159 yesterday and reinstalled my HD Premiums. After a couple of months of trying to find that magical sweet spot for a comfortable ride, I decided the HD Premiums were just as good and perhaps better in the ride department.

I like the Ohlins I put on my 2016 Limited and I am not done playing with the setup yet. Better than the air and better than the HD Premiums. Even my wife said she likes riding the Harley again.

Jim Bronson

From my research on various forums, it is clear that the chunkier owners of heavier bikes who often ride 2-up are the most satisfied with aftermarket shocks. By comparison, I'm a skinny 180# on a RK with a light saddlebag load and never ride 2-up. I don't think aftermarket shocks are made for guys like me. I've tried; I'm done. Maybe a mono shock Heritage would be better for me.

rhuff

Quote from: PoorUB on May 02, 2020, 03:15:15 PM
Quote from: Jim Bronson on May 02, 2020, 10:24:44 AM
I pulled my Ohlins 159 yesterday and reinstalled my HD Premiums. After a couple of months of trying to find that magical sweet spot for a comfortable ride, I decided the HD Premiums were just as good and perhaps better in the ride department.

I like the Ohlins I put on my 2016 Limited and I am not done playing with the setup yet. Better than the air and better than the HD Premiums. Even my wife said she likes riding the Harley again.

Agreed.  There is no comparison.  I had ohlins on my 2003.  I sold the bike last summer with some progressives on them and was able to sell the ohlins for a good price, versus putting on my 2015 RGS.  I just tossed on a set of 13" premiums that I had sitting around that I got for free and put them on and did 1500 miles.  Better than the 12" but not enough to make me happy.  Makes me wish I had kept the Ohlins.

I'm debating doing the forks on the 2015 and getting some Ohlins, but I just feel like I'm done tossing money on a bike that I can ride beyond its limits.  It's frustrating, because there is nothing I like more than to add some mid-controls to the Road Glide, but I know that $3000 in suspension upgrades won't be enough. 

Give me a mono-touring frame, HD, or I have to leave.  Or add another bike :)

boooby1744

Quote from: Jim Bronson on May 02, 2020, 04:46:00 PM
From my research on various forums, it is clear that the chunkier owners of heavier bikes who often ride 2-up are the most satisfied with aftermarket shocks. By comparison, I'm a skinny 180# on a RK with a light saddlebag load and never ride 2-up. I don't think aftermarket shocks are made for guys like me. I've tried; I'm done. Maybe a mono shock Heritage would be better for me.
It might be cheaper to get new springs or re valves Give Shorty a call.

r0de_runr

If it never bottoms out on your normal riding roads then you are set too stiff.

Should have about 2/3rd of the shaft showing when you are sitting on it.  Then use the rebound dampening to finish out the adjustments.

Mine is still a little stiff, but I don't mind that on the crooked Sisters.

PoorUB

Quote from: Jim Bronson on May 02, 2020, 04:46:00 PM

Well, I am a chunky 180 pounds too. I didn't
like the Premiums because they were too harsh.

Jim Bronson

Quote from: boooby1744 on May 02, 2020, 05:57:36 PM
I couldn't find an active member by that name.

boooby1744

Quote from: Jim Bronson on May 02, 2020, 08:58:00 PM
Quote from: boooby1744 on May 02, 2020, 05:57:36 PM
I couldn't find an active member by that name.
Smarty,not shorty,sorry, a little too much  alcohol.

klammer76

I have had Works Street Trackers in the past on my 2002 FLH. Hated them, very stiff.

Have Ohlins Blackline 774 (13") now. I am 5'11, 205lbs. The Ohlins Work well but somewhat stiff also. Switched from27nm springs to 25nm and was a bit better. These shocks for me ride the best 2 up and loaded. They are very decent for that. Pre load solo to get 1/2" sag is the adjuster backed off all the way. 2 up, 6 turns and 7 to 8 if I have the chopped or king pak on (don't use the king any more). Still playing with the dampening dial a bit. They are good shocks but best for me 2 up. They (as with any good shock) really let you know how bad the front suspension is. I have 14,000 miles on these shocks now.

Lately, the RWD shocks that Max referenced have really caught my eye. Do they have adjustable compression damping?

Hossamania

A friend of mine bought some Super Shox recently, and he really likes them, coming off the stock Premiums. His wife does too. I will update his experiences if they change.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Jim Bronson

Quote from: Hossamania on May 03, 2020, 07:35:53 AM
A friend of mine bought some Super Shox recently, and he really likes them, coming off the stock Premiums. His wife does too. I will update his experiences if they change.
Super Shox didn't work for me either. I found them to be pretty harsh. I'm going to ride a bit with the Premiums (again) for comparison. If they're worse I'll go back to the Ohlins. I guess it all depends which ones don't rattle my fillings loose. On the positive side, I can now replace shocks with my eyes closed.

Jim Bronson

I rode with the HD Premiums today, and the ride is much better overall than with the Ohlins. I can't understand that, since the Ohlins are praised by most riders. I'll contact Smarty and see if he can help. I'd prefer to use the Ohlins because they perform better than the Premiums on the mountain twisties. Maybe I can't have a both good ride and good handling with the same shock.

turboprop

A buddy of mine has these on his bagger. After riding his bike a few times, I cant really tell the difference between them and a set of Racetech piggy backs. I hate spending money on the bagger, but these are half the cost of Ohlins and/or Racetech. I placed the order yesterday and received a confirmation today (sunday) that they are being built and needed some weights and other bits of info.

https://www.ikonshocksusa.com/products/7614-1601?variant=27857610817&fbclid=IwAR1Zs0O0CY9yBEPwfdDhT3SGkmtCzq_D3n40Y2tvN2gfc8TQn9IrV3URLvU

Specs by part number
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1400/8725/files/Ikon_Shocks_USA_Specifications_2016.xls?3433952438492627253

Application Chart
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1400/8725/files/Ikon_Shocks_USA_Application_List_2016.xls?3433952438492627253

'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

04 SE Deuce

Got a couple questions for you Jim.

-  How much laden SAG do you have the spring preload set at?  Measured from axle straight up to a fixed point, difference between rear wheel off ground to rider on bike feet on boards.

-  Have you put a tattletale (small tie-strap) on the shock shaft to see how much shaft travel you are getting on various surfaces?

-  What spring rate or spring part number is on the shocks?

-  What part number is on the shock body/end?  Should be something with like 159-4.

Ohlins has updated the valving and piston over time to make the shocks plusher...need to know how current your pair is.

A good test for shaft travel is to find a road that has moderate irregularities, set your tattletalesand ride a section that doesn't have any big bumps and check your shaft travel...reset tattletales and repeat. 

Gradually step up the bump size until you know what shaft travel you get given the surface or bump size. 

Avoid or reset after hitting curbed driveways, intersection dips, large/rough bumps but note if your tattletale is against the bump stop after these.

Ohlins USA prefers that you send the shocks directly to them for adjustment.  They tend to be fair about swapping springs and can do a quick re-valve with just fresh oil on shocks that haven't been run long.
Matt Sage in Harley sales and Brad Stokes in service are top drawer guys!

Ohlins USA (828) 692-4525.  Talk to Brad Stokes in service and tell him your preference is ride quality.
Bike model, rider weight, spring part #, part # on shock, laden SAG, shaft travel being used, ride quality preference.  Also measure the height of the rubber bump stop in case needed/asked.

HTH   -Rick

Do no involve anyone suffering from high humidity climate.

Jim Bronson

Quote from: 04 SE DEUCE on May 03, 2020, 05:33:26 PM

-  How much laden SAG do you have the spring preload set at?  Measured from axle straight up to a fixed point, difference between rear wheel off ground to rider on bike feet on boards.
IIRC it was about 25mm when I first began adjusting them. I then adjusted them two turns at a time between rides from sag measurements that I knew were way too high or too low. There was no sweet spot for maximum ride comfort.

-  Have you put a tattletale (small tie-strap) on the shock shaft to see how much shaft travel you are getting on various surfaces?
Yes, I did try the cable-tie method. I made several attempts with the wrap moving down to between 1/2" and approximately 3/4" from the bump stop over some normal bumpy roads. The wrap always hit the stop while pulling into my garage from the street over a curbed driveway.

-  What spring rate or spring part number is on the shocks? 00280-21/25  L1519

-  What part number is on the shock body/end?  Should be something with like 159-4. That's correct 159-4

Ohlins has updated the valving and piston over time to make the shocks plusher...need to know how current your pair is.

A good test for shaft travel is to find a road that has moderate irregularities, set your tattletalesand ride a section that doesn't have any big bumps and check your shaft travel...reset tattletales and repeat. 

Gradually step up the bump size until you know what shaft travel you get given the surface or bump size. 

Avoid or reset after hitting curbed driveways, intersection dips, large/rough bumps but note if your tattletale is against the bump stop after these.

Ohlins USA prefers that you send the shocks directly to them for adjustment.  They tend to be fair about swapping springs and can do a quick re-valve with just fresh oil on shocks that haven't been run long.

Ohlins USA (828) 692-4525.  Talk to Brad Stokes in service and tell him your preference is ride quality.
Bike model, rider weight, spring part #, part # on shock, laden SAG, shaft travel being used, ride quality preference.  Also measure the height of the rubber bump stop in case needed/asked.

HTH   -Rick

Do no involve anyone suffering from high humidity climate. I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

Thanks for the detailed reply Rick. Please see answers above. I ordered the shocks directly from the Ohlins sales office, but I don't recall who I talked to. I remember carefully describing my riding mode, and he seemed confident that he was sending me the right ones. I re-installed the HD Premiums yesterday for a sanity check, and the improvement is quite noticeable with the adjustment set to 1. Pulling into my driveway is much easier on my aching back.

KumaRide

Quote from: 04 SE DEUCE on May 03, 2020, 05:33:26 PM

-  What spring rate or spring part number is on the shocks?

-  What part number is on the shock body/end?  Should be something with like 159-4.

Ohlins USA (828) 692-4525.  Talk to Brad Stokes in service and tell him  your preference is ride quality .

HTH   -Rick

Do not involve anyone suffering from high humidity climate.

:hyst: :hyst:   (Fixed it for you.)

Ohlins fixed my shocks that were claimed to be custom built by the guy in the high humidity climate.

The 159-4 should have the upgraded piston. 

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: klammer76 on May 03, 2020, 07:29:11 AM
I have had Works Street Trackers in the past on my 2002 FLH. Hated them, very stiff.

Have Ohlins Blackline 774 (13") now. I am 5'11, 205lbs. The Ohlins Work well but somewhat stiff also. Switched from27nm springs to 25nm and was a bit better. These shocks for me ride the best 2 up and loaded. They are very decent for that. Pre load solo to get 1/2" sag is the adjuster backed off all the way. 2 up, 6 turns and 7 to 8 if I have the chopped or king pak on (don't use the king any more). Still playing with the dampening dial a bit. They are good shocks but best for me 2 up. They (as with any good shock) really let you know how bad the front suspension is. I have 14,000 miles on these shocks now.

Lately, the RWD shocks that Max referenced have really caught my eye. Do they have adjustable compression damping?

Works ST with ARS worked fine on my 07 EGC.  They are a little stiff on the compression damping tho.  I have ST on my dyna and they are about perfect.

The RWDs do not have rebound damping adjustment. IMO it's not really needed when the spring rate is set.  They do have both low speed and high speed compression which is really where the adjustment should be.  The only issue I see is that for me 185lb, nothing heavy in the saddlebags on a 17 RK, the lightest setting is fine (lighter compression and more travel than the Works or 159s) but it would be nice to be able to adjust the compression damping so that it was too light.

BTW look at what RWD says on how to set sag.  Screwed up IMO.

I like Ed's suggestion on Ikons. I don't think the gas filled are necessary. Used Koni's years ago and they would fade in the dirt but on the street? Maybe if you were running hard on a track. The adjustable are only $420..  Plan on buying a set for my CB750K8. 

turboprop

Quote from: Admiral Akbar on May 04, 2020, 09:11:40 AM

Works ST with ARS worked fine on my 07 EGC.  They are a little stiff on the compression damping tho.  I have ST on my dyna and they are about perfect.

The RWDs do not have rebound damping adjustment. IMO it's not really needed when the spring rate is set.  They do have both low speed and high speed compression which is really where the adjustment should be.  The only issue I see is that for me 185lb, nothing heavy in the saddlebags on a 17 RK, the lightest setting is fine (lighter compression and more travel than the Works or 159s) but it would be nice to be able to adjust the compression damping so that it was too light.

BTW look at what RWD says on how to set sag.  Screwed up IMO.

I like Ed's suggestion on Ikons. I don't think the gas filled are necessary. Used Koni's years ago and they would fade in the dirt but on the street? Maybe if you were running hard on a track. The adjustable are only $420..  Plan on buying a set for my CB750K8.

I was prepared to go full retard and buy a set of piggybacks from Ohlins. I am getting off pretty lite at only $610.

04 SE Deuce

Quote from: Jim Bronson on May 03, 2020, 08:20:33 PM
Thanks for the detailed reply Rick. Please see answers above. I ordered the shocks directly from the Ohlins sales office, but I don't recall who I talked to. I remember carefully describing my riding mode, and he seemed confident that he was sending me the right ones. I re-installed the HD Premiums yesterday for a sanity check, and the improvement is quite noticeable with the adjustment set to 1. Pulling into my driveway is much easier on my aching back.

Quote from: Jim Bronson on May 03, 2020, 08:20:33 PM

Jim,  Shocks are somewhat personal to rider preference.  Like I've mentioned here before quality rebuildable shocks can be tweeked to user preference given accurate feedback when serviced or sooner if needed.  Brad personally services my shocks and re-valved my softail shocks to good improvement.  He can adjust any aspect of the shock to suit your application. 

The Harley touring models are heavy bikes with limited/marginal travel so are somewhat of a give and take in regards to shock performance...lot of work load being done in 2-3 inches. 

Gas shocks without a remote or piggyback reservoir (like HD159) give up aprox. 14mm of shaft travel due to the internal dividing piston but still tend to perform better than emulsion shocks.

Another variable is bump stops, different shocks vary in how bottoming effects are muted from the rider.

Give Brad a call and discuss your needs/feedback...tell him Deuce riding Rick in CA sent you.

Jim Bronson

04 SE Deuce

Quote from: Admiral Akbar on May 04, 2020, 09:11:40 AM

Bruce,  Personal involvement with Klammer and KumaRide (who I ridden with) is what finally prompted me to talk to Pierre at Works.  Both riders had identical complaints (harsh w/limited shaft travel) with their Works shocks.  The result was larger orifices in the piston which improved the shocks but not enough for either rider to keep them.  Works tended to use lighter spring rates on touring model shocks than any brand I'm aware of which put an emphasize on correct valving to control shaft speed.

Your Works touring shocks seemed ok to me when I rode them other than bottoming too easy for my weight and riding preferences.  IIRC both Klammer and Kuma had ASR with the next firmer main spring 120lb/in compared to your 100lb/in.

The Ikon shocks mentioned are gas not emulsion.

Your 159's are old enough to not have the current piston.  You might consider updating them when serviced if you haven't already.

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: 04 SE DEUCE on May 04, 2020, 12:39:43 PM

Bruce,  Personal involvement with Klammer and KumaRide (who I ridden with) is what finally prompted me to talk to Pierre at Works.  Both riders had identical complaints (harsh w/limited shaft travel) with their Works shocks.  The result was larger orifices in the piston which improved the shocks but not enough for either rider to keep them.  Works tended to use lighter spring rates on touring model shocks than any brand I'm aware of which put an emphasize on correct valving to control shaft speed.

Your Works touring shocks seemed ok to me when I rode them other than bottoming too easy for my weight and riding preferences.  IIRC both Klammer and Kuma had ASR with the next firmer main spring 120lb/in compared to your 100lb/in.

Your 159's are old enough to not have the current piston.  You might consider updating them when serviced if you haven't already.

What the difference between the shocks the 2K's bikes had and the ones on my EGC?  Did you ride their bikes? You rode mine.

No clue on what you are saying about Ikon shocks.  IMO the non gas ones would be fine which is what I was saying.

159s I had were fine for me the way they were except that the travel was limited. They are long gone tho.

04 SE Deuce

May 04, 2020, 01:25:25 PM #64 Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 02:01:17 PM by 04 SE DEUCE
Quote from: Admiral Akbar on May 04, 2020, 01:17:30 PM
No clue on what you are saying about Ikon shocks.  IMO the non gas ones would be fine which is what I was saying.

Got ya, wouldn't know without trying them but would expect similar performance to most bands of same price point emulsion shocks.  I did talk with the owner at a show back when all they offered were the emulsion shocks. Nice guy and in no way did he try to overstate or oversell the product at that time.

Click the first link Ed suggested for IKON,  they are gas not emulsion,  with progressive springs.

04 SE Deuce

Quote from: turboprop on May 04, 2020, 11:31:33 AM
I was prepared to go full retard and buy a set of piggybacks from Ohlins. I am getting off pretty lite at only $610.

Nothing retarded with using what is unarguably one of the most quality brands on the planet with some of the best support in the industry at Ohlins USA, which I believe is close to your local.

Trying to make an unjustified case against Ohlins would be questionable.

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: 04 SE DEUCE on May 04, 2020, 01:25:25 PM

Got ya, wouldn't know without trying them but would expect similar performance to most bands of same price point emulsion shocks.  I did talk with the owner at a show back when all they offered were the emulsion shocks. Nice guy and in no way did he try to overstate or oversell the product at that time.

Click the first link Ed suggested for IKON,  they are gas not emulsion,  with progressive springs.

I do have experience with the old Koni's. IMO it's a good design.  Easy to rebuild and tune. The shock Ed shows is a pressurized twin tube Ikon which pretty much makes it the same as a non pressurized version that I mention.  I like the steel body and spring cam. I would expect that both would work well only the pressurized version would fade less.  Again, street bikes likely don't need pressurized shocks. They don't get worked that hard. (IMO)

Why are you hung up on emulsion shocks?  I still don't understand.

Admiral Akbar

Good description of the different shock types.   Notice that they seem to say a good twin-tube design will provide for a smoother ride.

https://www.shocksurplus.com/pages/shock-absorber-design-differences

turboprop

I wonder if the OP has made a purchase yet. All this hot air may be for nothing.

There are a couple of recent threads about the value of high-dollar shocks on a harley touring model. I hope the OP has found those threads and read through them. Shocks for baggers may replace TC lifters as the great 'Taste great vs less filling' debate.

Ohio HD

Yeah, he bought the next day.

Quote from: r0de_runr on March 17, 2020, 11:47:06 AM

:doh:

turboprop

Too funny. Lot of hot air expelled here that could have been used on a critical discussion about TC lifters. Such a waste.

KumaRide

OP went "full retard".  lol  And from the humid climate zone...  I hope he got the same multiple discounts the members from the other forum get. Their was a specific discount called  "rebate for possible personal review". Could this explain all the favorable reviews.   :potstir:

Some fun facts. No hot air.

About 5 years ago is when I tried Works shocks. Using a zip tie to verify stroke and hitting all shapes and sizes of bumps and pot holes, the shocks would never travel to the bump stop. They would always be ~1/2 from the stop. When the shock would end travel they would feel like a hard stop. As if something internal was preventing the shocks from traveling. They NEVER hit the bump stop nor even came close.  The shocks were sent back to Works a couple times for revalving.  Works also provided various springs that I installed myself. Shipping and testing and revalving and replacing springs went on for a few months. At that point, I ran out of travel and moved on.

Also running "full retard" shocks. HD 357. Was lucky and paid what the RWD's cost even after Ohlins upgraded the piston.  After Ohlins upgraded the piston a couple years ago they work very well. They are slightly on the sporty side 1up (200 lbs) and work very well 2up (310 lbs combined).  A good compromise.  By sporty side, I mean if you like to cruise and "live" in your back rest, you will want them softer on rougher roads.

turboprop

Quote from: KumaRide on May 05, 2020, 08:55:56 AM
OP went "full retard".  lol  And from the humid climate zone...  I hope he got the same multiple discounts the members from the other forum get. Their was a specific discount called  "rebate for possible personal review". Could this explain all the favorable reviews.   :potstir:

Some fun facts. No hot air.

About 5 years ago is when I tried Works shocks. Using a zip tie to verify stroke and hitting all shapes and sizes of bumps and pot holes, the shocks would never travel to the bump stop. They would always be ~1/2 from the stop. When the shock would end travel they would feel like a hard stop. As if something internal was preventing the shocks from traveling. They NEVER hit the bump stop nor even came close.  The shocks were sent back to Works a couple times for revalving.  Works also provided various springs that I installed myself. Shipping and testing and revalving and replacing springs went on for a few months. At that point, I ran out of travel and moved on.

Also running "full retard" shocks. HD 357. Was lucky and paid what the RWD's cost even after Ohlins upgraded the piston.  After Ohlins upgraded the piston a couple years ago they work very well. They are slightly on the sporty side 1up (200 lbs) and work very well 2up (310 lbs combined).  A good compromise.  By sporty side, I mean if you like to cruise and "live" in your back rest, you will want them softer on rougher roads.

I recently went full retard on a couple of things that I had to have just because. we all have our vices.   Seeing as the OP has made a purchase, this thread should be done until the OP comes back with a follow up.

Admiral Akbar

May 05, 2020, 09:47:38 AM #73 Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 09:58:15 AM by Admiral Akbar
Quote from: turboprop on May 05, 2020, 09:41:39 AM

I recently went full retard on a couple of things that I had to have just because. we all have our vices.   Seeing as the OP has made a purchase, this thread should be done until the OP comes back with a follow up.

Add:

My eval of the same shock #34

BTW

I liked Works on the EGC tho they were a bit stiff on the 02 RKC.  I don't ride with a back rest tho.  For me the 159 - pre 4 were great on the RK. I do like a firm ride tho. Only adjustments on them over stock was to add 2 turns to the springs and bump the rebound up 3 clicks.

Rockout Rocker Products

I bought my Ohlins from "the Florida guy".  I did receive a large forum discount, was never asked for any kind of review.

www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

klammer76

Quote from: 04 SE DEUCE on May 04, 2020, 01:32:13 PM
Quote from: turboprop on May 04, 2020, 11:31:33 AM

Nothing retarded with using what is unarguably one of the most quality brands on the planet with some of the best support in the industry at Ohlins USA, which I believe is close to your local.

Trying to make an unjustified case against Ohlins would be questionable.
Hey Rick, your in box is full. I have been trying to get a hold of you for a while. PM or give a call.

klammer76

Quote from: 04 SE DEUCE on May 04, 2020, 12:39:43 PM

What the difference between the shocks the 2K's bikes had and the ones on my EGC?  Did you ride their bikes? You rode mine.
My Works were very stiff even with the GF on back. Mostly IIRC in the rebound. Rick did set me up with Pierre who did some re valving. They were better but just not what I was looking for. I will add that I was not a fan of Works customer service initially. Owners son and I did not see eye to eye. Pierre was very good. Literally a week after I got my shocks back is when they went out of business. Was glad to get them back. Sold them to a friend that is a bit north of 300. He loves them. 

159s I had were fine for me the way they were except that the travel was limited. They are long gone tho.

KumaRide

Quote from: Rockout Rocker Products on May 05, 2020, 01:51:33 PM

I bought my Ohlins from "the Florida guy".  I did receive a large forum discount, was never asked for any kind of review.

Maybe he stopped doing it at some point :nix:   You got a good price and like your shocks, then you done good.

Perhaps the OP can start a specific eval thread on the shocks.

[attach=0]   

Rockout Rocker Products

That invoice looks very much like Amazon's policy for sellers.... you are allowed to offer compensation for a product review, just NOT FOR A POSITIVE product review.

I'm curious now & will have to try to dig up my 5 year old receipt. :scratch:

www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: klammer76 on May 05, 2020, 03:47:41 PM
My Works were very stiff even with the GF on back. Mostly IIRC in the rebound. Rick did set me up with Pierre who did some re valving. They were better but just not what I was looking for. I will add that I was not a fan of Works customer service initially. Owners son and I did not see eye to eye. Pierre was very good. Literally a week after I got my shocks back is when they went out of business. Was glad to get them back. Sold them to a friend that is a bit north of 300. He loves them.  [/color]

My works shocks are likely 10/12 years old.  I kind of wonder if the QA went down hill when the old man died.  Hogmike has a set of Words that he had adjusted at their facility some years ago.  They are on his current M8 CVO. He keeps moving them from bike to bike.  Mike is lighter than I am. I suspect that when he passes, they will bury him with the shocks.

kd

:hyst: :hyst:  That's funny.  Probably true, but funny.   :teeth:
KD

r0de_runr

I paid $745 for HD 136 adjustable shocks.  From Howard.  $40 shipping and no tax.  Seemed like a good deal.  I spoke with him on the phone a couple of times about how to mount and set up.

One thing he was key on was making sure your top and bottom shock mount points lined up so there would be no binding when the swingarm went through its arc.  Made sense to me.  Also, to set preload at 1/3 of travel, thnen put a wire tie around the shaft and adjust for full travel on most roads you ride on.

Don't know why people hate on Howard.  But they hate on MityMites too, and I guess some folk just have to hate on someone.

boggart

Quote from: r0de_runr on May 06, 2020, 12:03:12 PM

Don't know why people hate on Howard.  But they hate on MityMites too, and I guess some folk just have to hate on someone.

I bought my first Ohlins from Howard.  He is a rough around the edges crusty old dude.  But, a lot of people who know what they're talking about and are tired of dealing with misinformation or lack of people listening are like that.  No nonsense "don't ask me questions and not listen to the answer" kinda guy.  I think a lot of people just want someone to tell them they're right and to be nice to them even if they don't deserve it.  That's my thought on why people hate on Howard anyway.  I got along with him fine.

HogMike

Quote from: Admiral Akbar on May 06, 2020, 08:29:34 AM
Quote from: klammer76 on May 05, 2020, 03:47:41 PM
My Works were very stiff even with the GF on back. Mostly IIRC in the rebound. Rick did set me up with Pierre who did some re valving. They were better but just not what I was looking for. I will add that I was not a fan of Works customer service initially. Owners son and I did not see eye to eye. Pierre was very good. Literally a week after I got my shocks back is when they went out of business. Was glad to get them back. Sold them to a friend that is a bit north of 300. He loves them.  [/color]

My works shocks are likely 10/12 years old.  I kind of wonder if the QA went down hill when the old man died.  Hogmike has a set of Words that he had adjusted at their facility some years ago.  They are on his current M8 CVO. He keeps moving them from bike to bike.  Mike is lighter than I am. I suspect that when he passes, they will bury him with the shocks.

Thanks for the kind words! LOL
I think I'm a little heavier than you and 2 up most of the time and loaded heavy solo on the long trips.
I spent more than one or two trips and hooked up with Sandy to get my stack just the way I wanted.
Sadly he passed away before I bought my second set of shocks for the green bike.
I asked for the same setup and faxed them my build sheet but like you said the old man passed about the same time and I'm pretty sure I got "off the shelf" shocks. Something I can notice.
I may get ambitious and swap the shocks on both of these bikes just for fun.
JMO
:idunno:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

KumaRide

Quote from: boggart on May 06, 2020, 01:16:54 PM

I bought my first Ohlins from Howard.  He is a rough around the edges crusty old dude.  But, a lot of people who know what they're talking about and are tired of dealing with misinformation or lack of people listening are like that.  No nonsense "don't ask me questions and not listen to the answer" kinda guy.  I think a lot of people just want someone to tell them they're right and to be nice to them even if they don't deserve it.  That's my thought on why people hate on Howard anyway.  I got along with him fine.

One thing that makes this forum better then others is the members tend to seek truth and facts. In this case, the fact is my shocks, like others, were sold as custom built. Yet, they rode terrible. Very harsh and little travel, even 2up.  After much research I learned this is not as "uncommon" as we would think.  I decided to go to the manufacturer and speak with them about it. They understood whats going on and were very familiar with this type of situation and were more then willing to help.

Ohlins first sent a softer variable rate spring, IIRC a 19-26nm, to see if that would help. It did improve ride quality but only slightly. They then offered to custom build the shocks at a discounted and very fair rate.  After a few discussions with them I decided to try the newer style piston as I mentioned in an earlier post. That piston along with 25nm springs Ohlins provided made a significant improvement and a good ride both 1up and 2up.

After servicing the shocks I asked if they were ever revalved or serviced. And they said no. They were never disassembled and everything was the oem factory setup.

In the spirit of truth and facts the service invoice is attached.

Lastly, those that believe their shocks are custom built, you will never know until they are serviced by a neutral party.  That being said, if you like your ride quality and the price you paid, then does it really matter.   :wink: 

[attach=0]

04 SE Deuce

- When warranted I try to drop a hint without posting names on a public forum,  especially if it's not that serious of an issue.

- I understand this motivates people to post well intended counter opinions which honestly represent their personal perception of the transactions they've had with the person/business/practices being discussed...it's only human.
- Downside is the end user may lack a full technical understanding of the product needed to validate they received what they were sold/told.

Truth is some customers do not really know what shock they have purchased when using a made up part numbering system that reads more like a Chinese food lunch menu.

I expect a retailer to truthfully represent a product and be honest about anything they personally have done to alter the product after receiving it from the manufacturer.  IMO this should be a perquisite to all other aspects of doing business.

Smoke and mirrors:
-Why change and restructure part numbers if an industry leading suspension manufacturer has simple, easy to use part/model numbers that are used industry wide throughout the world by retailers/dealers, service centers, tuner/techs and the companies own facilities/staff?...Just causes confusion for all.
      ~If alternative part numbers are used why not include the manufacturer's part numbers so the consumer can identify the product to facilitate informed purchases and service after the sale?
      ~If a special run of shocks is made by the manufacturer why not include the manufacturer's part number with an explanation of what has be added/changed to make the shock special compared to a standard stocking part numbers?
      ~If shocks are legitimately custom or altered why not include a spec sheet?
      ~Why substitute different terms than the manufacturer to describe shock features?  ie sweep valve instead of rebound adjuster?
      ~Why tell customers that their shocks are custom valved when in fact they have not been touched?  Truth comes out when serviced and valving is found to be per manufacturer's spec card.

I've only had 2 or 3 conversations with this owner over the years. One call trying to identify a set of shocks per his invoice. 
-I asked why the English and metric length measurements on the invoice were not the same?...I got no straight answer.
-I asked if he could identify the shock length per the lengths listed on his invoice?...Was told to send a picture of the shocks.
-I asked if a shorter custom length of that stock model had been made/sold...I was told yes but later verified that to not be true...once in hand shocks in question measured as standard length and no short version has been made.

He was not helpful...only interested in knowing who his dissatisfied customer was.

Contacts from here on HTT along with multiple feedback from industry professionals confirms that deception frequently occurs in humidity.

If being falsely told that your shocks are custom valved makes you feel warm and fuzzy or special...order your #2, #3 or#4 with brown or white rice.

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: KumaRide on May 06, 2020, 06:17:15 PM
Quote from: boggart on May 06, 2020, 01:16:54 PM

One thing that makes this forum better then others is the members tend to seek truth and facts. In this case, the fact is my shocks, like others, were sold as custom built. Yet, they rode terrible. Very harsh and little travel, even 2up.  After much research I learned this is not as "uncommon" as we would think.  I decided to go to the manufacturer and speak with them about it. They understood whats going on and were very familiar with this type of situation and were more then willing to help.

Ohlins first sent a softer variable rate spring, IIRC a 19-26nm, to see if that would help. It did improve ride quality but only slightly. They then offered to custom build the shocks at a discounted and very fair rate.  After a few discussions with them I decided to try the newer style piston as I mentioned in an earlier post. That piston along with 25nm springs Ohlins provided made a significant improvement and a good ride both 1up and 2up.

After servicing the shocks I asked if they were ever revalved or serviced. And they said no. They were never disassembled and everything was the oem factory setup.

In the spirit of truth and facts the service invoice is attached.

Lastly, those that believe their shocks are custom built, you will never know until they are serviced by a neutral party.  That being said, if you like your ride quality and the price you paid, then does it really matter.   :wink: 

[attach=0,msg1345675]

So you bought your shocks from Howard?

HogMike

Quote from: r0de_runr on March 16, 2020, 11:17:09 AM
So I just completed about 850 miles on my second bike, a 2016 R1200RT.  Solo with full saddlebags.  Great suspension.  Just great.

But my primary long distance tourer is a '14 Limited.  I rarely ride it with the trunk unless I am going on a trip, so I ride solo with just a few things in the saddlebags, kind of like a Street Glide.  So I have my air shocks adjusted accordingly and when fully loaded I'm ok with the ride, but there is no getting around the short travel shocks.

I need a shock that would work from a solo 275 lb rider to a two up with luggage 275 lb rider and 200 lb passenger with luggage.  I can see a 500lb load possible but unlikely.

Most miles will be solo 275 lb rider and no trunk, or solo 275 lb rider and ten days of stuff in the saddlebags/trunk.

I am 6ft 2in so I do not need short or low shocks, do they make a 4 inch travel shock?

Thanks for your help.

Sounds to me that you need a shock that has an easy adjustment to increase the load capacity.
Everyone has a different feel for what they like/want in suspension comfort. A lot depends on your riding style.
My BMW RT has an adjustment knob for preload that works quite well, but you can't compare the BMW to the Harley, totally different suspensions. Harley has a premium shock that sorta works (in my opinion) you may want to try. There are other shocks on the market that have some sort of adjustments solo or 2 up.

Suspension talk is similar to seat, oil, spark plugs, tires, etc. talk.
In your situation I can't see one shock can be set up for you solo then adding another person and expect the ride to be the same.

Keep us posted how your search works out!
:potstir:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

DarrellV

I also have a 2014 limited I bought new in 2015. Its about the most stock Harley I've ever had. And for a "gear head" like myself that's strange others say. I did changed the exhaust and retuned it asap. At 53 maybe I'm just getting older, because it's one of the "quietest" also LoL. Now after 60k miles later, I'm thinking of changing the rear shocks and seat which my wife has never liked. I've always ran Progressive shocks on my other Baggers which is a good shock. Any $800+ shock should be better than a stock shock. I'm going to look for a "good deal" on a set of Harley adjustable shocks before I spend big $ for a good set. Have to save $, my wife likes her beer you know.. :soda: